UnevenEdge

Predict Toonami in 2024

Mr. Idea Box

27 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

There are plenty of other people with my same mindset who have zero investment in One Piece on Toonami and only sat through it to get to Naruto. 

Maybe, but you must be in the minority since it occasionally outpaces Demon Slayer in the ratings!

So I'm just gonna throw it out there that there's rumors that Dragon Ball Daima will be simuldubbed and casting is already underway with new actors filling the roles of the younger versions of established characters. I think there's a handful of reasonably likely scenarios that could play out depending on what Toei wants to do.

A) Disney throws money at Toei to get it first on Hulu, maybe a same day dub or 2+ weeks behind the Japanese simulcast, CR at least gets to stream the Japanese simulcast

B) Toei sticks with Toonami since they still value television and the dub premieres on Toonami  2-4 weeks after the simulcast, Japanese simulcast is on CR and/or Hulu, one or both get to stream the dub eventually

C) CR gets the premiere with a simuldub either same day or 2+ weeks behind the Japanese simulcast but it also airs on Toonami within 1-3 months, Hulu probably gets it later

D) CR and Hulu get same day Japanese simulcast and a simuldub 2+ weeks after, Toonami airs it within 1-3 months

The most unlikely thing would be for any of them to get it completely exclusively but I suppose that could happen for at least a window of time.

All of that said, if those rumors hold merit then whether Toonami gets the dub premiere or not we could still see it on the block as early as November.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So I'm just gonna throw it out there that there's rumors that Dragon Ball Daima will be simuldubbed and casting is already underway with new actors filling the roles of the younger versions of established characters. I think there's a handful of reasonably likely scenarios that could play out depending on what Toei wants to do.

A) Disney throws money at Toei to get it first on Hulu, maybe a same day dub or 2+ weeks behind the Japanese simulcast, CR at least gets to stream the Japanese simulcast

B) Toei sticks with Toonami since they still value television and the dub premieres on Toonami  2-4 weeks after the simulcast, Japanese simulcast is on CR and/or Hulu, one or both get to stream the dub eventually

C) CR gets the premiere with a simuldub either same day or 2+ weeks behind the Japanese simulcast but it also airs on Toonami within 1-3 months, Hulu probably gets it later

D) CR and Hulu get same day Japanese simulcast and a simuldub 2+ weeks after, Toonami airs it within 1-3 months

The most unlikely thing would be for any of them to get it completely exclusively but I suppose that could happen for at least a window of time.

All of that said, if those rumors hold merit then whether Toonami gets the dub premiere or not we could still see it on the block as early as November.

The Hulu wild card concerns me because it seems TOEI is coming around to that being equivalent or even better than a television airing 

I don’t see why it can’t be on all 3 to get the widest reach 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

Toei most likely will spread it around unless Disney comes along with F YOU money demanding an exclusive.

They haven't actually done that with a Toei show yet to my knowledge but they got Sand Land and seem very pleased to have DBZ Kai (which Crunchyroll does not) and Disney can see the international value of having Dragon Ball Daima which gives them all the more reason to not let Crunchyroll or someone else have it in Latin America and other parts of the world.

I suppose I shouldn't entirely rule out Netflix  given they got WIT Piece from Toei but if they had Daima then we'd probably know that by now.

• Like 1

The one show that would be deemed perfect for Toonami otherwise, and I forgot it in my predictions. Goes to show how sparse information was before now.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Option B would be the best outcome for Toonami, while the worst would be Option A. Do you want the Undead Unluck fate thrust upon Goku and Vegeta?

As for what I want out of these rumors, it's probably Option C or D, as I'm split down the middle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe, but you must be in the minority since it occasionally outpaces Demon Slayer in the ratings!

Demon Slayer is still suffering from Demarco poisoning the well and tell everyone it would never air. That won’t clear up till the next arc, which came after we got Mugen Train. 

We have also yet to see how a Toonami without Naruto bait at the end does. 

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

In a bit of strange synergy, Daima starts the 11th. Toonami has R&M, DS and Uzumaki all end simultaneously on the 19th. Theoretically, Daima could start right on the 26th if they are serious about a simuldub but are also giving themselves a bit of holiday buffer time. Of course, that means skipping a Rick marathon, skipping an Uzumaki marathon, as well as semi locking themselves out of marathons (except Christmas and New Years) until Daima finishes its run. Is fresh Dragonball enough to make them make those sacrifices? Maybe. If Toonami is getting some kind of early deal, I’d wager we learn about it soon, that’s not news you sit on. 

