UnevenEdge

My car is finished. If the bill is under $1000 I'll start going to church

Greeny

I've exceeded $1000 when replacing a transmission twice but a stack for a starter and battery?  Ooooooof.

So let me ask, did you get an independent wrecker to tow you to the shop of your choice or did you just google a shop and they said "we'll come get it and bill ya"

Not being critical, just asking because if the latter, I can totally see where they got that bill up to a stack.

4 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I've exceeded $1000 when replacing a transmission twice but a stack for a starter and battery?  Ooooooof.

So let me ask, did you get an independent wrecker to tow you to the shop of your choice or did you just google a shop and they said "we'll come get it and bill ya"

Not being critical, just asking because if the latter, I can totally see where they got that bill up to a stack.

The only shop close to my home that I know had the equipment to tow it. It was stranded about 20 miles away. It wouldn't start and after they looked at it I guess they assumed it needed to be reprogrammed because they said the starter was getting power and all the wiring looked good. They did replace the battery though because they said it was shot, but they needed to take it to a dealership for the reprogramming. Idk if they even did that but the guy from the shop called me and told me they said they had to put a starter in it. I'm assuming they're going to charge me for the initial tow, the tow to the dealership, and the tow back to their shop. That's where I'm assuming a lot of the total will come from. I'm probably getting ripped off but like Hell am I going to buy a car right now. And I got a good deal on this one to begin with when I bought it 6 years ago and haven't really had to put much money into it until now, so if this keeps it going for a few more years I guess I can live with it.

18 minutes ago, Still Me said:

oof dude…that sucks. Luckily I’ve never had a car issue like that that wasn’t covered under warrantee. Or at least paid for by someone else’s insurance

I'm honestly not that upset about it. I get paid today and my paycheck more than covers it. And I have ways to make the money back without too much effort.

20 hours ago, Greeny said:

Towing fees. Labor. New starter. New battery. Shit adds up.

Jesus fuck.

For future reference, if a starter decides to ass out, you can usually lightly rap on it with a hammer and it'll "un-stick" itself. At least it would be enough to drive it to where you can have it repaired and save you that tow bill.

2 hours ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Jesus fuck.

For future reference, if a starter decides to ass out, you can usually lightly rap on it with a hammer and it'll "un-stick" itself. At least it would be enough to drive it to where you can have it repaired and save you that tow bill.

Yeah, we did that. Even I know that much, and I know less about cars than anyone.