UnevenEdge

So I finally watched Oppenheimer today (August 15)

Insipid

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Cool.  But, why though?

This is at least the 3rd time he's brought up this dual citizen thing...I guess he's proud of it for some reason. 

Usually it's Africans that like to boast about this nothing burger but it's his least annoying thing so who cares.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 2

Just now, André Toulon said:

This is at least the 3rd time he's brought up this dual citizen thing...I guess he's proud of it for some reason. 

Usually it's Africans that like to boast about this nothing burger but it's his least annoying thing so who cares.

The US doesn’t even acknowledge second citizenships.

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The US doesn’t even acknowledge second citizenships.

Japan doesn't either. And the US says that they don't but they require people working in another country under another citizenship to still report their income to the IRS.

Besides the point, I'm not bragging about it, unlike the last time I brought it up. I'm just stating the odd position I find myself watching the film. I thought the film was too long and for being a period piece involving WW2 and a bunch of white American men, there was a huge dearth of "jap" not getting dropped in the film. Contemporary political correctness be damned.

Also, this was a prime opportunity to mention how Kyoto was almost selected instead of Hiroshima. The film only casually mentions this, that Henry Stimson loved his honeymoon there and that was the only reason it got spared. In real life, he also understood had the city been nuked, the Japanese would probably have grown so resentful to the extent that the entire country would have to become obliterated before surrendering. It didn't bother me that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were only lightly touched in the film, but I know this may offend Japanese sensibilities.

3 hours ago, Insipid said:

Besides the point, I'm not bragging about it, unlike the last time I brought it up. I'm just stating the odd position I find myself watching the film. I thought the film was too long and for being a period piece involving WW2 and a bunch of white American men, there was a huge dearth of "jap" not getting dropped in the film. Contemporary political correctness be damned.

Also, this was a prime opportunity to mention how Kyoto was almost selected instead of Hiroshima. The film only casually mentions this, that Henry Stimson loved his honeymoon there and that was the only reason it got spared. In real life, he also understood had the city been nuked, the Japanese would probably have grown so resentful to the extent that the entire country would have to become obliterated before surrendering. It didn't bother me that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were only lightly touched in the film, but I know this may offend Japanese sensibilities.

They obviously don't touch on it because Oppenheimer wasn't involved in the selection of the sites or the actual bombing.  He may have had an opinion on it but it would be secondary to the people who were more directly instrumental in selecting the sites and actually dropping the bombs.  It's no different than suggesting Americans should be offended that Jiro offers no opinion on the attack of Pearl Harbor in The Wind Rises - fictionalized or not, both are biographies about people, not events, and you don't ask these people to commentary (through they narrative) on events they were not a part of.