UnevenEdge

What will Toonami's first new show of 2018 be?

OwlChemist81

Now that the mystery of the holiday marathons has been solved, the next question is: what replaces Lupin the 3rd: The Italian Adventure on January 27th?

Personally, I would love to see the long-awaited dub of Star Blazers 2199; it's finally premiering online on FUNimation and VRV, and DeMarco has gone on record saying he wants to air it on the block. It, like Lupin, is a modern-day remake of an old, old concept, and I feel would be ideal for the 1:30 AM timeslot.

Another interesting possibility would be Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga. It had a suspiciously short streaming run on Hulu, and Toonami would have to have their eye on it since they aired the first season. A mid-block 1:30 timeslot seems slightly unfair for a series just over a year old, but keep in mind the first season aired its first 10 episodes in that timeslot.

What else do you think it could possibly be? I believe we'll know sometime around Christmas!

Edited by OwlChemist81

At this point, I actually think Toonami is going to bypass Lupin, expand the block to 10:00 p.m. (and six hours), and put a new-ish SimulDub on at around midnight for the first weekend of the year. It's all just so delightfully screwy.

That's the situation where Knight's & Magic would be more likely. However, assuming they don't mess with the slot, I think Blood Blockade Battlefront is a strong pick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

This is something, that should happen. Honestly, I feel that Blue Exorcist should air before Stardust Crusaders. Then, more viewers can watch it. This schedule needs some rotation.

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga is a Hulu exclusive that will never touch the halls of the Vindication.

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Oh, you think there's another new show coming in in 2018? Nice theory!

If January 2015 was the cutback, 2017 shall go down in history as the gradual "ratings be damned" regrowth!

I had heard we would get to rewatch FLCL S1 in HD at some point before S2, and I wonder how that will be done...

It's not that so much as we've had so many unexpected expansions lately that I have no doubts they'll do it again. But I do generally believe the first new show will replace Lupin, and it's reflected upon in this prediction matrix I made. Why not copy it over and make your own?

For FLCL, I do know that it's out on Blu-ray at least in America, but it's more of an upscale that also has miscellaneous issues. I own the DVD version, which some consider to be superior. I don't know how the show was produced (i.e. if it was done on film), so I can't say if a true remaster is possible.

12 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Now that the mystery of the holiday marathons has been solved, the next question is: what replaces Lupin the 3rd: The Italian Adventure on January 27th?

Personally, I would love to see the long-awaited dub of Star Blazers 2199; it's finally premiering online on FUNimation and VRV, and DeMarco has gone on record saying he wants to air it on the block. It, like Lupin, is a modern-day remake of an old, old concept, and I feel would be ideal for the 1:30 AM timeslot.

Another interesting possibility would be Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga. It had a suspiciously short streaming run on Hulu, and Toonami would have to have their eye on it since they aired the first season. A mid-block 1:30 timeslot seems slightly unfair for a series just over a year old, but keep in mind the first season aired its first 10 episodes in that timeslot.

What else do you think it could possibly be? I believe we'll know sometime around Christmas!

Blue Exorcist 2 is still under streaming rights somewhere else.

One show I'd like to see picked up, but I know it won't is Jormungand. It's a bit like Black Lagoon, but not as memorable. It's still a solid series.

However, that's more of a "Wish List" selection and not an actual possibility. I'm not sure what they would pick up in all actuality.

• Like 1

Well given Toonami's track record... it won't be something that's good. So Mob Psycho and Abyss are out of the question. They try to get stuff with loads of name recognition.. so Blood Blockade probably won't be happening. They don't like to air anything with boobs.. so no Ecchi stuff.

Maybe they'll get good and suddenly surprise us with GATE or Tanya the Evil? But honestly, my money is on a rerun of Champioo or an equally stupid decision. I honestly have no idea. After Black Clover I'm not going to put anything past these idiots.

Ok my final legit and totally wrong guesses will be ..... Assassination Classroom, Charlotte, and Overlord.

Edited by Daos

Even with rights issues, I'd say maybe Mob Psycho or MHA.

But then the block runs the issue of being overtly shonen heavy. Kabaneri or Blood Blockade would be good fits (perhaps even the Space Battleship Yamato remake). Ushio & Tora is shonen as fuck but in a very 90's / Inuyasha-esque way; I'd be very down for that (plus they haven't had a Sentai show in a while).

I would love to see Psycho-Pass, particularly with minimal edits. That aside, Scrapped Princess would be a good fit (wish list on my part).

FLCL S1 if they have S2 and S3 close to ready. BBB would be a good fit as well, particularly as it has a second season streaming now.

Really, the picking is secondary to the need for Toonami to distance itself from the requirement for streaming rights. Toonami is a broadcast programming package, be that. [as] cannot compete with Netflix, Hulu or even VRV when it comes to streaming. Unless they can get Turner to back them with serious capital (Turner can't get the capital even if they were so inclined as the Trump regime is currently shitting on them and AT&T over merger talks) streaming is always going to be something of a pipe-dream.

22 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

The block needs more Seinen Action. Even though I like watching Shonen, there should be more variety. I'd like to see something somewhat similar to Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, etc. The only Seinen Action Anime airing right now are tired shows, that air last.

Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) 2199 would fit the bill on Seinen action, right?

I daresay Lupin is Seinen. Comedic slapstick Seinen, but Seinen nonetheless.

Replacing it with a shonen such as Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga would be a mistake.

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 12/9/2017 at 7:06 PM, Daos said:

High School of the Dead

I'll be the first one to admit that I'd love so much to see that on Toonami.  Well, that and a rerun of FMA 2003.  It'll never happen, of course.  But I can dream.

I think Blue Exorcist S2 is a decent guess.  Of course, my guesses for what Toonami will pick up are always dead wrong, so it's probably gonna end up being Thundercats 2011 Season 2, co-produced by Jason DeMarco.

• Haha 2

The man says no Ecchi or Harem so 90 percent of anime is off the table.

Given that they like to show stuff similar to the stuff they've shown before.... and given its popularity in Japan AND a brand new English Dub....... I think Kabaneri is the new front runner.

• Like 1