UnevenEdge

Predict Toonami in 2024

Mr. Idea Box

So, with the recent news on January 6th, I've cracked the code for the next year.

January 2024: Attack on Titan finally ends, Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc and Lycoris Recoil premiere.

March/April 2024: Scavengers Reign makes its Toonami debut.

May 2024: IGPX ends its remastered run.

June 2024: My Adventures with Superman airs its second season.

July/August 2024: Naruto Shippuden finally ends.

October 2024: Uzumaki finally premieres.

Fall 2024: One Piece becomes the new show to close the night off.

2025: Who knows?

I also think Ninja Kamui, Rick and Morty: The Anime, Lupin Zero, and the Urusei Yatsura reboot could make it on the block next year.

Clearly a mixed bag around here, but that's subject to change. Any thoughts on this matter?

• Like 1

Lycoris Recoil was not something I ever considered them picking up, so if we see the best case scenario where Demarco roots around the Aniplex catalog, there are a lot of crazy directions we could see them go for replacements next year. 

Originals, I have my doubts Lazarus will be a 2024 show. Watanabe seemed to want it to be, but did not seem confident it would be. I don’t think they will hesitate to give that more time in the oven. 

Sequels, at least at the moment, I don’t think any are on deck. MHA has been consistent yearly, but it’s also starting to get close to the manga so they might pump the brakes on it for a bit. 

Special event wise, I do expect them to put together a little send off for Naruto. Airing 500 episodes of anything deserves a celebration. 

2024 has the potential to be a major Toonami redemption arc since we are hitting the ground running the very first week of the year. Time will tell if they can actually deliver beyond the first 3-4 months of the year. 

• Like 1

I had heard something about Season 7 of MHA coming in April, which would kinda make sense. It would probably make it to Toonami after Demon Slayer's Swordsmith Arc, so that seems it would work out nicely if it takes the lead acquisition torch by then.

The originals are of course, the big X-Factors, but I don't see them completely taking over the block other than One Piece and Shippuden like what happened in September. Hopefully the Aniplex library is open from here on out.

Either way, looking forward to January kicking things off RIGHT In 2024, especially when it has faltered in recent years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

So, after all the news that's happened this month, primarily the new seasons for MHA, Dr. Stone, and Demon Slayer, what do you guys think the plan is for next year?

Besides “Pray Zaslav doesn’t burn the company down?”

The big tests for the block will be those originals, and if they can actually make them work.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

So, after all the news that's happened this month, primarily the new seasons for MHA, Dr. Stone, and Demon Slayer, what do you guys think the plan is for next year?

MHA and Dr Stone have been consistent returners for the block, so no doubt on us getting those. MHA will probably come around May, and I’d say November for Dr Stone. Still don’t know on Demon Slayer until we see what happens after Entertainment ends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Oh, now that's just pathetic to see.

But now I'm curious. What if the WB-Universal merger is a thing?  Does Toonami have a chance?

It’s not even a doomer thing to say, if the merger goes through (I doubt it will personally), then Toonami is coming to an abrupt end. We would probably be lucky to even get a sign off from TOM. 

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

You say that like you know it's gonna happen, 100%. Objectivism of that brand really helps no one but the pessimists in the room.

I literally said I don’t think the merger will happen. No merger, no worries. I’m not stressed about the prospect in the slightest because I don’t believe for a second that it’s ever going to advance beyond the talks stage. 

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one hoping for a Naruto Shippuden farewell marathon next year? Because I would think it deserves the Futurama treatment by now.

And if it helps, it would mean a week without a One Piece premiere, unless they make a new deal in advance. Which I'm not expecting either, but I'm already on copium when thinking of Toonami's future.

3 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Am I the only one hoping for a Naruto Shippuden farewell marathon next year? Because I would think it deserves the Futurama treatment by now.

And if it helps, it would mean a week without a One Piece premiere, unless they make a new deal in advance. Which I'm not expecting either, but I'm already on copium when thinking of Toonami's future.

All marathons do is sour peoples mood on stuff. Have a custom intro on its finale night where TOM and Sara say nice things about it and let it go. It will have been on for 10.5 years at that point, we don’t need to extend its stay. 

