UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS!! NINJA KAMUI CONFIRMED TO PREMIERE FEB. 10 AT MIDNIGHT!!!

Demon Slayer apparently to move down to 12:30, leading-in to Lycoris Recoil at 1.

The "freshness" of the schedule then to be:

NINJA KAMUI - 2024

Demon Slayer - 2022

Lycoris Recoil - 2022

One Piece - 2014

Naruto Shippuden - 2016

IGPX - 2006, Remastered 2024

Out: Dr. Stone - 2023

Curiously, the timing of this is such that Demon Slayer's combined season 2 airs episodes from 2021 before Ninja Kamui hits and 2022 afterward.

• Thanks 3

• OwlChemist81 changed the title to BREAKING NEWS!! NINJA KAMUI CONFIRMED TO PREMIERE FEB. 10 AT MIDNIGHT!!!

Well I guess we need a replacement on May 4th then, unless we were to get a marathon of the first 7 episodes on Easter Eve, March 30th.

Not been done before, but I see no reason it can't be done. The 7th episode may not technically be part of Toonami if so, as was the case with the Mugen Train marathon.

But more likely than not, they'll just keep on truckin' with Ninja Kamui at Midnight through April 27th.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well I guess we need a replacement on May 4th then, unless we were to get a marathon of the first 7 episodes on Easter Eve, March 30th.

Not been done before, but I see no reason it can't be done. The 7th episode may not technically be part of Toonami if so, as was the case with the Mugen Train marathon.

But more likely than not, they'll just keep on truckin' with Ninja Kamui at Midnight through April 27th.

Since it’s airing alongside LatAm AS, the Toonami run won’t be able to take any pointless breaks, so we should be marathon free until it ends. 

What I expect them to do is either put the show replacing DS or Lycoris on double duty for a week or two, or sliding the Ninja Kamui marathon to the week after it ends. That may end up being a “pay it forward” type of deal on Memorial Day where we just don’t have one that weekend. Similar to how in 2023 we skipped the thanksgiving marathon due to the 3 weeks off we had in Oct/Nov already. 

Something else to consider is it may end up boiling down to how the show actually does. If it flops, they may not want a repeat of the Fena marathon. 

• Like 1

Whether or not the recap episodes get dubbed and aired on Toonami will decide if MHA can replace Ninja Kamui on May 4th or wait until June. Also if Demon Slayer continues into Swordsmith and Lycoris doesn’t air the week of the Entertainment District Finale nor the Swordsmith premiere (ie it takes two weeks off before resuming) it would end the same week as Ninja Kamui. I could see them do a NK marathon on May 4th to buy a week but it’s probably not necessary. If they don’t preempt it, then IGPX ends the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

Superman might return by May and Scavengers is another option. Of course they’ll have another big hole to fill if Demon Slayer doesn’t continue into Swordsmith in March.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Whether or not the recap episodes get dubbed and aired on Toonami will decide if MHA can replace Ninja Kamui on May 4th or wait until June. Also if Demon Slayer continues into Swordsmith and Lycoris doesn’t air the week of the Entertainment District Finale nor the Swordsmith premiere (ie it takes two weeks off before resuming) it would end the same week as Ninja Kamui. I could see them do a NK marathon on May 4th to buy a week but it’s probably not necessary. If they don’t preempt it, then IGPX ends the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

Superman might return by May and Scavengers is another option. Of course they’ll have another big hole to fill if Demon Slayer doesn’t continue into Swordsmith in March.

On the subject of My Hero, a good chunk of the show was inspired by Star Wars, and the season proper would be a month behind the subbed version if it did come to the US then.

However, if they have to wait a while before getting the Swordsmith Village Arc, I can see Supes on a summer Reign for a full hour. <----Joke

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

I guess that will depend on if the recaps are considered part of the season or not. Where I’m looking, they say S7 starts May 4th with Stars and Stripes. So if that’s the case, we might be in a bit of a pickle if we assume CR wants at least 3 weeks to get moving. 