IF they land it, I could see this being the post DST schedule.

12 - Daima

12:30 - Invincible Fight Girl

1 - One Piece

1:30 - One Piece

2 - MHA

2:30 - MHA

As I have suggested before, DST as well as a DB pickup, would be the justification for cutting a rerun slot off the block. Not one person would question it or complain. Kai would be the cut show since it would be redundant, don’t want a Shippuden/Boruto repeat, and i assume they want to keep MHA moving. 

But of course, those are all big if scenarios. As you said, all big money players in the market are motivated to add this show to their catalogs, preferably with an exclusive deal. If the only deciding factor here was money, Toonami would already be out. If Toei is willing to influence the deal, that’s the only way Toonami can get a foot in. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Option B would be the best outcome for Toonami, while the worst would be Option A. Do you want the Undead Unluck fate thrust upon Goku and Vegeta?

Option A (or any similar big money player like Netflix) landing the show and clearly blocking its shot at running on Toonami would be the best outcome. IF we get Daima, the block is going to suffer for months because they will likely shoot 4-6 months worth of budget directly into Daima. And they will just try to coast on it because it’s the new DB so why do they need anything else? 

It just going elsewhere isn’t enough. It needs to be like Jojo where there is a 0% chance of Toonami getting it so Demarco doesn’t spend years trying to make a deal for it like he did with Demon Slayer. 

Double MHA won't last past November unless they're trying to start season 7 in December. It will dial back to 1 episode to drag things to January.

The obvious choice to fill the rerun slot MHA will open up is Demon Slayer. That is of course unless Aniplex actually let Toonami have the Hashira Training arc already. I completely dismissed that as plausible before but we have no idea how good this relationship with Aniplex actually is so it's worth considering.

So let's say Toonami actually does managed to get first dibs on the dub of Daima and it's only two or three weeks behind Japan. Here's some potential schedules. In all of these scenarios I expect Invincible Fight Girl to join the block the week after Daima has it's long episode premiere.

November 2nd Daima Premiere (also works for October 26th if they choose not to do an Uzumaki marathon because of Daima)

12:00 AM - Dragon Ball Daima
01:00 AM - Mashle / One Piece / Demon Slayer Hashira Training Arc (also a long episode so no 1:30 show if so)
01:30 AM - One Piece
02:00 AM - MHA (shifted up in anticipation of S7 in January)
02:30 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
03:00 AM - Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village Arc

October 26th Daima Premiere followed by Uzumaki marathon because they can't help themselves

01:00 AM - Uzumaki Dub Marathon
03:00 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai (to keep pace with Rewind)

And if Daima needs 3-4 weeks AND MHA has been secured then we could see this on November 2nd or 9th following an MHA marathon the week prior

12:00 AM - Dragon Ball Daima (IFG starts the next Saturday at 12:30 between DBD and MHA)
01:00 AM - MHA Season 7
02:00 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
02:30 AM - Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village Arc

A much better scenario would be if Toonami got 11:30 back with Daima but given they don't even have a premiere for 2am there's no sense in expanding unless Toei demands the slightly earlier time slot. Hey if they'll throw in some extra One Piece for the trouble then Toonami wouldn't struggle to fill another premiere slot.

What I'd most like to see in the scenario Toonami got the Daima dub premiere?

11:30 PM - Dragon Ball Daima
12:00 AM - Invincible Fight Girl
12:30 AM - My Hero Academia Season 7 / Demon Slayer Hashira
1:00 AM - Something from Sentai / Mashle
1:30 AM - One Piece
2:00 AM - One Piece
2:30 AM - IGPX Season 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Swap IFG and Daima, and this would be my dream November Toonami lineup.

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

Double MHA won't last past November unless they're trying to start season 7 in December. It will dial back to 1 episode to drag things to January.

The obvious choice to fill the rerun slot MHA will open up is Demon Slayer. That is of course unless Aniplex actually let Toonami have the Hashira Training arc already. I completely dismissed that as plausible before but we have no idea how good this relationship with Aniplex actually is so it's worth considering.

So let's say Toonami actually does managed to get first dibs on the dub of Daima and it's only two or three weeks behind Japan. Here's some potential schedules. In all of these scenarios I expect Invincible Fight Girl to join the block the week after Daima has it's long episode premiere.

