UnevenEdge

Maui Wildfire…..

1pooh4u

11 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

isn't that just what FEMA is authorized to disburse before having to go to congress etc.

Is it?....I really don't know, but my FEMA check was well over $700 and i don't think there was a wait for it....But seriously, me recalling that timeline is a fool's errand.

But If I'm recalling shit correctly, within the first week we had food cards and FEMA payments.  Of course it got abused and weeks later you had to jump through hoops for it but those of us that applied as soon as communications were up got a few grand.  Not enough to rebuild, but enough to make living with a hole in your roof tolerable.

Now if your house was completely gone or under water, I guess you were spending that on hotel rooms and such until they rolled out the FEMA trailers.....Those didn't touch ground until like October, and Katrina was in August.

• Like 4

Idk but that’s a pathetic amount. The vultures are circling now.  FEMA only beings authorized to disperse that amount is pathetic.  May the universe help the people of Maui having to rely on this congress.  Let’s see what gross shit the GOP will do at the expense of the citizens they’re supposed to serve. 

• Thanks 1

Biden’s response to this disaster has been as expected maybe better than I expected in terms of speed he had people on the ground but idk if it’s enough. FEMA authorized that one time payment and ofc Biden promised to stay as long as it takes. We’ll see

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/maui-wildfires-lahaina-biden-visit-criticism-white-house-response/

• Like 1

"Disaster Captialism" is one of those rare terms that projects the innocuousness and the insidiousness of human failure equally.

The Maui tragedy is the first time I recall seeing the term even though the concept is well documented, and it was used in a way that I would never have expected.  I've always had an inkling that Hawaiians dealt with the same water crimes mainland native populations have dealt with here in the West, but it's not necessarily something that comes to the fore.  This disaster has really exposed a lot of the long simmering issues that plague the islands.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

They could just work with the tourism board and offer Crash Bandicoot LARPING to raise funds.

Split the baby. If any of the Georgia defendants are found guilty and are sentenced to mandatory time, there should be a vote thingie. The winner gets to go to Maui instead of jail and will be launched into the sea by cannon. Voting will be pay to play with all proceeds going to the Maui recovery.

Finally a reason to vote Orange.

• Haha 3

Meanwhile, in Louisiana

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-wildfire-evacuation-4480702c29478bc8ee48b7108ac2c3ed

EDIT: couldn't decide if I wanted to make a new thread for this but I'm not going to update it so I figured just add it as an afterthought to this one.... that's what it's going to be in reality anyway.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Meanwhile, in Louisiana

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-wildfire-evacuation-4480702c29478bc8ee48b7108ac2c3ed

EDIT: couldn't decide if I wanted to make a new thread for this but I'm not going to update it so I figured just add it as an afterthought to this one.... that's what it's going to be in reality anyway.

I saw something about the fires in LA the other day. No one is goin to address climate change. Definitely not anyone that can actually do something. I never heard of a dry Louisiana. Like ever in my life have I ever heard of drought being down there. 

• Like 2