I don’t remember the exact episode breakdown, but it would be nice if the last 2-3 episodes aired on the same night. Yea, they lose a few weeks of content doing that, but it would be a nice send off and make the finale a bit more memorable if the meat of it is all in one night. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

All marathons do is sour peoples mood on stuff. Have a custom intro on its finale night where TOM and Sara say nice things about it and let it go. It will have been on for 10.5 years at that point, we don’t need to extend its stay. 

I don’t remember the exact episode breakdown, but it would be nice if the last 2-3 episodes aired on the same night. Yea, they lose a few weeks of content doing that, but it would be a nice send off and make the finale a bit more memorable if the meat of it is all in one night. 

Hey, I'll take any notice from Toonami itself on the finale. Doesn't have to be a complete marathon to do so, to be honest.

7 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

That WOULD be interesting.

We have 30 episodes left, and though Toonami has never replayed an episode outside of the April Fool's Day 2018 stunt, Adult Swim DID replay Seasons 13-15 at 5 AM on weekdays in 2021.

Maybe July 6th would be fertile ground for such a "sendoff" marathon? We'd have to double-up some episodes to reach 29 by then, but I could see it happening.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Jman said:

I realize everyone forgot about it, but expect Get Jiro! to come out in the second half of the year.

Yeah I did totally forget about Get Jiro. There’s no guarantee it will come out in 2024 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

So here’s my latest schedule forecasts for 2024. In this build Get Jiro airs but Primal season 3 and Lazarus aren’t ready till 2025.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18kiZEHRjCW0yVkdMRQT1ypPkHkTUJQHKEPMuKl5DmCg/edit

The first half sounds plausible to me, but giving them 3 AM back, not to mention airing Jujitsu Kaisen, Eizouken, Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, and Spy X Family?

If your forecast happens to be an accurate prediction of the coming year, check me into the asylum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

So here’s my latest schedule forecasts for 2024. In this build Get Jiro airs but Primal season 3 and Lazarus aren’t ready till 2025.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18kiZEHRjCW0yVkdMRQT1ypPkHkTUJQHKEPMuKl5DmCg/edit

That seems awfully optimistic. Lot of Crunchyroll controlled things in there too, so far we haven’t seen any non sequel without Aniplex make the cut, so things like JJK and Spy X Family don’t feel possible. Even if they did, I feel like they wouldn’t be able to afford that many high dollar pickups in a single year. You also forgot the already confirmed for 2024 Rick and Morty anime. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

That seems awfully optimistic. Lot of Crunchyroll controlled things in there too, so far we haven’t seen any non sequel without Aniplex make the cut, so things like JJK and Spy X Family don’t feel possible. Even if they did, I feel like they wouldn’t be able to afford that many high dollar pickups in a single year. You also forgot the already confirmed for 2024 Rick and Morty anime. 

I still say they don’t air RickAnime on Toonami baring an expansion. It’s probably airing early in the year and Toonami is pretty stacked till Spring. It can and probably will air directly before and eventually after Toonami.

JJK and Spy x Family are certainly optimistic even though both are years late but I think they’re plausible enough because they’re years late.

But okay I made 2 more revisions that are considerably more realistic and Version R includes RickAnime replacing Ninja Kamui in May. I suppose it could replace Demon Slayer after the Entertainment District arc finishes but IMO DeMarco would rather have Scavengers on Toonami than RickAnime if it comes down to it.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

I still say they don’t air RickAnime on Toonami baring an expansion. It’s probably airing early in the year and Toonami is pretty stacked till Spring. It can and probably will air directly before and eventually after Toonami.

JJK and Spy x Family are certainly optimistic even though both are years late but I think they’re plausible enough because they’re years late.

But okay I made 2 more revisions that are considerably more realistic and Version R includes RickAnime replacing Ninja Kamui in May. I suppose it could replace Demon Slayer after the Entertainment District arc finishes but IMO DeMarco would rather have Scavengers on Toonami than RickAnime if it comes down to it.

