UnevenEdge

April Fool's Stunt Discussion Thread!!

Reposting this here. I’m leaning towards this being the real deal, but no telling what they are actually doing to these shows. 

I have also read that the first timeslot is rated TV14, and the second is TVMA. So that bumps out the Unicorn Warriors theory. Hoping for two brand new pilots. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night, no oddities to be seen in the shows prior to Toonami. I’m still pulling hard to TOM and Sara to host the Toonami comedy pregame. 

8A697311-7D83-46F1-9B8C-80348C8CC812.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Looking forward to tomorrow night, no oddities to be seen in the shows prior to Toonami. I’m still pulling hard to TOM and Sara to host the Toonami comedy pregame. 

It would honestly be pretty cool if Tom and Sara did the pre Toonami bumps tomorrow night. 

So I have Hulu Live and for the program scheduling of the first two 'adult swim' episodes it just says 'TBD' in the description. Pretty excited to see what they air haha 

EDIT Oh! And the Space Ghost episode is Fire Ants, Infomercials episodes are Footage of a Bear and Broomshakalaka (I think this was guessed haha) and Ambient Swim is called 'Vintertog'!

Edited by atomicinumatt

I was gonna watch this one live, but apparently my cable provider's in the process of "retrieving channel info" instead of actually showing me anything.

[sigh] Guess I'll just turn in for tonight and see what the prank was on YouTube tomorrow morning.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

I guess it's ok for an [as] "prank." Kinda just reminding me why I don't really watch most [as] programs anymore..

I mean I really like the 90 seconds of AI created Smiling Friends and its cool to see bits of the new shows but yea it is a bit underwhelming. I still love [as] but wish they would have done something more special I guess. 

7 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I mean I really like the 90 seconds of AI created Smiling Friends and its cool to see bits of the new shows but yea it is a bit underwhelming. I still love [as] but wish they would have done something more special I guess. 

Less about the stunt being pulled, more just that the new shows are fairly meh. And then, like, following up with Space Ghost, as a reminder of what they used to be?

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

Less about the stunt being pulled, more just that the new shows are fairly meh. And then, like, following up with Space Ghost, as a reminder of what they used to be?

The adult swim logo is no [as<<] so I assume we are in 'rewind'. I do admit that the bits of Royal Crackers and Euthanasia did not really have me laughing. They were okay but IDK, I will have to see more I guess. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Daos said:

This is actually better than most of their real content.

I really don't wanna be all, like, nostalgia goggle blinded or whatever (SGC2C was just a bit before my time besides), but honestly. Why was this just so much more... idk. Good stupid? Wholesome dumb? Wholedumb? It's just absolute nonsense, but somehow it still has more charm.

Well that was a fun and relaxing little train ride though the snow. 

I cannot say that this was an amazing April Fools prank line up but I still enjoyed it. I wonder if they will do anything at all before Toonami tomorrow. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

Unfortunately, another absolute stinker of a year. They didn’t even try past the 30 minute mark. 

I wonder if they had planned something with Rick and Morty, but had abort at the last second and didn’t have the time to replace it with anything. Ah well, maybe something tomorrow night for the Toonami crowd. 

• D'oh 1

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

I really don't wanna be all, like, nostalgia goggle blinded or whatever (SGC2C was just a bit before my time besides), but honestly. Why was this just so much more... idk. Good stupid? Wholesome dumb? Wholedumb? It's just absolute nonsense, but somehow it still has more charm.

They had no money back then. They had to try incredibly hard to make things genuinely entertaining to cover up the fact that the shows were created with pocket change. Once they got the money, they started half assing everything. 

And honestly, say what you will about him, but Lazzo was the glue holding everything together. He had a pulse on what was a good idea and what was a bad idea. He could be a jackass at times, but he still knew what was best for the network and wasn’t afraid to turn away crap ideas. He didn’t mince words for why Birdgirl shouldn’t be made, and as soon as he leaves they move forward with it, and we find out he was 100% right. 

6 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

He could be a jackass at times, but he still knew what was best for the network and wasn’t afraid to turn away crap ideas. He didn’t mince words for why Birdgirl shouldn’t be made, and as soon as he leaves they move forward with it, and we find out he was 100% right. 

As much as I loved the times when Lazzo was around, and as much as I disliked Turdgirl, He did make some questionable and at other times terrible decisions. 

5 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

They had no money back then. They had to try incredibly hard to make things genuinely entertaining to cover up the fact that the shows were created with pocket change. Once they got the money, they started half assing everything. 

And honestly, say what you will about him, but Lazzo was the glue holding everything together. He had a pulse on what was a good idea and what was a bad idea. He could be a jackass at times, but he still knew what was best for the network and wasn’t afraid to turn away crap ideas. He didn’t mince words for why Birdgirl shouldn’t be made, and as soon as he leaves they move forward with it, and we find out he was 100% right. 