November 2nd Daima Premiere (also works for October 26th if they choose not to do an Uzumaki marathon because of Daima)

01:00 AM - Mashle / One Piece / Demon Slayer Hashira Training Arc (also a long episode so no 1:30 show if so)
02:00 AM - MHA (shifted up in anticipation of S7 in January)
02:30 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
03:00 AM - Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village Arc

October 26th Daima Premiere followed by Uzumaki marathon because they can't help themselves

01:00 AM - Uzumaki Dub Marathon
03:00 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai (to keep pace with Rewind)

And if Daima needs 3-4 weeks AND MHA has been secured then we could see this on November 2nd or 9th following an MHA marathon the week prior

12:00 AM - Dragon Ball Daima (IFG starts the next Saturday at 12:30 between DBD and MHA)
01:00 AM - MHA Season 7
02:00 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
02:30 AM - Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village Arc

A much better scenario would be if Toonami got 11:30 back with Daima but given they don't even have a premiere for 2am there's no sense in expanding unless Toei demands the slightly earlier time slot. Hey if they'll throw in some extra One Piece for the trouble then Toonami wouldn't struggle to fill another premiere slot.

Option 1 won’t happen. If we get Daima, we aren’t getting anything else because it will destroy the budget. We probably won’t see anything till spring at the earliest. 

Option 2 I could see just because they love to have their cake and eat it too so a Daima premier followed by rerun marathon fits. But, with the only other premier being One Piece, that’s not really even a loss anyway. 

Option 3 id give slim odds. They may or may not already have MHA secure somehow. If they don’t, see option 1. 

Option 4 id also rank at zero chance. As I said at announcement, if Rick and Morty can’t bump this block to 11:30, nothing ever will. That includes new DB. And again, there will be no further pickups if the block gets Daima. 

IMO every potential block should have IFG slotted on it until we see AS make a commitment to air it elsewhere. It absolutely does not belong on Toonami under any circumstances but it wouldn’t be the first time a vastly inappropriate for Toonami show has been forced onto it. 

Here’s a hypothetical to consider following up on your theory about Toei and timeslots. What if, purely to appease Toei, Daima premiers on Rewind and then has a Saturday encore? I know what you are thinking “that’s stupid!” “That’s not Rewind if it’s a premier!” AS does not give one single shit if it means they get the Daima deal. If you recall, a chunk of Super premiered at 8pm on Saturdays and then reran a few hours later on Toonami proper. AS is not opposed to doing something obtuse if it makes Toei happy to sign a deal. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Here’s a hypothetical to consider following up on your theory about Toei and timeslots. What if, purely to appease Toei, Daima premiers on Rewind and then has a Saturday encore? I know what you are thinking “that’s stupid!” “That’s not Rewind if it’s a premier!” AS does not give one single shit if it means they get the Daima deal. If you recall, a chunk of Super premiered at 8pm on Saturdays and then reran a few hours later on Toonami proper. AS is not opposed to doing something obtuse if it makes Toei happy to sign a deal. 

What’s interesting about Daima is that it’s airing at 11:30 PM Friday nights and is NOT being given a child friendly time slot. Rumor is that this show has MORE violence and blood than Super. Ironic considering the aesthetics of the show 

So TOEI should be just fine with a midnight premiere slot. However, because it doesn’t seem to be geared for child consumption, there’s a better chance that they may not care as much about a TV airing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Option 1 won’t happen. If we get Daima, we aren’t getting anything else because it will destroy the budget. We probably won’t see anything till spring at the earliest. 

Option 2 I could see just because they love to have their cake and eat it too so a Daima premier followed by rerun marathon fits. But, with the only other premier being One Piece, that’s not really even a loss anyway. 

Option 3 id give slim odds. They may or may not already have MHA secure somehow. If they don’t, see option 1. 

Option 4 id also rank at zero chance. As I said at announcement, if Rick and Morty can’t bump this block to 11:30, nothing ever will. That includes new DB. And again, there will be no further pickups if the block gets Daima. 

IMO every potential block should have IFG slotted on it until we see AS make a commitment to air it elsewhere. It absolutely does not belong on Toonami under any circumstances but it wouldn’t be the first time a vastly inappropriate for Toonami show has been forced onto it. 

What they should do is have Daima and IFG in the 7pm hour after Rewind, directly after Kai. That would mean Toonami is lead off by two encores though which could leave only One Piece for a premiere… yikes.

