UnevenEdge

Winter Anime 2018

BUU8800

Winter Anime 2018  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What are you planning on checking out?

• Slow Start
    • Mitsuboshi Colors
    • Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
    • Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
    • Killing Bites
    • The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of the Commandments
    • Dagashi Kashi Season 2
    • Gakuen Babysitters
    • Overlord Season 2
    • Citrus
    • Hakumei to Mikochi
    • Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls
    • Takunomi
    • Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
    • The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Season 2
    • Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc
    • Sanrio Danshi
    • Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san
    • Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
    • Other(Specify in Comments)

Happy nearly December all! Well the year's(mercifully) almost finished. And while the latter half of 2017 turned out pretty terrible for me all things considered, it could be worse. Still not remotely caught up on all the anime I hoped to watch over the past 6 months, but I am looking forward to being able to keep up with things weekly again in the winter!(fingers crossed) So let's look at what 2018's earliest months have to offer us:

MAL

AniChart

LiveChart

So what looks good all? There are several sequels I plan on checking out eventually, but not as they're airing. Dagashi Kashi and Seven Deadly Sins come to mind, the latter because we're heading into my least favorite part of the story and the former in an attempt to limit my viewing in the early going. I'm a bit undecided on Overlord's sequel yet. I'm leaning at the moment towards watching it weekly though. And Saiki Kusuo? Well the first series was wonderful so that's a no brainer! :D

But what about new series? Karakai Jouzu Takagi-san and Koi wa Ameagari no You ni are two adaptations of manga I've been reading for a long time now. I expect both to be very strong series, possibly the best of the season. I'm also up to date on the manga for Death March. I was very enthusiastic regarding that during the beginning, though I've cooled down a bit on it as it's gone on. Still could be good though.

Then there are the standard cgdct shows I love so much. Yuru Camp, Mitsuboshi Colors, Slow Start, etc. I'll hafta pick and choose which of those to watch weekly and which to hold off on for now. Finally, for me, there's Killing Bites. I read the first chapter of this many, many months ago. Well before the anime was announced. Never went back to it, but I'm expecting some violence and fanservice. Definitely expecting one of the sleaziest series of the season. And that's it! So as I said before, what looks good all?

• Like 1

Voted for a couple things, but it'll really depend on what CR/FUNi grab, as well as whenever Netflix adds anything they license. 

I'll probably check out at least the first episode of everything that's available legally and on the services I subscribe to. Still don't really pay much attention to charts before a season starts, but I've started dropping things pretty quickly lately. 

Also: Poptepipic

Edited by EyeOfPain

I know this is stereotypical mochi behavior but please tell me at least one of these shows is going to have some gay content

(I mean cardcaptor Sakura might since her brother canonically has a fucking boyfriend, but Clamp has given odd statements about sexuality in recent years, such as saying that being gay isn't real)

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

.... *_* Holy shit I'm not interested in seeing ANY of those.  This hasn't happened since becoming a seasonal anime fan since 2009!  And even now in the Fall 2017 I am only watching 2 shows and contemplating dropping those too!  Maybe I'll be interested in a few of these when I see more of it, or see what people are saying about them.  And if nothing still catches my interest, I'll use Winter to follow some older shows I never got around to watching instead.

Well, lots of continuations and sequels (Magus Bride, Yowapeda, Saiki K., Overlord, March Lion, Dagashi Kashi, Garo, Gintama, Osomatsu-san, Food Wars, Touken Ranbu). 

I don't see Violet Evergarden on your list and that looks like it should be really amazing to look at, if nothing else, but the plot looks interesting too.  Beatless could be good, depending on if they go for the maudlin or the philosophical.  Gakuen Babysitters could be a cute comedy or utter trash.

Even if few of the new entries pan out, I'll still have plenty of 2nd cour/season stuff to watch.

elfie, I don't know how you got through this season watching only 2 shows.  Children of the Whales, Ancient Magus Bride, MMO Junkie, and Girls' Last Tour have all been wonderful, and even Garo is turning out to be pretty decent.  I'm also loving the hell out of Blood, Block and Beyond and Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2 (this one's an acquired taste, I suppose) and I hear Houseki no Kuni (the one about the genderless gem people that mostly look like women) is great, though I shelved it to avoid dealing with all the political issues in just talking about it.  Weirdly, that's an issue in Kino's Journey as well, but c'est la vie.  This version is so mediocre, it doesn't much matter to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Well, lots of continuations and sequels (Magus Bride, Yowapeda, Saiki K., Overlord, March Lion, Dagashi Kashi, Garo, Gintama, Osomatsu-san, Food Wars, Touken Ranbu). 

I don't see Violet Evergarden on your list and that looks like it should be really amazing to look at, if nothing else, but the plot looks interesting too.  Beatless could be good, depending on if they go for the maudlin or the philosophical.  Gakuen Babysitters could be a cute comedy or utter trash.

