UnevenEdge

Outlaw Star ends March 17th; new show March 24th. What's it gonna be?

OwlChemist81

http://www.adultswim.com/adultswimdynsched/asXml/17.EST.xml

Since Toonami has apparently decided to ignore my suggestions to air a Black Clover marathon on St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, Outlaw Star will end on that date, which theoretically opens up a timeslot for a NEW SHOW on my 37th Birthday, March 24th! Well, technically this show will air on March 25th, after midnight, but I digress. The point is: what's that show gonna be?

If Toonami is looking to replace a space opera with a space opera, Star Blazers 2199 would be a good fit, and for that 2 AM timeslot, quite appropriate as well. But that notwithstanding, the possibilities are nearly endless, as long as the recipient of that timeslot is an older show that would work as a good "anchor show" for the earlier timeslots. Psycho-Pass would be an interesting option, as would something like Future Diary. Then again, we could be talking Trigun, but I'm picking that to replace Cowboy Bebop a couple of weeks later. Since Gundam is coming to an end soon, I guess it could also be a classic mecha series like Full Metal Panic or Aquarion, but for both of those, we ARE talking long-term commitment. So what do you think it's gonna be? 

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

I hadn't considered that it might be FLCL S1. That will probably get a rerun but I just can't see it starting March 24th for a Summer debut. Of course, that could also simply get a mini-marathon from 1-4 AM one week, effectively pre-empting everything from Hunter x Hunter onward. I really don't want Darling in the FRANXX airing that late, but I suppose 1 AM or 1:30 (moving down Hunter x Hunter and/or Shippuden) would be good for it. It also would be a new mecha show to carry on that niche after Gundam IBO, which will only have 4 episodes left at that point, ends.

FACT #1: When a show's pushed back, it normally steps up to fill the next open slot when it comes down to it.

FACT #2: The show that was meant to replace Lupin back in January was pushed back due to "legal issues".

FACT #3: Toonami's show budget resets every January.

FACT #4: If the show mentioned in #2 was originally set to premiere in January, that means Toonami bought it with the money they had leftover from 2017.

FACT #5: Said end-of-year licenses (i.e. Samurai Champloo, Dimension W, maybe Tokyo Ghoul) are more often than not cheap or sweet deals.

CONCLUSION: I don't know what it's gonna be, but it won't be obvious, and that's fine by me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I hadn't considered that it might be FLCL S1. That will probably get a rerun but I just can't see it starting March 24th for a Summer debut. Of course, that could also simply get a mini-marathon from 1-4 AM one week, effectively pre-empting everything from Hunter x Hunter onward. I really don't want Darling in the FRANXX airing that late, but I suppose 1 AM or 1:30 (moving down Hunter x Hunter and/or Shippuden) would be good for it. It also would be a new mecha show to carry on that niche after Gundam IBO, which will only have 4 episodes left at that point, ends.

There’s your April Fools prank. All 6 FLCLs with a special look at season 2 interspersed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m going with something new to Toonami at 2, but maybe an older catalog title from Funimation.

Escaflowne would be interesting since Toonami wanted it back in the old days.

Also, possibly the Lupin replacement show could come in at anytime as an expansion show at 11:00 PM, Pushing the DB hour back to the 10:00 hour.

Edited by brianycpht
Added something I forgot to say

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

FACT #1: When a show's pushed back, it normally steps up to fill the next open slot when it comes down to it.

FACT #2: The show that was meant to replace Lupin back in January was pushed back due to "legal issues".

FACT #3: Toonami's show budget resets every January.

FACT #4: If the show mentioned in #2 was originally set to premiere in January, that means Toonami bought it with the money they had leftover from 2017.

FACT #5: Said end-of-year licenses (i.e. Samurai Champloo, Dimension W, maybe Tokyo Ghoul) are more often than not cheap or sweet deals.

CONCLUSION: I don't know what it's gonna be, but it won't be obvious, and that's fine by me.

