UnevenEdge

around the same time Yuri on Ice was airing

mochi

I vaguely recall some people talking about ANOTHER Gay anime that was airing at the same time

but it mustn't have been that good since it's fanbase died off very quickly

it was called "Spiritpact" and it was apparently, similar to a Shonen anime in behavior and use of clichee's, but it's protagonists were in effect a Married gay couple

Spirit-Pact2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

generally what I've heard is that the first episode was terrible and most viewers dropped it after ep 1

it was based on a Chinese webcomic I believe

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Chinese anime is infamous for being worse than its Japanese counterpart, though they're getting a little better at it.

I think I've yet to see a main character in one of these Chinese co-pros that isn't a total douche. Some have had decent concepts, Hitorinoshita sounded interesting at first, but it was a tad annoying. 

I think you'd really hate it, mochi.  Despite flagrant bait scenes as per your post, they really emphasize that they're just spirit buddies, and not gay.  I.e., their lives are literally connected, but in an I-love-ya-bro kinda way.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed it for its unabashed stupidity.  It was completely unpredictable (because no one behaves rationally and no plot twist is foreshadowed at all) and easy on the eyes (if terrible animation doesn't make you go blind).  I usually got several good laughs an episode, and Ki (the silver-haired bishie) randomly spitting up blood to punctuate his sentences never got old. It's sort of the animated version of those old dime-budget sword & sorcery chop-socky drive-in movies from the 70s, with more sorcery and less socky.  Especially toward the end where they sort of ran out of plot, so they kept piling on new perils every scene to try to stretch things out.

The last few episodes were like watching little kids fight in a mud pit. One slips and falls and seems down for the count, another one crawls over to take advantage but slips and falls on him, and a third one piles on, only to have the first one squirm out from under and resume throwing mud everywhere, don't rinse, do repeat, several times until everyone is too tired to move. Good times.

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 1

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2016/fall

Man, looking through that season, it really was just Yuri on Ice and 3-gatsu no Lion carrying everyone else.

There were some sequels and Keijo was ok, but most of that season was bleh. Spiritpact isn’t even the only Chinese anime on there, since Bloodivores came in to crap everything up along with it.

11 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I think you'd really hate it, mochi.  Despite flagrant bait scenes as per your post, they really emphasize that they're just spirit buddies, and not gay.  I.e., their lives are literally connected, but in an I-love-ya-bro kinda way.

Considering they make out and I've seen evidence of an implied sex scene I find that hard to believe

1 hour ago, imchapp.in said:

Man, looking through that season, it really was just Yuri on Ice and 3-gatsu no Lion carrying everyone else.

There were some sequels and Keijo was ok, but most of that season was bleh. Spiritpact isn’t even the only Chinese anime on there, since Bloodivores came in to crap everything up along with it.

yeeeah, I don't recall ANY of 2016's anime being praised as much as YOI was so I'd believe that

3 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

So maybe it was also YOI's luck that it happened to come out in a rather dull season.

21 hours ago, elfie said:

So maybe it was also YOI's luck that it happened to come out in a rather dull season.

The latter half of the year didn't have much going for it other than Yuri on Ice or the last episodes of Diamond is Unbreakable. I don't think it would've been overshadowed by other great anime that year, but instead I believe it would've made Winter and Spring 2016 seasons into even bigger behemoths with the company of Hero Academia, Re:Zero, KonoSuba, Erased, and Bungou Stray Dogs. Spring 2016 in particular was a very good season. Summer had Mob Psycho and DR3 as its largest "event" shows, but DiU and Re:Zero's 2nd cours overshadowed alot of it. 

Even though I don't think Yuri on Ice would've been ignored if it came by in a season full of great anime, it did a larger service for Fall 2016 for coming out then.

Edited by imchapp.in

15 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It apparently eclipsed it so hard that it isn't even on MyAnimeList.

I think there've been some parts of the anime community (MAL, Reddit) that don't count shows like Spiritpact as "anime" because they're created primarily for a Chinese audience. 

those two remind me of the protagonists from that one shounen ai anime that came out way back when..had a sci-fi element to it..forgot the name...

one of them had short silver hair as well...bunch of people in OA watched it.

ill come back if i remember the name.

