UnevenEdge

Ant Keeping

André Toulon

I try to encourage all of my kid's interest, but I'm not so sure about this one.

I've been watching videos about this, but I'm completely confused.......I think all of these videos are for advanced ant keepers.  I mean the one I watching now is talking about acquiring queens on the black market....I mean, I didn't know there was an illegal ant trade.

Anybody ever do this, because I was thinking about just digging some ants up but apparently that not how this works

You can usually find ant farm kits at hobby stores. You buy the kit and send a postcard in, they then send you the ants for your farm. Life expectancy is hit and miss with them - they usually end up escaping. :D But you will at least get live ants for the short term in a kid friendly kit.  :)

Back on the boards when Merrill fell butt-first on a fire ant hill, a bunch of people from the boards sent him ant farms for the hell of it. I painted the set up and added a bunch of rhinestones and renamed it 'the PlayAnt Mansion' complete with a horrible centerfold of a half-nekid ant.  >:D

Back to shrimp then.

He'll love em

Nah, we're getting ants.  Not really sure why you're stuck on trying to deviate from the plan......I was simply trying to find out if it was easier than it looked, because it seems to be a lot of work and maintenance for creatures that function very well on their own.

I have no idea how ant farms work, but given the colony acts as a singular organism (individual ants acting as body parts to the whole) I would imagine you would need to duplicate the process of birthing that organism.

The thing is, I had never considered that until I started paying attention to these ant videos.  I was taught about ants, but this is all I know.  'There are workers, and there is a queen.....Some really hurt when they bite and water doesn't kill them'

That all i knew.  But Buddy has had this benign passion since he was 3.  When we first moved into this house I didn't have any streaming services.....Just Youtube.  He would watch this video every morning, like 10 times before school (adding a space because I don't want this video to embed and make my post any bigger) https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI.  He grew up asking me about ants, but I honestly couldn't answer most of his questions because I was never curious about them....All I ever did was set them on fire for fun.

Buddy follows them....Observes them for huge chunks of time.  He's a hyper kid, but when it comes to ants, he's careful and methodical.  He even names them.....Of course he's not seeing the same ants every day, but that's how much he cares.  (though it would be fucking awesome if he had some mutant power and he could tell them apart)(less cool if he's somehow part of the hivemind)

LSS, when I told him that we can just get some ants and put them in a farm, he looked at me like I was retarded and I started paying attention to his ant videos because he was appalled that I would suggest that he doesn't need his own queen.