I maintain there would be three things Lazzo would have done if he was still in charge.

First, no Birdgirl, no Tuca and Bertie and no revival movies, although he probably wouldn’t have let Venture Bros get canceled in the first place.

Second, he probably would have begun, before everything went tits up, pushed for Rick and Morty to be more stand alone.  “Be more funny, no one cares about lore.”

Third, if he had resources, I think his Astro Boy fandom would have had him try to secure Pluto as an Adult Swim original rather than let Netflix have it.  This is the same guy who admitted 5:30am Astro reruns were a birthday present to himself.

Edited by Jman

Just finished watching the stunt. Personally speaking, I liked it. I thought it was clever, mocking rebranding by going through five different names in two hours and airing programming relevant to each one (i.e. [as>>] being stealth premieres, [as<<] being classic Space Ghost, [as-] being Infomercials, etc.). I actually kind of want to watch Royal Crackers now, too. Maybe not so for Teenage Euthanasia, but it surprised me with how tolerable it was, at least compared to Birdgirl. Not the best prank, but a welcome one. Just wish my cable cooperated with me so I could experience it with the few of you in here...

1 hour ago, Jman said:

...things Lazzo would have done if he was still in charge...no revival movies, although he probably wouldn’t have let Venture Bros get canceled in the first place.

Easily AT&T's biggest fumble, and even then it was a drop in the bucket compared to Zaslav's raging hateboner that should have killed him from lack of blood to the brain by now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Just finished watching the stunt. Personally speaking, I liked it. I thought it was clever, mocking rebranding by going through five different names in two hours and airing programming relevant to each one (i.e. [as>>] being stealth premieres, [as<<] being classic Space Ghost, [as-] being Infomercials, etc.). I actually kind of want to watch Royal Crackers now, too. Maybe not so for Teenage Euthanasia, but it surprised me with how tolerable it was, at least compared to Birdgirl. Not the best prank, but a welcome one. Just wish my cable cooperated with me so I could experience it with the few of you in here...

This is basically my over all take on the stunt. It was not as good as past ones but I found it rather enjoyable and liked how they segmented it as [as>>], [as<<] and [as-]. Surprisingly I most enjoyed the Ambient Swim with the Vintertog train ride through the snow haha I found the music and visuals to be so relaxing and pretty. 

4 hours ago, Jman said:

I maintain there would be three things Lazzo would have done if he was still in charge.

First, no Birdgirl, no Tuca and Bertie and no revival movies, although he probably wouldn’t have let Venture Bros get canceled in the first place.

Second, he probably would have begun, before everything went tits up, pushed for Rick and Morty to be more stand alone.  “Be more funny, no one cares about lore.”

Third, if he had resources, I think his Astro Boy fandom would have had him try to secure Pluto as an Adult Swim original rather than let Netflix have it.  This is the same guy who admitted 5:30am Astro reruns were a birthday present to himself.

Mike Lazzo may have made some mistakes but I really wish he would have stuck around. I think we absolutely would have been in a better state of affairs now if he had. As Toonamiguy said, he did have an intimate understanding of the situation, especially since he was involved in the inception of [as] and Toonami. 

I am actually looking forward to Pluto. Sad that we probably will not get it on Toonami though. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

Well, I'm glad I really didn't seem to miss anything when I went into hibernation during whatever that boom-thing commercial was. 

I was worried that something epic really would have been scheduled after all the weird little halflings were shown [ and 'Fireant' ] but couldn't keep my eyes open one second longer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Easily AT&T's biggest fumble, and even then it was a drop in the bucket compared to Zaslav's raging hateboner that should have killed him from lack of blood to the brain by now.

I think Lazzo was probably asked about it before but he had the seniority to push back on it, which his successor did not have (Publick said in a tweet Adult Swim was overridden on the matter).  

22 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I couldn't hold my eyes open!

I had a BIG exam this morning and had to be up at 8 anyway, so no dice.

If I passed, it was the last test I'll ever take. If I failed, I guess it was most likely the next-to-last?

Damn exams on a Saturday? 

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It was a computer-based standardized national exam one only gets to take after getting a degree in Civil Engineering and working a few years in a specialized field. Basically, Hell on a computer screen to most people! 🤣

Ah. Well, congrats on getting through your FE exam, then! I took mine on a Wednesday during spring break; ironically, the day before the U.S. went into COVID lockdown.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It was a computer-based standardized national exam one only gets to take after getting a degree in Civil Engineering and working a few years in a specialized field. Basically, Hell on a computer screen to most people! 🤣

Hell yea man, I have a few colleagues who are engineers, though I know very little about it haha academically I am a mathematician and professionally I have been working as a data scientist, so I work on computers all day long!

Congrats and I hope you did well!!