I don’t think getting Daima completely eliminates the possibility of another acquisition before next year but if Daima doesn’t even premiere on Saturday Toonami then it would screw over anything other than an already established show like MHA or Demon Slayer. I would not want them to do that to a franchise that is new to the block. Having it stuck behind potentially two reruns reeks. At least wait till IFG is over early next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is Daima going to have a 1-Hour premiere? Daima and Hashira both starting on 11/2 makes sense because due to DST ending, Toonami has an extra hour to play with. That means we could see this:

12 AM Dragon Ball Daima

1 AM Demon Slayer Hashira Training

1st 2 AM One Piece

1st 2:30 DBZ Kai or OP#2

2nd 2 AM MHA S6 Finish, commercial-free airing of S6E22-S6E25 (They did this last year with IGPX REMASTERED/R&M Shorts, though that was not part of Toonami.) This also assumes a marathon of S6E18-S6E21 the previous week, and alternatively as opposed to the commercial-free airing, Toonami could simply expand to 4 AM.

Then on 11/9, IFG and MHA S7 premiere. Also, as Hashira has 8 episodes, so running it from 11/2 to 12/21 does kinda make sense. That last night it would be more like a movie, probably airing from 12:30-2 AM. If IFG has 10 episodes, perhaps what they do is split the season, airing 5 episodes from 11/9 to 12/7, and the other 5 in early 2025, since DS Hashira needs the extra slot 12/14 as well.

Another wildcard is IGPX Season 2, which might also begin 11/9.

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Is Daima going to have a 1-Hour premiere? Daima and Hashira both starting on 11/2 makes sense because due to DST ending, Toonami has an extra hour to play with. That means we could see this:

12 AM Dragon Ball Daima

1 AM Demon Slayer Hashira Training

1st 2 AM One Piece

1st 2:30 DBZ Kai or OP#2

2nd 2 AM MHA S6 Finish, commercial-free airing of S6E22-S6E25 (They did this last year with IGPX REMASTERED/R&M Shorts, though that was not part of Toonami.) This also assumes a marathon of S6E18-S6E21 the previous week, and alternatively as opposed to the commercial-free airing, Toonami could simply expand to 4 AM.

Then on 11/9, IFG and MHA S7 premiere. Also, as Hashira has 8 episodes, so running it from 11/2 to 12/21 does kinda make sense. That last night it would be more like a movie, probably airing from 12:30-2 AM. If IFG has 10 episodes, perhaps what they do is split the season, airing 5 episodes from 11/9 to 12/7, and the other 5 in early 2025, since DS Hashira needs the extra slot 12/14 as well.

Another wildcard is IGPX Season 2, which might also begin 11/9.

Daima has a 40 something minute 1st episode 

Interesting that they never dropped a 9/28 schedule. Is that episode 45 minutes or nah? Seems like if any would be, it would be the first one. I have slightly higher hope that Uzumaki won’t suck with these extended episodes. 

Anyway, this is about what we expected to see. One Piece pays off 1 of its 3 episodes of debt, and will most likely cover number 2 on 10/26. I wish more people noticed this and would stop cheering for double One Piece. 

11/2 is when they are gonna have to pull some kind of magic out of their hats.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Interesting that they never dropped a 9/28 schedule. Is that episode 45 minutes or nah? Seems like if any would be, it would be the first one. I have slightly higher hope that Uzumaki won’t suck with these extended episodes. 

Anyway, this is about what we expected to see. One Piece pays off 1 of its 3 episodes of debt, and will most likely cover number 2 on 10/26. I wish more people noticed this and would stop cheering for double One Piece. 

What do you want to bet they’ll stretch out things further with more marathons 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You got 3 weeks, would you rather have double One Piece or a rerun of FLCL Grunge? 🤣

For a moment there I was hopeful double One Piece would shift to 1:30-2:30 when Uzumaki came in but of course not. We can’t have 5 premieres even for 4 weeks. 🤨

Strange that they didn’t bother with a 09/28 schedule post but I can confirm the screener of Uzumaki ep 1 is 24~ mins. The question is if ep 3 is also 30+ mins or if oddly only eps 2 and 4 are longer than standard. It’s good at least two episodes are longer and won’t be crunched for time but for consistency sake I wish they were all 30+ mins.

Now they need 2.5+ hours for the marathon.

Unless Daima is coming on 11/02 I’m leaning toward a marathon that night. Either a needless RATAM marathon or an MHA catch-up if they’re ready to start season 7 in November.

