UnevenEdge

Is Toonami still "mainstream"?

OwlChemist81

I still think so, even if lately it's become less relevant as better, more impactful series end up on Netflix and other streaming services. It still manages to pick up a gem every now and then like One-Punch Man, Attack on Titan, or the new Lupin series. And of course Gundam IBO is quality too, even if it's a bit light on the action.

How about y'all?

Edited by OwlChemist81

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

My cousin's boyfriend got a Rick & Morty t-shirt for Christmas.  He remarked how he doesn't even know what TV channel it comes on and just watches it on Hulu and Youtube.

Man, if someone I knew was that dumb, I'd slap them across the face and tell them to go back to elementary school.

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Man, if someone I knew was that dumb, I'd slap them across the face and tell them to go back to elementary school.

I know this response is probably because you're "extra spicy", but I don't see a problem with not knowing where a show airs on linear TV. I would at least kindly tell them about it.

As for the primary topic... in my opinion, not really. They at least air the Dragon Ball shows, but everything else save for Naruto have never risen beyond cult appeal. Whether or not this is a bad thing is up 2 you.

I'd say it plays a little bit of a role. I'd at least give Toonami credit for helping boost Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, and Sword Art Online's popularity in the States and cultivating the audience for FighterZ, but they're also on Netflix where they've probably gathered more of an audience since then, and it didn't take Kai/Super to make DBZ popular in the US.

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I know this response is probably because you're "extra spicy", but I don't see a problem with not knowing where a show airs on linear TV. I would at least kindly tell them about it.

Yeah, that sounds about right. :P Don't worry, I'll calm down once I find a good "bullied Satellizer" image to use as my next icon.

Toonami's relevance has long since faded.  People simply don't think of TV when watching anime anymore.  It's all online or streaming now, for the most part.  I think the only time you can really say that the Toonami revival has been relevant was the first couple of years (2012-2013, specifically) after it's revival, and even then, whatever relevance Toonami may have had was nothing compared to the influence and relevance it had in it's heyday of the early 2000s. 

Of course, it doesn't really matter in the long run if Toonami is relevant or not.  If it airs shows you wanna watch, then watch 'em.  If not, then don't watch. 

• Haha 1

Toonami’s last big hurrah was Samurai Jack season 5, because it was the last thing the other services didn’t have.

Now?  It’s funny, because anime is less segregated than the first boom by a mile but that integration has left Toonami obsolete almost.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:51 PM, Blatch said:

As for the primary topic... in my opinion, not really. They at least air the Dragon Ball shows, but everything else save for Naruto have never risen beyond cult appeal. Whether or not this is a bad thing is up 2 you.

My point was if people don't even know what channel Rick & Morty comes on they damn sure don't know about Toonami.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2018 at 12:54 AM, Jman said:

Toonami’s last big hurrah was Samurai Jack season 5, because it was the last thing the other services didn’t have.

Now?  It’s funny, because anime is less segregated than the first boom by a mile but that integration has left Toonami obsolete almost.

Don't worry I'm sure Demarco will scramble to get another show that no one gives a shit about to make up for it.

34 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Don't worry I'm sure Demarco will scramble to get another show that no one gives a shit about to make up for it.

Boruto or Gundam Thunderbolt. Oh and S3 of TG.

That's all I can think of that's on par with airing Black Clover.

2 minutes ago, Daos said:

Boruto or Gundam Thunderbolt. Oh and S3 of TG.

That's all I can think of that's on par with airing Black Clover.

I had this thought.  What if Tokyo Ghoul:Re is what they're making us wait for that Dandy had to act as placeholder for? D:

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I had this thought.  What if Tokyo Ghoul:Re is what they're making us wait for that Dandy had to act as placeholder for? D:

That wouldn't be it, since TG:Re was never announced for January. It's not coming out until April so the situation doesn't match what we know about the "mystery show".

But I have to admit, for Toonami not to have gotten Darling In The Franxx to replace Lupin is pretty laughable. I guess it COULD replace Gundam later on, though that's what I'm hoping Tokyo Ghoul: Re does. And then there are slots in the nostalgia zone that will be free soon, though DITF would move everything before it down.

Also waiting somewhere in the wings with its long-awaited English dub is Re:Zero. That should be an expansion (to 10 PM) show!

Edited by OwlChemist81

38 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That wouldn't be it, since TG:Re was never announced for January. It's not coming out until April so the situation doesn't match what we know about the "mystery show".

But I have to admit, for Toonami not to have gotten Darling In The Franxx to replace Lupin is pretty laughable. I guess it COULD replace Gundam later on, though that's what I'm hoping Tokyo Ghoul: Re does. And then there are slots in the nostalgia zone that will be free soon, though DITF would move everything before it down.

Also waiting somewhere in the wings with its long-awaited English dub is Re:Zero. That should be an expansion (to 10 PM) show!

Darling in the Franxx is basically 'doggy-style: the coming-of-age mech anime", so it'd be PERFECT for Toonami.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

You never know what they could have planned.  Some shows have premiered outside of Japan first, after all.  Maybe Demarco was thinking this would be the ultimate coup.

But the question is, does Demarco have the sense to get either of those must-get big-hit perfect fit shows?

I honestly don't know what kind of sense you can be said to have if you air BC after seeing the reviews. All I know about him.. is he likes mechs... he likes old stuff.... and he likes shows that are clones of other shows that have already shown.

That's why I still say its Kabaneri the AOT clone.

They seemed to be on the ball for the first few years, getting the right shows at the right times, and making up for past mistakes of ASA by airing things like Final Act and Soul Eater.  We had more variety back then as well.  And there was really little to no retro stuff.  It was actually a running gag of sorts of them telling people that "Toonami is moving forward" whenever people would request for them to bring back old stuff.  That seems like the fucking Twilight Zone now.  Demarco even said that they don't need Dragon Ball at one point. :D This when they couldn't get it, of course.  They pounced on it as soon as it was available. 

But since then, they've destroyed about all of the previous goodwill and confidence they had built up.  Demarco can blame competition, but he can't have realistically expected to keep operating in a void indefinitely.  They dealt with competition during the original Toonami too, after all.  And "competition" doesn't explain them picking up the stupid shit they did get.  There were still other, better options, even if Netflix, Hulu, and others nabbed their first choices.