UnevenEdge

Hooray for sleepless nights!

FreeRoamingVapor

It seems close to 20 years since I regularly and consistently woke up in the morning. 

I'm in my late 30's and it's really caught up with me. I know I've had sleep apnea for a number of years that went undiagnosed but now my sleep schedule is so fucked that I can't even stay up during the day without taking a few naps. I've heard some people say it has something to do with circadian rhythm, but when you've had enough sleep the night before usually I am good for the day but lately, not so much.

I know there are at least a few night owls in this community, have any of you dealt with any sleep issues, if so, what is your approach to fixing your circadian rhythm?

I’ve had major sleep problems for about the last 20 years myself. I usually don’t fall asleep until at least 4am. It’s now 4:30am here, and it feels like this’ll be my second sleepless night in 3 days. I won’t even be able to take a nap tomorrow because I have a doctors appointment in the afternoon. 

I don’t mean to complain, though. As far as fixing my circadian rhythm, I am at a complete loss.

11 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I’ve had major sleep problems for about the last 20 years myself. I usually don’t fall asleep until at least 4am. It’s now 4:30am here, and it feels like this’ll be my second sleepless night in 3 days. I won’t even be able to take a nap tomorrow because I have a doctors appointment in the afternoon. 

I don’t mean to complain, though. As far as fixing my circadian rhythm, I am at a complete loss.

It seems to be a quite the challenge to maintain, but at least I'm not alone in the matter. What I've been doing basically involves staying up all day until it gets to be a good time to sleep (10:30 - 11 pm). It usually works good for a while but now its like I confused my brain so much that it pretty much tells me to go fuck myself if I want to focus or get anything done.  I randomly napped like 3 - 4 times yesterday, maybe 3 hours of uptime until like 5 pm and I woke up at 6 am.

....I think I might need to see a doctor lol

• Thanks 1

There were three times in my life where I came close to fixing it.

• Twice on school breaks where I had no time commitments, I literally just pushed myself to stay up later and later every night/day until I rounded the horn and was organically waking up at 7am and I held onto it for a couple weeks before falling back into a routine.
  • When I started a job fall 2016, I was just so stressed and withdrawn that everything was forced out except my physical needs. So I'd just like drop what I'd be doing practically mid-sentence and just walk to bed. That went away once I got over the shell shock.

I'd recommend #1, but it's virtually impossible for most anyone to find a two week block of time with minimal obligations where you have the freedom to sleep or wake up at any hour of the day.

• Like 1

Always been more of a night person, but I'm all over the place right now. 
Left to my own devices I'd go to bed between 2-3a and wake up at 11am, but the 9-5 world doesn't like that. 

I'm not working right now, but still doing chemo and have to take stuff 12h apart, I can't quite get it all to work out because I need much more sleep because of the medication. Like, 12h should be enough, but it's either barely drag myself out of bed OR awake but not awake enough to move until I'm hungry. 

• Like 3

I don't hit weed like a did in high school, and I honestly have no desire for that volume of the substance, but I still find it amazing how much some simple ass regi can help me sleep/eat and have a good time in the sack. Doesn't work for everyone I guess, but it sure as fuck balances me out. Probably because I was diagnosed as manic depressive one time, and I've only ever taken depression meds when they were forced on me as a child when I was put into a group home for a bit. 

On 9/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, Alchemistress said:

I'm not working right now, but still doing chemo and have to take stuff 12h apart, I can't quite get it all to work out because I need much more sleep because of the medication. Like, 12h should be enough, but it's either barely drag myself out of bed OR awake but not awake enough to move until I'm hungry. 

I'm very sorry to hear that. All I can say is I hope for nothing but positivity and good fortune in your life.

19 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I don't hit weed like a did in high school, and I honestly have no desire for that volume of the substance, but I still find it amazing how much some simple ass regi can help me sleep/eat and have a good time in the sack. Doesn't work for everyone I guess, but it sure as fuck balances me out. Probably because I was diagnosed as manic depressive one time, and I've only ever taken depression meds when they were forced on me as a child when I was put into a group home for a bit. 

Funny enough, I smoke weed nearly everyday and the day I don't have any weird sleep disorder stuff seems to intensify. Withdrawals probably didn't do me any good but its doubtful that it's the root of my issue. Maybe I'm just old and need to consider a healthier way of life? i dunno. lol

Edited by FreeRoamingVapor

7 hours ago, FreeRoamingVapor said:

I'm very sorry to hear that. All I can say is I hope for nothing but positivity and good fortune in your life.

Thanks for that :)

I only have ONE MORE ROUND TO GO so I'm feeling excited. 

(Realizing I shared that probably without any prior context on these boards. I'm in remission, these are maintenance rounds, and they were scheduled for a year - last one in Oct)

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, Alchemistress said:

Always been more of a night person, but I'm all over the place right now. 
Left to my own devices I'd go to bed between 2-3a and wake up at 11am, but the 9-5 world doesn't like that. 

Hang in there. You can beat this. We are all rooting for you.

• Like 1