Because the new show wasn’t needed until the end of January, it’s certainly possible that it was paid for using the 2018 budget. Champloo was needed first thing in 2016 on the 2nd of January PLUS they needed a promo for it, so that was bought with the 2015 budget. 

But who knows how the accounting works over there. It’s probabky not anything like we think. Do they amortize the costs on a per episode basis or is it all expensed out at once? They picked up Black Clover at the end of the year so who knows how it all works! 

I'm not sure what's going to be coming.  I think I can definitely say that, at the very least, there WILL be a show coming; we aren't going to see the block shrink to 5 hours.  As for what that show COULD be, I have no idea.  My track record for predicting Toonami shows is pretty terrible; I have only predicted one show that came to Toonami (Samurai Champloo), and I predicted that show in a dream three years before it was announced.  All I can really do is look at the options:

A.  It's FLCL Season 1.  This would make sense with the summer premiere of FLCL seasons 2 and 3.  Running through the show twice would put the end date of the show at June 9.  If we assume that we're having a Memorial Day marathon (which we always do), then that puts the end date at June 16.  FLCL 2 premiering June 23 would meet the summer premiere announcement, so at the very least this is plausible. 

Factors against it:

-It's likely that FLCL Season 2 will lead to another expansion of the block, so it may not be worthwhile for them to reair FLCL on the backend.  If FLCL Season 2 did happen to come in at the end of June, and it does expand the block, then they'll be left with two spots to fill (DBZ Kai and FLCL Season 1) in very short succession.

-If my math is right, DBZ Kai should be finished on June 23, so if FLCL Season 2 doesn't expand the block, it could be replacing DBZ Kai.  Given that Toonami doesn't like to shift the block more than necessary, FLCL season 2 taking over for DBZ Kai would be a better option for them than taking over for FLCL reruns.

B. The show, much like Poke suggested, is an older show rerun.  Given that we got Outlaw Star, as well as Cowboy Bebop and GITS back on the block now, I think we can expect an older show rerun to be a relatively regular occurrence.  If this were to be the case for this show, then that opens up some options.  Really, there are three eras of shows that can be considered "older reruns": Cartoon Network Toonami, classic Adult Swim, or reruns of shows that were on Adult Swim Toonami.  As for the options for each of them:

Cartoon Network Toonami:

-The Big O Season 1: Considering Adult Swim has perpetual right to season 2, it would make sense to give the full thing a run one of these days.  It's like airing a full show for the price of half of one!

-Gundam Wing: I think this show will be coming eventually.  If it were to come, though, I imagine it would replace IBO.  Still, Toonami has surprised us before, so who knows?

-YuYu Hakusho: A bit more out there, but I think it would fit.  It IS a long runner, but I think Toonami could get it for fairly cheap.  If they wanted a nice shonen to bolster the back end of the block, this would be it.

Classic Adult Swim:

-Trigun: Really the only show I can think of that would have a shot.  Airing Trigun would complete the Bebop-Outlaw-Trigun sort of trilogy.  Beyond that, it's a good show, and I'm fairly certain Toonami was looking at it prior to it going to Adult Swim.

Adult Swim Toonami;

-Inuyasha: Mostly a pipe dream for me, but Inuyasha at the back end of the block would be awesome.

-Black Lagoon: I think Black Lagoon would have a decent shot at reairing.  Yeah, the ratings probably wouldn't be amazing, but I doubt they'd do any worse than the current ratings.

-Akame ga Kill: I was a bit shocked that this show didn't get a rerun (though I was very pleased Parasyte did).  This could be a chance for Toonami to rectify that.

Factors against it:

-It's admittedly a bit up in the air as to with WHICH budget year this show was bought.  Poke is correct in claiming that shows bought towards the end of a year tend to be lower key shows or reruns.  The announcement of Space Dandy came on January 5, and the show itself came back on Jan 27.  I can't imagine they hashed out a show deal at the beginning of January for another show, so the show deal must have been made in late December.  Because of that, it's REALLY hard to tell if the show was bought with the remainder of the 2017 budget or the beginning of the 2018 budget.  Dragon Ball Super was almost certainly bought with the beginning of 2017's budget, and that was announced in the beginning of December.  So unless they get an advance on their budget for big shows, they have some access to next year's budget at the end of the previous year.  Personally, I think the show is going to be a rerun, but you can definitely make a convincing argument that it's a big name show.

