UnevenEdge

FOOD WARS!!! DISCUSSION!!! (5TH PLATE 13; #86 OVERALL!!!)

WGO Bookmaster's personal chef?  I guess Erina doesn't have higher career aspirations than that?

Acted irresponsible before you met Mana?  What about how you acted as the head of the school, asshole?

A creeper big brother with a sister complex and a creepy asshole father.  Both those jerks got off way too easy!

• Like 1

Erina not happy Soma left without saying goodbye but she's happy he's back now!

Hey she's not being tsundere in her inner monologue anymore!

Of course we cut it off there.  But the people saying the mangaka was non-committal on Soma and Erina were wrong.  I've seen couples get together in a lot more vague and subtle than that!

I remember the end of the Kekkaishi manga 

Spoiler

Yoshimori invited Tokine over to bake a cake or something. 🤣

See now that ending wasn't THAT bad.  But the rest of the season and that creep Asahi BLEH.  Now HE was DISGUSTING!

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Erina not happy Soma left without saying goodbye but she's happy he's back now!

Hey she's not being tsundere in her inner monologue anymore!

Of course we cut it off there.  But the people saying the mangaka was non-committal on Soma and Erina were wrong.  I've seen couples get together in a lot more vague and subtle than that!

I remember the end of the Kekkaishi manga 

Reveal hidden contents

Yoshimori invited Tokine over to bake a cake or something. 🤣

Yup, good point, it's pretty clear.

• Like 1

And so ends Food Wars.

An interesting idea on paper and, while it had staying power for a good while, devolved into a bunch of nonsense with a non-ending despite most of the story being built up to ship the two main characters as a couple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2020-04-08/how-food-wars-lost-its-flavor/.158042

ANN has a pretty good article about the final Food Wars arc.  And it sure looks like we can only blame the manga for this.  It doesn't sound any different than the last season, with a bunch of stuff being off-screened and glossed over.

Fans of long-running manga are likely all too familiar with disappointing final arcs. Ask anyone and they can probably point to at least a couple of favorite series that lost their spark at some point and limped to the finish line. But what sets Food Wars! apart is just how universally its final act is looked down upon by even the series' most ardent fans. Despite the lengthy and convoluted Ninja War arc, fans still love Naruto and have kept up following the story of his son. People may mostly dislike Near and Melo's arc but can't deny that Death Note finale was still fantastic. There were somehow enough vocal vans clamoring for it that we're even getting Bleach's final arc animated next year. Yet the most consistent reaction I saw to the news of Food Wars! getting a full adaptation was confusion and rolled eyes.

Yup, that sums up the situation pretty well haha. 

And I LOVE this excerpt -

Apparently one of the other lingering questions the creators sought to answer was who Asahi Saiba's real father was, and in a flashback so poorly considered it could make you lose your lunch, it's revealed his father is none other than Azami Nakiri, who had a drunken tryst with Asahi's mother at some point and unleashed his inferior villain spawn into the world. Which also means that this whole time Asahi was trying to win the Blue and force Erina to marry him, he was actually trying to bang his half-sister. That's awkward enough, but it turns out Food Wars! just loves forgiving villains with no real justification, and this is all a way for Erina to accept her newly found brother into the family and fix all his lingering issues from being an abused criminal.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2023 at 6:08 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Yep.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-the-fifth-plate/episode-13/.164488

2.5 stars.

Farewell, Food Wars. The first few bites of this course were decent, but later on, it kinda got flavorless.

...oh, what's this? Toonami's reairing Episode 1 of 5th Plate next week for dessert? Great.

So just 1 episode is being rerun?  That's not too bad.  Do we have any idea what is replacing Food Wars?  I don't see a thread about it.

• Confused 1

• Top Gun unpinned this topic