UnevenEdge

Outlaw Star HD episode 1 discussion(In loving memory of Luuv)

mochi

This is ridiculous. I always figured that the reason for the "pillarbox" was just because of laziness by companies and/or TV networks not formatting the shows for HDTVs. So things that were fullscreen on projection TVs but can't be formatted for HDTVs have to be pillarboxed like this is what you're saying. This is ridiculously dumb. Then what I'm wondering is how DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters goes fullscreen just fine on an HDTV.

For an older 4:3 show, you have to crop off some of the top and bottom in order to fill the screen.

24fzcj4.jpg

A lot of networks do this (as well as what Toei did for The Final Chapters), but some networks prefer to air the pillarboxed version to preserve the original image (as it should be).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the final chapters was produced like that over in japan land which is why it's 16:9 here as well. i for one am glad they didn't do a shitty upscale for this show because most of the time they look like shit. see: o.g naruto and inuyasha when they were still on the air.

Yup. Some upscales can be pretty decent, especially when they don't change the aspect ratio, but this actually got a real remastering by Sunrise in Japan for the Japanese blu-ray release, which is why it looks so good. :)

For those not in the know, they call that "pan and scan". Though [as] tends to ignore it and do the 16:9 stretch for their old shows. At least it stopped for Toonami around the time Cowboy Bebop first aired in HD.

Actually, DBZ Kai preceded that. That was the first show to be aired in pillarbox format, on November 8, 2014. Cowboy Bebop HD had its short-lived 5-episode run begin January 3, 2015.

a special note to any new viewers watching this show blind (if there even are any)

it's not your ordinary space adventure anime, for what ever reason there is a TON of Swords and Sorcery Lord of the Rings type Mythology incorporated into the show in addition to the aliens and spaceships

...Sooo, Star Wars? :P

It aired when AS was only on weekends back in the day, but it was featured on weekday Toonami before then and a lot of people love it. I like it, but it's not in my top 30 anime. These first couple of episodes are the peak of the series imo.

Also, this is total garbage that an "HD remaster" isn't formatted fullscreen for my HD TV.

You shut your damn mouth.  Every show should be preserved in its original aspect ratio!