UnevenEdge

FINALLY have AC

thank the faux air gods.

and dude did this for less than 1k. said it will only be a short fix. that 10k will have to get couphed up in 5-8 years.and i'm ok with that. that, i can do. 

omg you have no idea. i want to run around the house naked. 

as i post, i am under a vent, and i can feel the little puffs of freon mix, working their magic. 

yes.

YESSSSS

Female Farnsworth (Futurama)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

you'd have to see it from my perspective. 

after bootcamp, came MOS school, and 'sandman'. 

that fucking song played at least 3x at the e-club (enlisted) and continued well into my first duty station; not played 3x,  but imagine  a bunch of fucking boots 

out on the dance floor. sort of moshing to 'sandman', every time you went to the e-club, which was every weekend, unless you had transport off base (a buddy's pov)

all you want to do is have a 'pint', flirt with the bartender a little, contimplate your life choices, you know...bar shit. 

18 fucking months of that fucking song. 

they weren't that great to begin with. nothing compared to motorhead. also launching 1981. j/s. 

that's it. that's all. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The_annoying_one said:

Okay, that wasn't really bad at all.

But....Metallica....redid.....Sandman......What???

They didn’t.  And Motörhead’s cover isn’t better because it’s kind of a dumb song to begin with: easily digestible to casual heavy metal fans and useful in out-of-context settings.  That being said…

The Black Album will always be the point where Metallica sold out for commercial success.  The first four albums are by no means masterpieces, but they showed a lot of promise.  For most of their early fans, “One” is the high water mark.  The Black Album is where most of their fans first heard them, and its minimalist concepts and simplified riffs made excellent background music for a generation transitioning away from that god awful hair metal .

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

They didn’t.  And Motörhead’s cover isn’t better because it’s kind of a dumb song to begin with: easily digestible to casual heavy metal fans and useful in out-of-context settings.  That being said…

The Black Album will always be the point where Metallica sold out for commercial success.  The first four albums are by no means masterpieces, but they showed a lot of promise.  For most of their early fans, “One” is the high water mark.  The Black Album is where most of their fans first heard them, and its minimalist concepts and simplified riffs made excellent background music for a generation transitioning away from that god awful hair metal .

Now, this is a respectful criticism that I can fully get behind and agree with. I can’t argue with the fact that “Enter Sandman” was pretty generic and horribly overplayed.

Also, being a huge Metallica fan, even I have to admit that none of their albums is perfect from start to finish. “One”, however, is and always will be one of my all-time favorite songs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The_annoying_one said:

You're not even in the fucking arena right now. :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

what are you talking about?

enter sandman = motorhead = not really that great a song, but better than the regurgated metallica rendition

and megadeath? LMAOOOOO

but seriously. 

pantera then motorhead then all the 1000's of metal bands (btw, i'm not a real true metal head. just like a few bands) and then there's metallica. with megadeath trying to keep up. 

*seriously though megadeath guitarist has some very tricky licks i will say. 

Edited by discolé monade

7 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

Now, this is a respectful criticism that I can fully get behind and agree with. I can’t argue with the fact that “Enter Sandman” was pretty generic and horribly overplayed.

Also, being a huge Metallica fan, even I have to admit that none of their albums is perfect from start to finish. “One”, however, is and always will be one of my all-time favorite songs.

Being an instrumental musician, I’ll always be partial to “Orion.”  Each of those early album is something of a variation on a theme.  Ride the Lightning, for instance, focuses on resonance while And Justice for All… explores on the psychology of their music.  Part of Metallica’s appeal at first is that fans can take each album and piece together something of a narrative in a way that can’t be done with the pop music of the day.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

So, we all agree it’s not a good song, right?

I’m gonna have to disagree with you there.

I do admit that it’s generic and severely overplayed, but it still holds a place in my heart for being the song that introduced me to Metallica as a kid. For that reason, I cannot justifiably say that it’s a bad song.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_annoying_one said:

I’m gonna have to disagree with you there.

I do admit that it’s generic and severely overplayed, but it still holds a place in my heart for being the song that introduced me to Metallica as a kid. For that reason, I cannot justifiably say that it’s a bad song.

I said not good.  You can still like a song that’s isn’t good - it doesn’t necessarily have to be bad, just not good enough to be unique or exceptional.

I don’t hate it either.  As a sonic construct, it can amp you up no matter what you think of its quality.  It’s not good compared to their other work, both before or after, but you can still enjoy it.

Since we’re talking Motörhead’s version,  I disliked the bland vocals.  James Hatfield is better at emoting through his lyrics than just about anyone else in heavy metal.  It doesn’t translate to better music, but it does bring life to otherwise lifeless songs.  The Motörhead version pretty much copies the instrumental licks note for note, and drones the vocals in a monotone.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I said not good.  You can still like a song that’s isn’t good - it doesn’t necessarily have to be bad, just not good enough to be unique or exceptional.

I don’t hate it either.  As a sonic construct, it can amp you up no matter what you think of its quality.  It’s not good compared to their other work, both before or after, but you can still enjoy it.

Since we’re talking Motörhead’s version,  I disliked the bland vocals.  James Hatfield is better at emoting through his lyrics than just about anyone else in heavy metal.  It doesn’t translate to better music, but it does bring life to otherwise lifeless songs.  The Motörhead version pretty much copies the instrumental licks note for note, and drones the vocals in a monotone.

You have completely hit the nail on the head with this post. This song is right in the middle when it comes to Metallica.

As far as Motorhead goes, I’ve never hated them but I’ve never really liked them either. As much as I hate to speak ill about the dead, Lemmy’s voice was always a little too one-note for me. Especially in their cover of “Enter Sandman”.

3 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

You have completely hit the nail on the head with this post. This song is right in the middle when it comes to Metallica.

As far as Motorhead goes, I’ve never hated them but I’ve never really liked them either. As much as I hate to speak ill about the dead, Lemmy’s voice was always a little too one-note for me. Especially in their cover of “Enter Sandman”.

That’s actually one of his signatures, it’s just a bad fit here.

19 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I didn’t even consider that. It’s true though.

The thing is, Motörhead isn’t really even comparable to Metallica.  On the whole, Motörhead has been at it far longer than Metallica and they span a couple of sub genres in hard rock over their career.  They’re not a pure metal band and it shows when they cover metal songs.  At the same time Metallica can only do metal.  They don’t have the range to do what Motörhead has done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

The thing is, Motörhead isn’t really even comparable to Metallica.  On the whole, Motörhead has been at it far longer than Metallica and they span a couple of sub genres in hard rock over their career.  They’re not a pure metal band and it shows when they cover metal songs.  At the same time Metallica can only do metal.  They don’t have the range to do what Motörhead has done.

In comes Scoob with yet another truth bomb! Although, some of Metallica’s music isn’t pure metal. There is some traditional rock and ballads, and one (from what I’ve heard) poppy album they did with Lou Reed. I still refuse to listen to that one, to this day.

• Like 1

i will accept JT as an entry .

and no....i truly don't believe that 'enter sandman' is at all anything worthy of motorhead, maybe because of lenny's signature tone wasn't quite right here. 

but, talk about songs that get you amped. 'ace of spades' will get me amped. 

JT will always hold a place in my heart.

• Thanks 2