They have the free space of IFG to use whenever but I remain hopeful that there will be two other block premieres in November besides IFG.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't expect two extended Uzumaki episodes, nor did I expect them to reveal the even-numbered episodes only. On the one hand, I'm glad they're not condensing the show into two hours. On the other hand, the Halloween marathon should be the dubbed version for their sake.

As for what this means for the future, I have mixed opinions on this. To make a long, almost rant-like story short, I'm beginning to consider skipping most of the 2024 holiday season as far as Toonami's concerned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

You got 3 weeks, would you rather have double One Piece or a rerun of FLCL Grunge? 🤣

At the very least, that would lead the room temp IQ fanbase to the correct conclusion, that we actually got nothing. 

”Oh kick-ass double One Piece is back!” <- Moron after moron who is completely blind to One Piece completely leaving the schedule for X amount of weeks that it was doubled up. 

“What the hell FLCL Grunge again? What is this shit! Where are the new shows!” <- Same moron who has been lead to having the correct reaction to the current state of the schedule. 

They are very clearly capped on yearly episodes, so I don’t know why anyone would think this would have stuck around. 

11 hours ago, brianycpht said:

What do you want to bet they’ll stretch out things further with more marathons 

Really it’s all gonna hinge on Daima. Did they get it? They will cobble a schedule together for 11/2 even if Daima is the only new show. Did they not get it? They could easily stall till next year. There is no real rush for them to start MHA since they are already a full season behind it now. 

I don’t know how much they actually care about IFG. If that’s just a turd they need to get flushed, it could double up as the lead show for 5 weeks and solve most of their schedule concerns for the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Really it’s all gonna hinge on Daima. Did they get it? They will cobble a schedule together for 11/2 even if Daima is the only new show. Did they not get it? They could easily stall till next year. There is no real rush for them to start MHA since they are already a full season behind it now. 

I don’t know how much they actually care about IFG. If that’s just a turd they need to get flushed, it could double up as the lead show for 5 weeks and solve most of their schedule concerns for the rest of the year. 

Typical TOEI tactics will mean that they won’t even be able to acknowledge a dub exists until at least the Japanese premiere.  

I’m guessing by the time it does premiere, they’ll finally get rid of Kai and leave it on rewind only. Please for the love of Kami don’t move Kai up to 12:30 to make a DB power hour. 

MHA is now in the same boat as Demon Slayer. No need a little rush it to air now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Typical TOEI tactics will mean that they won’t even be able to acknowledge a dub exists until at least the Japanese premiere.  

I’m guessing by the time it does premiere, they’ll finally get rid of Kai and leave it on rewind only. Please for the love of Kami don’t move Kai up to 12:30 to make a DB power hour. 

MHA is now in the same boat as Demon Slayer. No need a little rush it to air now.

I didn’t even consider the possibility of them moving Kai ahead of One Piece but if they have nothing else then I wouldn’t put it past them. 🤢

Guy, with regard to One Piece doubling up usually leading to weeks off the schedule. Even if it takes as long as once a week uninterrupted, double stripping One Piece and taking off a few weeks still does wonders for the sense of pacing. The same way most people prefer to watch a few episodes of One Piece in a marathon once a week rather than one daily. But ultimately I understand you want people to escape the Genjutsu and realize Toonami is doing nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Guy, with regard to One Piece doubling up usually leading to weeks off the schedule. Even if it takes as long as once a week uninterrupted, double stripping One Piece and taking off a few weeks still does wonders for the sense of pacing. The same way most people prefer to watch a few episodes of One Piece in a marathon once a week rather than one daily. But ultimately I understand you want people to escape the Genjutsu and realize Toonami is doing nothing.

I agree that double episodes make the show a lot more tolerable. It feels like we kinda take a step forward. One step, but that’s better than some weeks where it feels like nothing at all happens. I just wish people would notice we aren’t actually moving through it any faster and getting it doubled up is the equivalent of getting nothing. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Invincible Fight Girl (AKA Invisible Ratings Girl) will be leading the block off in November, where it will likely proceed to tank, mostly because I don't think that Daima will be ready by then.  

Daima's performance will be make-or-break, especially considering it seems to be relying more on original DB style comedy (where Toriyama always felt more comfortable anyway).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I agree that double episodes make the show a lot more tolerable. It feels like we kinda take a step forward. One step, but that’s better than some weeks where it feels like nothing at all happens. I just wish people would notice we aren’t actually moving through it any faster and getting it doubled up is the equivalent of getting nothing. 

In my binge watching of the show- I have to say watch at 1.5 speed in order to tolerate the slow pacing. It gets that bad