Even if few of the new entries pan out, I'll still have plenty of 2nd cour/season stuff to watch.

elfie, I don't know how you got through this season watching only 2 shows.  Children of the Whales, Ancient Magus Bride, MMO Junkie, and Girls' Last Tour have all been wonderful, and even Garo is turning out to be pretty decent.  I'm also loving the hell out of Blood, Block and Beyond and Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2 (this one's an acquired taste, I suppose) and I hear Houseki no Kuni (the one about the genderless gem people that mostly look like women) is great, though I shelved it to avoid dealing with all the political issues in just talking about it.  Weirdly, that's an issue in Kino's Journey as well, but c'est la vie.  This version is so mediocre, it doesn't much matter to me.

Actually I don't have time to watch a lot of anime per season. That's the usual for me. I have a day job and stuff to do on my free time. 

MMO Junkie: I am actually following the dub of this so I am 4 episodes behind, but yes it is very good.

BBB- not watching it because I gave up on the first season since I heard it doesn't follow the manga. .... until this season when I Heard it DID. Making me wonder what the source was! *_*

Houseki no Kuni- Didn't catch it once I read it was gonna be all-CGI, a personal and admittedly unfair pet peeve of mine for any anime like that. I animate in 2D, so ........ add up the numbers.

Edited by elfie

On 12/9/2017 at 12:39 AM, elfie said:

.... *_* Holy shit I'm not interested in seeing ANY of those.  This hasn't happened since becoming a seasonal anime fan since 2009!  And even now in the Fall 2017 I am only watching 2 shows and contemplating dropping those too!  Maybe I'll be interested in a few of these when I see more of it, or see what people are saying about them.  And if nothing still catches my interest, I'll use Winter to follow some older shows I never got around to watching instead.

You should give Overlord a shot. 

On 12/9/2017 at 8:53 PM, elfie said:

Actually I don't have time to watch a lot of anime per season. That's the usual for me. I have a day job and stuff to do on my free time. 

MMO Junkie: I am actually following the dub of this so I am 4 episodes behind, but yes it is very good.

BBB- not watching it because I gave up on the first season since I heard it doesn't follow the manga. .... until this season when I Heard it DID. Making me wonder what the source was! *_*

Houseki no Kuni- Didn't catch it once I read it was gonna be all-CGI, a personal and admittedly unfair pet peeve of mine for any anime like that. I animate in 2D, so ........ add up the numbers.

From everything I've heard, Land of the Lustrous looks amazing, despite being a fully CG show. I haven't seen it myself, due to Amazon Strike, but I picked up the few volumes of manga, and it's a really interesting, funny story. 

The first season of BBB just an original story to tie the season together, and it was still good. Beyond has also been great, but it's just a series of stories without anything to really tie them all together, besides the characters working together. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 4:48 PM, imchapp.in said:

I forgot about Fate/Extra.

SHAFT making it is a plus for me, but I'm most excited to see pirate waifu Rider.

I don't know if Fate/Extra's first episode was good or if I enjoyed it purely because that weed was way stronger than it had any right to be  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, naraku360 said:

I don't know if Fate/Extra's first episode was good or if I enjoyed it purely because that weed was way stronger than it had any right to be  

I watched it a couple days ago. It feels dramatically different from any Fate material I've come across, and so far it's looking like the perfect spin-off for SHAFT to take on. 

The school going from totalitarian bloodsport academy to meltdown digital murder festival was quite the rollercoaster. Hakuno started off being meh with his hate boner for everything, but I feel like his attitude became fully justified after Shinji stabbed him to save himself. His "I hate everything" monologues became really funny as he's being thrown into a chasm by his asshole friend. I am hoping Tamamo shows up, but Nero's a good second option.

Alright well it's been a month and I think every show has aired at least one episode so...anyone wanna comment on which op and ed they are enjoying most this season? As far as openings go the one for Yuru Camp is definitely the most catchy and uplifting and generally awesome from all the shows I'm watching:

Everytime it starts I hafta blast the volume for it. xD Figured I'd post it in full from youtube but who knows how long that video will last? There are several other decent ones but none seem to match Yuru Camp for me. The one for Kokkoku is enjoyable, but in a very different way:

Normally a song like this would definitely not be for me but I dunno, it kinda works in an odd way. That last section from about 40 seconds in is catchy as all fuck for some crazy, unexplainable reason. xD Now as far as endings go I'm a bit more lukewarm on all of them from the shows I'm watching. None really stick out as being particularly above the rest. If I had to pick a couple I'd go with Hakumei to Mikochi:

Not a great video I know but it's what I could find from just a quick search so sue me. And the other would probably be from Death March which I can't really even find on youtube. So....anyone else?