The way it looks to me is that Aniplex remembered they can make their own choices and decided to be cool with Toonami again. They didn’t just give us shows, they are actively promoting that Toonami is airing their stuff. I don’t think it’s just age that made Demon Slayer possible. 

Anyway, maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I could have sworn Demarco recently stated that R&M was getting a Toonami run, after a year or so of saying it was an AS only thing. I’d love to be wrong on that because I have zero interest in it and would rather avoid it wasting a timeslot for however many weeks, but I doubt we will be so lucky. If it absolutely must run on the block, I’d rather see it in the rerun slot rather than the lead, or even before the block starts, because let’s be real, Demarco’s decade long point about subs killing ratings will still hold true, and viewership would be in the can during its whole run if it’s at 11:30 or 12:00. 

Scavengers I think will be one of those things that is unpredictable and out of their hands. Max will decide when they are open to it getting a cable run, and it won’t take into consideration anything else. Meaning Toonami will either have to make a hasty change to fit it in, or it will get a standard AS run first, and have its Toonami run later on when there is room. 

One more thing I noticed in your schedule, depending on how literally you want to take TOMs words, he said this would be the last run of Mugen Train. The Facebook post also phrased it in a way implying it’s not going to be on cable again. Of course, that could just be marketing, but I could also see them only being able to afford a limited run deal over their typical year long contract for it. With that in mind, I don’t believe the rerun portion of the block will necessitate an expansion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fair enough, they might not be able to rerun Mugen Train once a week because they spent it's 2nd run on a marathon but if they are even allowed to rerun Entertainment District one time they'll probably do that much. Giving Dr. Stone season 3 a full 2nd run is the primary reason I was considering expansion to the rerun portion while IGPX is still airing. I just didn't have that one some versions of the schedule. So I will remove the additional run of the Mugen Train arc on most versions.

I don't recall DeMarco ever saying RickAnime will definitely air on Toonami, that was always a maybe and might be largely out of his control if the network puts the encores on Toonami. You might be mixing it up with Scavengers because he has said "if Scavengers airs on Adult Swim it will be on Toonami"

EDIT: I decided to add Version L (L for taking the L) in which there is only 1 new acquisition besides Lycoris and the others are continuations. Demon Slayer breaks after Entertainment District which opens up the top slot for RickAnime which would bump Ninja Kamui to 12:30 for the remainder of it's run. And rather than rely on double One Piece for multiple weeks in a row I filled a 6 week slot  mid-Summer with (you guessed it) FLCL. Which one? Could be any of the first 3 seasons or a combination of Grunge and Shoegaze.

I also realized that having an MHA marathon for the hero Star and Stripe seems like an obvious choice for 4th of July weekend.

So that's Version L, pretty close to the worst case scenario without shrinking the block.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18kiZEHRjCW0yVkdMRQT1ypPkHkTUJQHKEPMuKl5DmCg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

If that's your worst case scenario, I'm curious what your pie-in-the-sky scenario looks like.

Version S is pie-in-the-sky-ish if they can't expand beyond earlier than Midnight and now I have made Version SS for if they can get 11:30 back. Getting 11:30 early this year would help fit Scavengers in without disrupting the rest of the lineup and leave room for either an additional show or the return of Two Piece when Shippuden ends.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

I really HOPE we get a full 2nd run of Dr. Stone Season 3: New World. That didn't happen with Season 1, but it did get a marathon rerunning 10 big episodes. Season 2: Stone Wars in 2021 did get a full rerun, and the first episode even reran thrice. If your prediction is correct, that means threepeats for the Part 2 episodes that just marathonned. Of course, when it comes to reruns, timing matters, and we know that the final Season is likely to start this fall. So, holding back on it, until May, or perhaps even until after Shippuden ends, to double it up in the 2AM hour leading up to the final0 season might not be a bad plan barring expansion into the 3 AM hour.

