UnevenEdge

Tried Japanese on duolingo

1pooh4u

I think my level of Japanese is too high for duolingo to be of any use. Hiragana is one of the three writing systems used in Japanese. Once you master it, you then learn katakana, and then you start learning kanji, which you never stop learning. I know how to read over 1000 kanji, yet I still can't read a newspaper.  :fap:

Ooh I'm doing Portuguese on that

I learned some japanese counting from that chinpoko mon South Park episode  :poop:

ichi, ni, san, shi

I've become 27% fluent in Spanish on that app. I can't speak but I have a decent understanding of what I read.

I gave up on Vietnamese because the woman that does my nails is Vietnamese and she told me that the words were correct but sentence structure was wrong.

I guess they are teaching me to count. Ichi is one but is comprised of two characters "I" and "chi". I'll be on lessons 1 and 2 for a while:D

I think my level of Japanese is too high for duolingo to be of any use. Hiragana is one of the three writing systems used in Japanese. Once you master it, you then learn katakana, and then you start learning kanji, which you never stop learning. I know how to read over 1000 kanji, yet I still can't read a newspaper.  :fap:

Yup they will teach all 3 systems. I probably won't stick with it cuz I want to learn Spanish first and Japanese is completely unknown to me with the exception of like 5 words :D

You can test out and see if you're too advanced they might even have Japanese for Japanese speakers. I'm not surprised you can't read a paper I heard that illiteracy is high in Japan

Yup they will teach all 3 systems. I probably won't stick with it cuz I want to learn Spanish first and Japanese is completely unknown to me with the exception of like 5 words :D

You can test out and see if you're too advanced they might even have Japanese for Japanese speakers. I'm not surprised you can't read a paper I heard that illiteracy is high in Japan

Where did you hear that Japan is high in illiteracy from?

I'm not a native speaker, and I had to learn everything myself. My mother is a native speaker and she can read a newspaper with relative ease. She's not exactly smart either.

I have to wait to use duolingo, since I don't have an iphone. I've been wanting to learn Spanish too. Haven't seriously studied it since high school.

Where did you hear that Japan is high in illiteracy from?

I'm not a native speaker, and I had to learn everything myself. My mother is a native speaker and she can read a newspaper with relative ease. She's not exactly smart either.

I have to wait to use duolingo, since I don't have an iphone. I've been wanting to learn Spanish too. Haven't seriously studied it since high school.

I shoulda clarified partial illiteracy. I don't think it speaks to ones intelligence rather it speaks to the complexity of the language

I read it somewhere on the internet so it can be untrue I just found it plausible because of the Chinese characters in Japanese

I've become 27% fluent in Spanish on that app. I can't speak but I have a decent understanding of what I read.

I gave up on Vietnamese because the woman that does my nails is Vietnamese and she told me that the words were correct but sentence structure was wrong.

I guess they are teaching me to count. Ichi is one but is comprised of two characters "I" and "chi". I'll be on lessons 1 and 2 for a while:D

27% is good. keep it up! I tried Spanish on there too to brush up on mine, even tho its my first language i've forgotten a lot since i don't speak it much. only with my parents and extended family, but i don't see them much. The Spanish on duolingo is Spaniard so it's a little different from what we speak south of the border. Not much, but some words differ.

Also I didn't know that about the Vietnamese part of the app, I hope my Portuguese sentences aren't wonky.

And don't give up, by the end, you'll count like a native Japanese  8)

27% is good. keep it up! I tried Spanish on there too to brush up on mine, even tho its my first language i've forgotten a lot since i don't speak it much. only with my parents and extended family, but i don't see them much. The Spanish on duolingo is Spaniard so it's a little different from what we speak south of the border. Not much, but some words differ.

Also I didn't know that about the Vietnamese part of the app, I hope my Portuguese sentences aren't wonky.

And don't give up, by the end, you'll count like a native Japanese  8)

I think the issue with sentence structure was hopefully just with Vietnamese.  She told me I would be understood but laughed at most likely.  Portuguese isn't structured similar to Spanish?  I figure if Spanish is your first language you might be able to fix the mistakes on your own, if there are any.

I think I learned how to say good morning it sounds like "Ohio".....I'm stuck on basic lessons 1-4 because I can't remember all the character that I'm learning, it's soooo difficult ::]:: >:D :D

I think the issue with sentence structure was hopefully just with Vietnamese.  She told me I would be understood but laughed at most likely.  Portuguese isn't structured similar to Spanish?  I figure if Spanish is your first language you might be able to fix the mistakes on your own, if there are any.

I think I learned how to say good morning it sounds like "Ohio".....I'm stuck on basic lessons 1-4 because I can't remember all the character that I'm learning, it's soooo difficult ::]:: >:D :D

I'd say to keep up with vietnamese anyway, that way you can pick up some words and can know if they ever make fun of you.

From what I've done it seems similar, but still I'm not a native speaker so I'm not 100% sure.  -_'

try writing all the characters a bunch of times so they stick to your memory. couldn't hurt, and maybe it will help

I can count to ten cuz of karate

Spelling not checked may not be accurate

Ichi

Ni

San

Chi

Go

Roku

Sichi

Hachi

Kyu

Jyu

I'm learning numbers and colors. I keep doing the same lessons over and over so I can recognize the characters.

I'm learning Hiragana but I'm guessing I'll be learning numbers in kanji as well.  I need to stop telling myself it's hard cuz I won't learn if I tell myself that I can't

don't give up.

futility is what makes life... life.  :|

I'm not giving up yet but it depends, I really want to learn Spanish, if Japanese gets in the way I might put it down temporarily.

I can read a great deal of Spanish and understand it. I'm just too shy to speak it.

I guess I'm saying all this nonsense to say I want to be more comfortable in the language I'm seriously trying to learn opposed to a language I'm doing for funsies

11 - 19 is really easy.  Just throw Juu in front of the numbers.  Save for 4 and 7 which become yon and nana for whatever reason.  I'm still fuzzy past 19.  So the entirety of my japanese number knowledge can be counted on my fingers and toes with one bonus toe/finger.

Juu ichi

Juu ni

Juu san

Juu yon

Juu go

Juu roku

Juu nana

Juu hachi

Juu kyuu

11 - 19 is really easy.  Just throw Juu in front of the numbers.  Save for 4 and 7 which become yon and nana for whatever reason.  I'm still fuzzy past 19.  So the entirety of my japanese number knowledge can be counted on my fingers and toes with one bonus toe/finger.

Juu ichi

Juu ni

Juu san

Juu yon

Juu go

Juu roku

Juu nana

Juu hachi

Juu kyuu

What's the juu stuff? 

What's the juu stuff?

juu is ten. I know, it sounds like jew.  >:D

Counting beyond 19 is easy. Just add the ones number and then juu. Nijuu is twenty, sanjuu is thirty, yonjuu is forty, etc . . . and then one hundred is hyaku. Counting in Japanese is very easy. It's not like French, which has quatre-vingt-dix for ninety.