20 minutes ago, Hidden said:

those two remind me of the protagonists from that one shounen ai anime that came out way back when..had a sci-fi element to it..forgot the name...

on that note I'm vaguely tempted to go back and watch a bunch of older, terrible Shonen ai animes

not for any particular reason other than to laugh at them

On 1/19/2018 at 6:49 AM, mochi said:

Considering they make out and I've seen evidence of an implied sex scene I find that hard to believe

The kiss in the pic you posted was Ki transferring his power to You to keep him from being dead-dead, like breathing life into him.  I don't recall any sex scene between them.  But maybe that's because the series goes out of its way to scatter bait around while providing "explanations" for why all the gay stuff is happening but isn't really gay - exactly the kind of shit you're always complaining about.  Ki has a female fiance who he'll eventually marry, but Ki's adoptive mother or the clan head or whatever she was was delighted that he got himself a shadow spirit and treated You like his spouse.

I'm not telling you not to watch it, I'm just saying I think you'll be throwing things at the screen if you do.  :)

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 12:31 AM, Hidden said:

Terra e?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2158/Terra_e_TV

39 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

No. 6 comes to mind since that's actual shounen ai. Terra E disappointed me sooo much.

Yeah I'm assuming they mean no.6 since that is a literal shonen ai anime with a white haired and Black haired main couple

series also has a SEEMINGLY trans man supporting character since the character in question "looks" female but every other character refers to them as a man

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_46n3v9x7dsu8

Edited by mochi

I do remember that being a badge of honor to see the MS Paint Wickerman reference I made pop up for a day around /a/ when it first aired.

I can’t say I retained many memories of CSW I’d like to remember, but it was fun posting about that show, Occult Academy, Niseimonogatari, and Hanasaku Iroha. I stumbled across an old one I made of C-Control, and felt embarrassed recently. 

7 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Ah, No.6. I remember it being pretty decent up until they infiltrated the facility around the end. I did like the Dogkeeper character though. 

if I recall the ending of the no.6 anime was admitted to being a rush Job because they anime was ending but they wanted to retain the final confirmation that Shion and Nezumi were gay

so they ran through a bunch of chapters and skipped to the big kiss in the space of a few eps

5 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

I can’t say I retained many memories of CSW I’d like to remember, but it was fun posting about that show, Occult Academy, Niseimonogatari, and Hanasaku Iroha. I stumbled across an old one I made of C-Control, and felt embarrassed recently. 

Yeah, the CSW times weren't the best but I remember a good half of them fondly, your posts being the best amongst them. Your reviews of Mayo Chiki made me extremely glad that I had watched Yuruyuri instead that season.

• 3 months later...

Well, the last episode of the second season of Spirit Pact aired today.  @mochi if you can make it through the first season, you might actually like the second one.  It's still as ridiculously convoluted as the first, and Tanmoku Ki still coughs up blood to punctuate his sentences (but they actually make a back-handed reference to that in series, which was hilarious, as well as a major plot point!), but they're quite a bit bolder with the soul-mate thing and kissing, even if they still avoid the main issue by couching it all in supernatural terms.  I.e., they do both seem to really care about each other as people and equals and not just as spirit master and spirit shadow.  And overall, I thought it was just executed better, and more interesting overall.

It looks like the want a third season, given the ending, so now's your chance to catch up in case they get one.  Since it's a Chinese gig, I don't think it will ever get more explicit than kissing.  I'm surprised they got that much by the censors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Well, the last episode of the second season of Spirit Pact aired today.  @mochi if you can make it through the first season, you might actually like the second one.  It's still as ridiculously convoluted as the first, and Tanmoku Ki still coughs up blood to punctuate his sentences (but they actually make a back-handed reference to that in series, which was hilarious, as well as a major plot point!), but they're quite a bit bolder with the soul-mate thing and kissing, even if they still avoid the main issue by couching it all in supernatural terms.  I.e., they do both seem to really care about each other as people and equals and not just as spirit master and spirit shadow.  And overall, I thought it was just executed better, and more interesting overall.

It looks like the want a third season, given the ending, so now's your chance to catch up in case they get one.  Since it's a Chinese gig, I don't think it will ever get more explicit than kissing.  I'm surprised they got that much by the censors.

I've heard so, someone even showed me some screenshots