But I'm sure you and most others would rather see One Piece take over Shippuden's timeslot for an extended stay, so that's probably a bit more likely. Of course, we don't know what programming is going to want to do with 3 AM once Unicorn: Warriors Eternal ends, but my guess is they'll call on Supes--we'll know for sure once they release the January 27th schedule, most likely. It would seem they're fine with airing action shows in that timeslot, but they don't want to budget for bumpers for Toonami. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc's final episode not even getting Toonami bumpers was both shocking and mind-boggling to me. It's an open question whether or not we'll see more of that in 2024.

14 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I really HOPE we get a full 2nd run of Dr. Stone Season 3: New World. That didn't happen with Season 1, but it did get a marathon rerunning 10 big episodes. Season 2: Stone Wars in 2021 did get a full rerun, and the first episode even reran thrice. If your prediction is correct, that means threepeats for the Part 2 episodes that just marathonned. Of course, when it comes to reruns, timing matters, and we know that the final Season is likely to start this fall. So, holding back on it, until May, or perhaps even until after Shippuden ends, to double it up in the 2AM hour leading up to the final0 season might not be a bad plan barring expansion into the 3 AM hour.

But I'm sure you and most others would rather see One Piece take over Shippuden's timeslot for an extended stay, so that's probably a bit more likely. Of course, we don't know what programming is going to want to do with 3 AM once Unicorn: Warriors Eternal ends, but my guess is they'll call on Supes--we'll know for sure once they release the January 27th schedule, most likely. It would seem they're fine with airing action shows in that timeslot, but they don't want to budget for bumpers for Toonami. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc's final episode not even getting Toonami bumpers was both shocking and mind-boggling to me. It's an open question whether or not we'll see more of that in 2024.

Just like how they did make bumps for IGPX airing in the bonus hour but didn't air them. It could be a mistake because the network doesn't expect Toonami to air beyond 3am or it could be the network being really lax on something airing at 3am. Which means we might see weeks where Toonami dips beyond 3am and whatever airs at 3am just doesn't have Toonami bumps. They're gonna have to run an extra half hour to fit both Titan specials onto the block for one night if they ever intend to do that and its nice when the marathons can be flexible with how many episodes will air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc's final episode not even getting Toonami bumpers was both shocking and mind-boggling to me. It's an open question whether or not we'll see more of that in 2024.

I think it just boils down to preserving budget (for new stuff like IGPX) or just outright forgetfulness in regards to something like Demon Slayer last week. They probably figure it’s 3am and very few people will notice or care. And it’s not like this practice is new, how many times has a Rick and Morty short been on a schedule graphic only to air after the later? Blum costs money every time and it’s just not worth it for one off bumpers in the dead of night. 

I’ll bet post Toonami hours fade in and out of action content. Perhaps fading out less often now that AS has steady supply of in house action material they can keep on loop there. 

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

EDIT: I decided to add Version L (L for taking the L) in which there is only 1 new acquisition besides Lycoris and the others are continuations. Demon Slayer breaks after Entertainment District which opens up the top slot for RickAnime which would bump Ninja Kamui to 12:30 for the remainder of it's run. And rather than rely on double One Piece for multiple weeks in a row I filled a 6 week slot  mid-Summer with (you guessed it) FLCL. Which one? Could be any of the first 3 seasons or a combination of Grunge and Shoegaze.

I know it’s off brand for me, but I’m actually a little optimistic that we can at minimum avoid the worst case scenario. If Aniplex stays as supportive as they currently are, they just have to push for one more show they want promoted and the trajectory for the whole rest of the year is saved. 

It certainly helps feelings of optimism to start a year on day 1 great. 2022 was a pointless drip feed of news week to week, and 2023 had no action for 5 months. We knew Jan 2024 was gonna be stacked in Nov 2023. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I think it just boils down to preserving budget (for new stuff like IGPX) or just outright forgetfulness in regards to something like Demon Slayer last week. They probably figure it’s 3am and very few people will notice or care. And it’s not like this practice is new, how many times has a Rick and Morty short been on a schedule graphic only to air after the later? Blum costs money every time and it’s just not worth it for one off bumpers in the dead of night. 

I’ll bet post Toonami hours fade in and out of action content. Perhaps fading out less often now that AS has steady supply of in house action material they can keep on loop there. 

