UnevenEdge

LGBT fiction

mochi

post any LGBT works of fiction you've read, or that you happen to know of

can be any genre,

Young Adult, sci-fi, romance, ect.

I only made this thread because I've realized I do not read nearly enough and while LGBT characters are not a necessity, I would like my eventual book collection to include at least some LGBT books....as it currently has none, just a bunch of Shonen Manga and art books

*Cracks knuckles* Alrighty then.

Some things I've read or have on my reading list:

Masks books by Hayden Thorne which are gay teen superhero stories

A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson(Fantasy)

The Magpie Lord by K.J. Charles, and another book by her called Rag and Bone(Historical fantasy)

Iron and Velvet by Alexis Hall(Noir), Glitterland(Contemporary) by the same author

Roller Girl by Vanessa North(Contemporary)

Sutphin Boulevard by Santino Hassell(Contemporary)

A Chip in His Shoulder by L.A. Witt(Scifi)

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling(Fantasy)

Cinder Ella by S.T. Lynn

Widdershins by Jordan L. Hawk(Historical Fantasy)

The Soldier's Scoundrel by Cat Sebastian(Regency)

Like Coffee and Doughnuts by Elle Parker(Cozy Mystery)

SubSurdity by Eric Arvin(Contemporary) - also a special shoutout to a very good man who recently passed away from a shitty genetic disease that formed brain tumors.

I'll stop here because I've got to do some marketing for my second book. Good luck with finding new stuff to read, everyone!

• 8 months later...

The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

Fantasy series [there's a butt-ton of Heralds of Valdemar books]. Young adult although I've heard some people bitch about some of the content being 'too adult'

such as certain character deaths and how they come about along with the main character being gay with an actual open boyfriend

. The main character finds out he's shay along with a whole bunch of other things that just sort of avalanche through to the final book in the trilogy.

Herald novels usually have a shay in them somewhere [although you might not know until a few books down the road] because in Valdemar, most people don't give a crap about the gender of your partner as long as you can do your job. There's even a job group within one of the lost vales that is specifically same-sexed only healers.

They do fall under my 'brain candy' list though to be fair. Fun and enjoyable reads, I usually use them as brain floss between thicker type reads.

The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

Fantasy series [there's a butt-ton of Heralds of Valdemar books]. Young adult although I've heard some people bitch about some of the content being 'too adult'

such as certain character deaths and how they come about along with the main character being gay with an actual open boyfriend

. The main character finds out he's shay along with a whole bunch of other things that just sort of avalanche through to the final book in the trilogy.

Herald novels usually have a shay in them somewhere [although you might not know until a few books down the road] because in Valdemar, most people don't give a crap about the gender of your partner as long as you can do your job. There's even a job group within one of the lost vales that is specifically same-sexed only healers.

They do fall under my 'brain candy' list though to be fair. Fun and enjoyable reads, I usually use them as brain floss between thicker type reads.

a good suggestion for an older story (didn't even know there were gay ya novels that far back)

worth noting that a later book apparently implies the supposedly gay main character

sleeps with a woman anyway between books but he apparently flat out says he only did it so he and his husband could have kids(and artificial ensementation's not a thing in the setting) and wouldn't have otherwise

, so still gay

a good suggestion for an older story (didn't even know there were gay ya novels that far back)

worth noting that a later book apparently implies the supposedly gay main character

sleeps with a woman anyway between books but he apparently flat out says he only did it so he and his husband could have kids(and artificial ensementation's not a thing in the setting) and wouldn't have otherwise

, so still gay

That was the set up for future books

he was good friends with both the king and the queen, the king was dying slowly and an heir was desperately needed or else there'd be issues later. it was all done with consent with all parties because it was known he wouldn't tell anyone and the 'heir' would be considered legitimate. Even the Companions kept silent. FYI, he actually had two children. he helped a shay couple who absolutely couldn't function as straight long enough to impregnate a surrogate so they could raise a child 'of their own' which in their culture was perfectly acceptable.

. But yep, always gay and out.

• 9 months later...

I don't know if it belongs here because it didn't really include anything about the modern LGBT experience, but a long time ago I read a book called Spaceman Blues: A Love Song. It was about a man searching for his lost lover, who was also a man.

Really fantastic book. A little different, if i recall it was in present tense or something weird like that. But enjoyable.