UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

To Your Eternity 20

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Episode 6: "Finally, our day has come!"

Spoiler

Somewhat misleading, as that day is still a ways away at the start of the episode. But yes, things are progressing towards the New Generations/Love Laika miniconcert. We get to hear a preview of New Generations' song, "Dekitate Evo! Revo! Generation!", which rolls right into the opening credits. The five girls all spend lots of time practicing. Uzuki in particular has trouble with one part where she spins around. We get to see their outfits: the ones for NG look like M. Bison (our lawyers say "Yes! Yes!"), while LL's represent a cold environment, with floofy scarves, but perversely, they bear some skin near the top. The idols talk to people from the music press, go on a fellow idol's talk show to promote their new records, and everyone seems to be happy about it, though Minami and Anya are quite nervous. Compared to them, Mio is doing fine as the leader of her unit. All the while, 346pro prepares merch for the show, like some CDs (which are accurate to real life), and the other members of Cinderella Project do little except cheer them on. It's a good time, but I wish it was something a little more constructive. At least we get some fun cameos here and there, although I'm not even sure who some of them are.

Eventually, the day of the miniconcert comes at last. At last! It's in a mall, the stage looks like a big castle, and the space behind is quite dark. Everyone's so excited for the concert, especially Mio, who called all her friends and asked them to come early, so they could get good seats. She asks TakeP if this is going to disrupt shopping patterns at the store, which sounds like something a capitalist would say, but I digress. The politics of idols are already in lots of places where the sun don't shine, so I forsake them. Eventually, Love Laika is called on first to sing their debut song "Memories". It sounds like falling meteors (of course) and/or some take-off of Russian pop. Good stuff for people who don't use a torrent tracker. Juxtaposed among this is New Generations coming on and singing their own song, which we already got a preview of. It seems to go well, but as the sequence is ending, Minami and Anya get a nice round of applause, and Uzuki and Rin look pleased too. But Mio... looks dead inside.

Yup, a drama bomb. Here we go.

So even after seeing all her friends with a pretty banner they made, Mio runs backstage, and she's pissed. She was expecting this experience to be more like the last concert she participated in, which was inside a big theater, and was hoping the crowd would be more into it. This despite the fact that a shopping mall is no worse place to do a show than a high school gym, or maybe a pizza parlor. As TakeP tries to reason with her, he admits that this is how it usually is for aspiring idols, which just makes things worse. She runs away and escapes his grasp. Rin is also not happy, giving him a sneer as she walks away. It's painful to watch even without sound And just in case it hasn't occurred to you yet that this show's mood has changed, the ending is a sad piano reprise of the theme song amidst a darkened stage, plus Cinderella's glass slipper at the center (with the heel broken), while the next episode card features stormy skies.

There are people who don't like this episode because the drama with Mio seems forced. Personally, I disagree. The plot at least pasts muster. I don't know if it's actually happened, but I can see someone being disillusioned after going from a big concert to something smaller. Maybe it wouldn't happen on their second show, but at least idols have the excuse of performing two or three times a year, whereas an actual rock band averages probably several dozen. If nothing else, at least this feels less forced than some of the stuff in the 2011 iM@S anime, most infamously Haruka throwing BaneP in a theater pit. And we're only a quarter of the way through the show, so there's plenty of time for Mio to go "junbi OK" and redeem the plot.

Random thoughts:

• Cinderella Girls meme corner: In case you need a breather from all of that (or anything else, really), embedded below is a GIF of Uzuki trying to perfect her spinning. She's doing her best, after all.

uzukispin.gif

• Really low-hanging fruit, but, at least Mio actually got a decent crowd for her live. I can think of school idols who almost had their spirits broken by less.
  • Anzu remains an enigma, possessing hardly any notable characterization other than "work = bad". As Striketober turns to Strikevember, I guess I sympathize with her. But I need to get a job myself.
  • "Aiko Takamori's Flouncy Time"? What a perfectly cromulent name. And she's not even flouncing down there.
  • Of course the three idiots' bedrooms have some color coordination, but Uzuki's pad is lacking pink compared to the others' blue and yellow schemes.
  • Interesting how CR subbed "Tokimeki ESCALATE" back in the third episode, but not either song here. Not going to knock them for that, though. Giving any song in a show subtitles is an "exception rather than the rule" kind of thing.
  • Rated TV-G. Are you surprised?

Idol roundup:

• Aiko: 16, Passion-type. In the same unit as Mio and Akane called Positive Passion. She likes to take pictures of everything, hence the camera that appears in her scenes, and yet she's not the only camera idol in the game. There's another girl who's unvoiced and uses much more expensive cameras than Aiko does. Who knew? CG is funny like that. Also, in some quick foreshadowing, she's one of the flattest girls relative to age in the franchise, barely any better than Chihaya. Make fun of her if you will, but I like a Passion who doesn't wear her gimmick on her sleeve.

Music reviews:

• "Memories": Love Laika's iconic unit song. I enjoy it mostly for the catchy lyrics, mostly the bits with English: "Sayonara da ne" and "HAROO GUBBAI kirei ni kagayaku no".
  • "Dekitate Evo! Revo! Generation!": One of a few songs for New Generation. "Dekitate" means "freshly", which should give you an idea. Nice beat, and that keyboard break in the middle kind of slays, but it sounds a little too purple for me.