If MHA is locked in, we might see them do what they did back with S5 where they reran X amount of episodes at the front of the block before S6 could start. If Swordsmith isn’t in the cards for them, that would probably be their cleanest way while also quietly signaling the smart audience members that S7 is en route. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Ummm, wow!!

In my wildest dreams, I never saw THIS coming:

FB_IMG_1705685181689.jpg

But you predicted years ago that Toonami's 2018 April Fools' Day stunt might lead to subbed shows airing at the ass-end of the block. This is some hilarious vindication.

Yeah, this is a blatant space-filler and I guess you could look at it cynically, but I think this is a really cool move. It also gives Rickanime a path to air on the block without the risk of stinking up the joint ratings-wise. I'll probably watch the dub because I'll be able to see it live (at slight detriment to my sleep schedule), but I'll tape the sub and save it for some rainy days. I mean, hopefully the show is good enough to be worth a rewatch...

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Ummm, wow!!

In my wildest dreams, I never saw THIS coming:

Wonder if it really WILL be on Toonami? If so, I hope they re-hire the Japanese TOM and SARA from April Fools 2018 for sound bites!

FB_IMG_1705685181689.jpg

That’s a new one.  Are they that confident the subs will do well or is this a patch in a lean schedule?

• Like 1

Huh, well that’s an unexpected development. Between the nature of being subbed and being a rerun from a few hours ago, I have my doubts it will do well,  but it’s an interesting experiment. I wonder if it will actually be ON Toonami, or if this is another stunt where they say it is, but don’t actually adjust the bumpers accordingly. 

I wonder if the subbed run will count as a “new” show in regards to the ratings, cause I’m sure we are all curious how this does. Let’s hope for its sake, the show is actually good. Imagine if they tried this with Fena or Black Lotus snoozefests. 

• Like 1

I do hope that’s counted as a new broadcast by technicality so we can see how it does.

This sort of experiment with their original anime is long overdue. While it makes no sense to license a subbed anime with their meager budget it’s just wasting money to have access to a subbed version and not at least try airing it. People are at least a lot more willing to watch subs via streaming than they were a decade ago. Linear TV isn’t the same but it’s worth a shot.

That said, a 3am broadcast is practically worthless as a data point. We’ll never know how well a sub of an anime could do at midnight based on a pseudo encore at 3am. But I can’t blame them for not airing the sub pseudo encore any earlier in the block. They know that wouldn’t go over well even if it might produce more useful data. Obviously they expect the Toonami audience to be the only part of their viewership that would check out subbed Ninja Kamui but imagine if they ran the sub at 1am or even midnight on another night? Maybe pair it with the premiere of RickAnime on Thursday or Friday?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sketch said:

That said, a 3am broadcast is practically worthless as a data point. We’ll never know how well a sub of an anime could do at midnight based on a pseudo encore at 3am. But I can’t blame them for not airing the sub pseudo encore any earlier in the block. They know that wouldn’t go over well even if it might produce more useful data. Obviously they expect the Toonami audience to be the only part of their viewership that would check out subbed Ninja Kamui but imagine if they ran the sub at 1am or even midnight on another night? Maybe pair it with the premiere of RickAnime on Thursday or Friday?

They seem pretty set in their opinion that subs tank viewership. Demarco’s plan to premier Uzumaki subbed in 2023 seemed to get vetoed pretty fast. Honestly I’m surprised they are even giving it a try. Rick and Morty anime will likely premier in a fairly decent timeslot, so we will get some kind of measure how subbed content does at a better time. 

This gives me hope that if we do get stuck with Rick and Morty anime reruns, they are gonna get parked at 3am. Whether 3am is properly Toonami now, or they just advertise it with the block because no one but Toonami fans would care about a subbed run remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Trailer is up

Sounds like a Sentai Studios dub, that’s definitely Luci Christian as the female investigator and a few other voices sounds familiar but none I can pin down.

They changed the MCs design and got rid of the blonde hair and beard.

Action choreography looks great and it’s 2D animation.

The story is generic but hopefully it’s not bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1