C. It's a new show.  It could be practically anything in that case.

Factors against it:

-Pretty much the budget argument from above.  If it is a new show, it could either be something really big (If bought with 2018 budget), or something low key or relatively unknown (if bought with 2017 budget).

Maybe Sentai decides to deal with Toonami again and we get The Big O (in HD) replacing Outlaw Star? I mean, I've had this feeling that whatever was going to replace Lupin will indeed go in this slot on the 24th, but if it wasn't a very big show, it's hard for me to see what legal issues could bog it down.

FLCL 1 would be best getting a rerun outside of Toonami... well, maybe if they still had an 8:00 p.m. airing of Dragon Ball Super. It's going to be hard to schedule in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I've signed on to Brian's theory that they'll double up on Bebop, and then not air a new show the next week to accommodate April Fool's. Unless they're somehow crazy enough to premiere a show less than two weeks out (the lack of promotion would be concerning), I don't see how it could air on the 24th.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

At this point, I've signed on to Brian's theory that they'll double up on Bebop, and then not air a new show the next week to accommodate April Fool's. Unless they're somehow crazy enough to premiere a show less than two weeks out (the lack of promotion would be concerning), I don't see how it could air on the 24th.

Double Bebop.  You might as well air an “OFF THE AIR” card.

Or that show “Off the air.”

Still makes me wonder about the delay in telling us that by now. There’s no reason to be secretive about double Bebop! 

On Twitter Paul Pescrillo was speculating that they may have had some last minute thing set up for THIS Saturday the anniversary (a movie or something) which also accounts for the lack of Super topical. Obviously, that would push things back as well. I just don’t think it’s wise to do that and then do a stunt 2 weeks later. We’ll see, it’s just really weird we’ve gotten no word on ANYTHING past this Saturday!

Edited by brianycpht

10 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

On Twitter Paul Pescrillo was speculating that they may have had some last minute thing set up for THIS Saturday the anniversary (a movie or something) which also accounts for the lack of Super topical.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. But if they really are planning something else, that just makes this rub off as poor planning.

This is giving me shades of when it took just ten days before the Bebop rerun was announced, but we all thought they were bringing in an emergency premiere to fix the "awful" ratings. Come on, DeMarco... poor communication kills.

Unless they're somehow crazy enough to premiere a show less than two weeks out (the lack of promotion would be concerning), I don't see how it could air on the 24th.

It isn't unprecedented for DeMarco to announce a show with only a week out.  Back when Toonami began that was his original intent, anyway.  It just kept getting thwarted by online schedules announcing it first.  Admittedly, though, they haven't done it in a while, which makes me think that there's an issue with the show that's keeping it from being announced yet.  We'll find out sometime this week, I'm sure, though it may not be until Saturday night.

5 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

It isn't unprecedented for DeMarco to announce a show with only a week out.  Back when Toonami began that was his original intent, anyway.

This is something of the point I want to make, actually. Back then, the block wasn't big enough to make announcing shows beyond a week before their premiere a real concern, but that changed with time. And for a pretty long time, it's been normal that Toonami announces a show several weeks in advance, especially when they were really active on the Tumblr. Most shows announced that way would see it happen a month or so before the premiere, but it's slowly degenerated over time. It got to the point where Hunter × Hunter was announced just fifteen days before airing, and it happened again with Black Clover. I hope we're not going back to the former standard, because I do like to see what's coming 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blatch said:

This is something of the point I want to make, actually. Back then, the block wasn't big enough to make announcing shows beyond a week before their premiere a real concern, but that changed with time. And for a pretty long time, it's been normal that Toonami announces a show several weeks in advance, especially when they were really active on the Tumblr. Most shows announced that way would see it happen a month or so before the premiere, but it's slowly degenerated over time. It got to the point where Hunter × Hunter was announced just fifteen days before airing, and it happened again with Black Clover. I hope we're not going back to the former standard, because I do like to see what's coming 

What advantage is it to them to hold things back until the last second? The only thing I can think of is if they don’t even officially “have the show” under contract until right before air. But for things like marathons and reruns, what’s the point in holding it back from the online schedules ?