I know it’s off brand for me, but I’m actually a little optimistic that we can at minimum avoid the worst case scenario. If Aniplex stays as supportive as they currently are, they just have to push for one more show they want promoted and the trajectory for the whole rest of the year is saved. 

It certainly helps feelings of optimism to start a year on day 1 great. 2022 was a pointless drip feed of news week to week, and 2023 had no action for 5 months. We knew Jan 2024 was gonna be stacked in Nov 2023. 

I’m really not sure what Aniplex would want to push. There’s the upcoming second season of Lycoris which could show up before the end of 2024 but for an immediate replacement… I guess Mashle? That’s recent enough shounen.

The other big question is how much Demon Slayer will Aniplex lend Toonami this year? If you’re right about Aniplex then probably up through Swordsmith Village will air this year but maybe even the Hashira Training arc will start airing on Toonami before 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I’m really not sure what Aniplex would want to push. There’s the upcoming second season of Lycoris which could show up before the end of 2024 but for an immediate replacement… I guess Mashle? That’s recent enough shounen.

The other big question is how much Demon Slayer will Aniplex lend Toonami this year? If you’re right about Aniplex then probably up through Swordsmith Village will air this year but maybe even the Hashira Training arc will start airing on Toonami before 2025.

Mashle is my most likely pick that Aniplex would want to promote and Demarco would agree to. It’s the exact brand of non-Jump shonen that the block has gone for in the past, and its OPM/Black Clover mash (heh) up vibes are sure to hit with the audience. It’s just now starting it’s S2, so maybe a replacement for Lycoris? Depends how consistent Aniplex wants their block presence to be I suppose. Lycoris S2 will definitely be coming too, but probably later in the year. 

If luck is on our side, I think Swordsmith is doable, especially now that it’s yesterdays news with the latest season incoming. That said, Hashira Training before 2025 seems a bit too optimistic, even with a cooperative Aniplex. But for sure on the short list of 2025 pickups. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Mashle is my most likely pick that Aniplex would want to promote and Demarco would agree to. It’s the exact brand of non-Jump shonen that the block has gone for in the past, and its OPM/Black Clover mash (heh) up vibes are sure to hit with the audience. It’s just now starting it’s S2, so maybe a replacement for Lycoris? Depends how consistent Aniplex wants their block presence to be I suppose. Lycoris S2 will definitely be coming too, but probably later in the year. 

If luck is on our side, I think Swordsmith is doable, especially now that it’s yesterdays news with the latest season incoming. That said, Hashira Training before 2025 seems a bit too optimistic, even with a cooperative Aniplex. But for sure on the short list of 2025 pickups. 

Mashle is bonified Weekly Shounen Jump actually but I didn’t realize season 2 was about to begin broadcasting in Japan this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

Mashle is bonified Weekly Shounen Jump actually but I didn’t realize season 2 was about to begin broadcasting in Japan this weekend.

Oh, so it is. I don’t know what series I was thinking of. No matter, I still see it as a strong contender for the block. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

This is why I hope they cut a deal with Sentai Filmworks for Lupin Zero and the Urusei Yatsura reboot. Because they're different from shonen and (probably) cheaper to license.

May not be shonen, but they have been leaning on Lupin for a long time so it’s hardly something fresh, especially since it’s one of those shows the audience seems to glaze over whenever they pick it up. And the only reason Urusei is ever suggested is because it’s Rumiko content, so another tired, “safe” pick. I want to see more stuff like Lycoris that is completely unpredictable. Don’t even care if it’s shonen, at least Mashle is fun and aside from a brief discussion at its release, not something most viewers have on their prediction lists. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on how strong the relationship between Toonami and Aniplex is, we just MIGHT see the return of Gurren Lagann to the block, this time as the movies. Perhaps Childhood's End December 28, 2024 and All The Lights In The Sky Are Stars January 4, 2025? Would be an interesting nod to the manner in which they aired the series 10 years ago!

Of course, if they can get it for cheap, a 5th Cable run of the series might not be out of the question either? Especially with the movies hitting theaters on January 17th and January 24th, respectively...

• Like 1