UnevenEdge

Netflix to simulcast One Piece Egghead arc

If they’re showing it on a week delay they’re probably not gonna get many simulcast watchers to switch. Meanwhile Netflix only viewers won’t have a clue what’s going on if they only just finished Marineford.

That said, it’s just nice to see another weekly simulcast on Netflix even if it’s a week behind.

But if this is actually same day as Japan and they just aren’t starting that till next week then they might be able to draw simulcast viewers away from other platforms.

I mean, Netflix does have the One Piece live-action remake and a reboot of the anime in the works. I guess they might as well go for the hat trick on the Straw Hats.

But from a Toonami-only perspective, I have two hypotheses on what this means:

1. The Wano arc would be the final arc to air on linear television.
  2. By the time the English dub gets to the Egghead arc, Netflix jail would finally let it air elsewhere.

Granted, we won't know about that until 2033, but still.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

I mean, Netflix does have the One Piece live-action remake and a reboot of the anime in the works. I guess they might as well go for the hat trick on the Straw Hats.

2. By the time the English dub gets to the Egghead arc, Netflix jail would finally let it air elsewhere.

Netflix isn't the exclusive streamer for the new episodes or anything. They're streaming on Crunchyroll as they always have, so Netflix presumably wouldn't have any say over whether Toei chooses to sell them elsewhere too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Even the most optimistic fans don’t think Toonami is ever going to reach Wano in the first place. 

For the foreseeable future this shouldn’t be much of a concern, but it does look like Toei is getting out of the stone age in regards to media distribution, if the live action keeps doing numbers, I could see Netflix making a play for a tighter window of exclusivity and Toei actually going for it. But again, probably not a concern for at least a couple years, the block will have plenty of other problems to address long before that’s an issue. 

• Like 1