3 hours ago, brianycpht said:

What advantage is it to them to hold things back until the last second? The only thing I can think of is if they don’t even officially “have the show” under contract until right before air. But for things like marathons and reruns, what’s the point in holding it back from the online schedules ?

DeMarco's logic about it (from about 5 years ago or so) was that he wanted it to be like the old days, where you had to watch TV in order to figure out what new show was going to be on.  According to him, they didn't really need to promote the shows to get good ratings.

So in summary, there really is no advantage, it's just how DeMarco prefers to think the world works.

24 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

DeMarco's logic about it (from about 5 years ago or so) was that he wanted it to be like the old days, where you had to watch TV in order to figure out what new show was going to be on.  According to him, they didn't really need to promote the shows to get good ratings.

So in summary, there really is no advantage, it's just how DeMarco prefers to think the world works.

Actually, in the old days, we’d find out about new shows from Toonami MONTHS ahead of when they aired. Gundam Wing, Tenchi, Outlaw Star, Big O, ect were announced at least 3-4 months ahead of when they aired. That have them plenty of time to have weeks of promotion with character bios and a few different trailers!

That was under Sean Akins, who also screwed many potential deals because he would say in interviews what they were looking at getting and then FOX KIDS or someone would snag it first. It seems Demarco operates the opposite way and likes to play things REALLY close to the best because of how much more vulnerable Toonami is to competition than before.

But still, the last 3 years we got shows announced for October in the Summer. It must be that they don’t secure the rights to things until the last minute. 

I just don’t see the point in “secret schedules” for things like marathons and reruns unless those are also 11th your decisions 

Edited by brianycpht

1 hour ago, CaptainStarwind said:

We live in the on demand simulcast era where Mexican strip clubs are showing premiere Super episodes and Netflix keeps throwing new anime at me along with whatever new prestige show they have.  You wanna watch Seven Deadly Sins after Jessica Jones?  Go right ahead!

Lazzo’s line of thinking is beyond outdated.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

http://www.adultswim.com/adultswimdynsched/asXml/17.EST.xml

Since Toonami has apparently decided to ignore my suggestions to air a Black Clover marathon on St. Patrick's Day,

Nah the Black Clover Marathon will be on April Fools

hopefully with stupid edits to the footage like in the old days

**sigh** or they'll just show the room all night again

Edited by mochi

56 minutes ago, mochi said:

Nah the Black Clover Marathon will be on April Fools

hopefully with stupid edits to the footage like in the old days

**sigh** or they'll just show the room all night again

How about The Disaster Artist?

Adding on to the "they haven't aired a Super topical yet" angle... they still haven't, if this generic promo on the BookFace is to be determined.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what's happening. It would be stupid for them to preempt the 3/17 schedule on such short notice so they can air something special; pretty much anything they could air as an anniversary celebration would also work for April Fool's. And I can't see them preempting the schedule on both days. If they don't do something for the latter, the Sunday night schedule is set up so that nothing would be missed. There's no other logical reason for Mike Tyson Mysteries to be preempted (unless they've decided to do so for Easter), and it's the week before Ballmastrz: 9009 premieres.

This doesn't really have much to do with the new show, since I guess we've decided it'll premiere on 4/7, but yeah... I'm just not sure. ¬¬

Edited by Blatch

Point is, The Disaster Artist is about the making of the Room and Tommy Wiseau's eccentricities, just like Ed Wood was for Plan 9 from Outer Space and its titular director.

Honestly, I can't see how you could possibly fail to see the comparison other than having tunnel vision worse than what TFS had when they played that one One Piece game.

9 hours ago, Jman said:

Double Bebop.  You might as well air an “OFF THE AIR” card.

