UnevenEdge

If it's stupid but it works...

Rogue_Alphonse

Not necessarily. 

Things are stupid for a reason. Typically reasons like neglecting very possible consequences. Occasionally much less valid reasons like being unconventional.

An argument could be made that if something is functioning only because the conditions that bring about previously mentioned consequences simply haven't been realized yet, (i.e. it hasn't really been tested,) that it doesn't actually "work" but it's a difficult evaluation to make, particularly in the meantime... It seems likely you'll end up declaring something to be not stupid right up to the point where it becomes painfully obvious how stupid it in fact is.

Not necessarily. 

Things are stupid for a reason. Typically reasons like neglecting very possible consequences. Occasionally much less valid reasons like being unconventional.

An argument could be made that if something is functioning only because the conditions that bring about previously mentioned consequences simply haven't been realized yet, (i.e. it hasn't really been tested,) that it doesn't actually "work" but it's a difficult evaluation to make, particularly in the meantime... It seems likely you'll end up declaring something to be not stupid right up to the point where it becomes painfully obvious how stupid it in fact is.

Well in my cae it was a comment on a picture of a shovel welded to the crossmembers of a Jeep frame for added protection, and said shovel was pretty beat up like it had been off-road. Stupid, yes because who the fuk would weld a Shovel to a Jeep. But awesome because it worked very well :D

Can't tell you how many times I've had to say that to someone that only operates equipment.

HAHAHA usually this phrase goes well with those who are very mechanically inclined.

Like me using a 600psi rubber hose and hose clamps to repair a broken line on a refrigerator.

Stupid? Yes. But it works and saved me the hassle of brazing in a new line or getting a flare kit and fitting.

I challenge that premise with the following example, a person needs to drive a nail into a piece of wood, they have a hammer, and a flat rock, they decide to use the rock and succeed in driving the nail into the wood.

I would call that extremely stupid, but clearly it worked.

Kind of like how you insist on opening beer with a key loop instead of a bottle opener.

I challenge that premise with the following example, a person needs to drive a nail into a piece of wood, they have a hammer, and a flat rock, they decide to use the rock and succeed in driving the nail into the wood.

I would call that extremely stupid, but clearly it worked.

Kind of like how you insist on opening beer with a key loop instead of a bottle opener.

in your example, the rock is harder to deal with so yes it is stupid.

In my case, my key loop is actually easier and also does not bend the bottle cap, plus it's faster. It may look stupid, but it actually works better therefore rendering the phrase.