Or that show “Off the air.”

I believe that Xmas Bebop marathon holds the record for the lowest ratings ever.

Edited by Daos

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Adding on to the "they haven't aired a Super topical yet" angle... they still haven't, if this generic promo on the BookFace is to be determined.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what's happening. It would be stupid for them to preempt the 3/17 schedule on such short notice so they can air something special; pretty much anything they could air as an anniversary celebration would also work for April Fool's. And I can't see them preempting the schedule on both days. If they don't do something for the latter, the Sunday night schedule is set up so that nothing would be missed. There's no other logical reason for Mike Tyson Mysteries to be preempted (unless they've decided to do so for Easter), and it's the week before Ballmastrz: 9009 premieres.

This doesn't really have much to do with the new show, since I guess we've decided it'll premiere on 4/7, but yeah... I'm just not sure. ¬¬

This whole situation reeks of fishiness.  They have LITERALLY made a topical for every Super episode so far, they may as well be donating to the anime committee!  I wouldn't think they would just absent-mindedly skip a week.

I'm fairly certain a DBS promo aired last week, but I'll check when I get home just to be sure.

Either way, it would be REALLY irresponsible for them to pull a last-minute switcheroo this close to St. Pat's day since like 5 on-screen guides would need to make changes.

Edit: well, that's bizarre. It actually WAS what was depicted on the facebook page! This is fishy, very fishy indeed...

Edited by OwlChemist81

I'm fairly certain a DBS promo aired last week, but I'll check when I get home just to be sure.

Either way, it would be REALLY irresponsible for them to pull a last-minute switcheroo this close to St. Pat's day since like 5 on-screen guides would need to make changes.

Edit: well, that's bizarre. It actually WAS what was depicted on the facebook page! This is fishy, very fishy indeed...

Maybe this strange behavior is leading to something, maybe the prank has already started. This secrecy, the strange lack of a topical for DBS, the silence from Demarco is them screwing with us already. All leading up to :

Watch this week, for an announcement of a show of some kind. A random promo will air this week for it. It will be something very devisive and maybe hated. It will send fandom into a frenzy. They will either say nothing or act like it’s a slam dunk highly requested pickup. They actually go and air it on 3/24 and 3/31 with the announcement of the real new show and a new schedule following its 2nd airing. 

Haha, probably not. I was just throwing my conspiracy hat on for a second. It is very strange indeeed that Demarco hasn’t said anything about the schedule or the topical situation yet though 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Haha 2

If they wanted to do this March 17th marathon deal right, they should have just given Dandy a rest and finished off Outlaw Star with 2 back-to-back episodes last week. But Episode 7, which easily could have been delayed to my birthday (March 24th) aired instead, and now we just might get the last 2 episodes of Outlaw Star separated by 2 weeks! Sounds brutal, but it DID also happen to Samurai Champloo.

Please note that the schedule for 3/17 on [as] official website has NOT changed: https://www.adultswim.com/schedule/

Edited by OwlChemist81

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

Maybe this strange behavior is leading to something, maybe the prank has already started. This secrecy, the strange lack of a topical for DBS, the silence from Demarco is them screwing with us already. All leading up to :

Watch this week, for an announcement of a show of some kind. A random promo will air this week for it. It will be something very devisive and maybe hated. It will send fandom into a frenzy. They will either say nothing or act like it’s a slam dunk highly requested pickup. They actually go and air it on 3/24 and 3/31 with the announcement of the real new show and a new schedule following its 2nd airing. 

Haha, probably not. I was just throwing my conspiracy hat on for a second. It is very strange indeeed that Demarco hasn’t said anything about the schedule or the topical situation yet though 

Divisive and hated... so TG s3 eh?

I'm not the kind of person who usually has this opinion, but if Toonami does air something for their anniversary on such short notice, they deserve the shitty ratings. The block just isn't being run well right now, and this isn't a good look for them when FLCL 2 is coming soon plus some potentially attention-grabbing shows.

At least it's very unlikely their ratings would tank as a result of that... I think.