UnevenEdge

What will Toonami be doing for April Fool's Day?

3ngag3

April 1st falls on a Saturday this year which means it's time for them to pull some shenanigans again. Last time, if I remember correctly, they had their shows aired in Japanese with English subtitles, but that was back when they were still loosely associated with Crunchyroll. It will be interesting to see what Toonami does this time around now that they're practically on their own.

I kind of assume there will probably be some kind of new Rick and Morty special myself, but what do you all think?

Nothing. April 1st is on a Saturday, yes, but [as] normally does their prank within those bounds; in the case of this year, late Friday night. While I wouldn't put it past them to air something on Saturday prime time, the moment Toonami starts - which will technically be on April 2nd - the playing around is over.

Even sadder, we won't be getting a stunt on Saturday next year either, thanks to a little thing called "leap years".

• Confused 1

Nothing. Toonami technically isn’t on Saturday as it starts at midnight Sunday. When Toonami starts, it’s April 2nd. Only way Toonami would be in the zone for a prank is if the upcoming schedule shifts the block to 11:30 or earlier. 

I believe the next time Toonami falls on April Fools is 2029. So, we are likely never seeing a prank for the block again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Last time April 1st was a Saturday was 2017, and Toonami actually lost its first hour for a Rick & Morty sneak.

Since they can't do ANYTHING next year they MIGHT do something THIS year, but who knows?

I don’t even think nu-AS wants to do April Fools at all anymore. The last two years have been shameful. 2021 was 45 minutes of kid voiced shows where they only really tried on Aqua Teen, and last year I think was 5 total minutes of Pibby edits. They are probably glad Toonami is outside the April Fools window because that means not having to think something up Toonami specific. 

Since Royal Crackers premiers on April 2nd, I have a feeling the prank will somehow be associated with that

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I don’t even think nu-AS wants to do April Fools at all anymore. The last two years have been shameful. 2021 was 45 minutes of kid voiced shows where they only really tried on Aqua Teen, and last year I think was 5 total minutes of Pibby edits. They are probably glad Toonami is outside the April Fools window because that means not having to think something up Toonami specific. 

Since Royal Crackers premiers on April 2nd, I have a feeling the prank will somehow be associated with that

And 2020 was just a bunch of sneak peeks hosted by Post Malone. Maybe Gemusetto the previous year is going to be the last memorable April Fool's thing [as] ever does, but I hope not. They had a pretty good run going in the late 2010's between that, Bushworld Adventures, and of course the Rick & Morty S3 stealth premiere.

A Royal Crackers marathon of all the new episodes (since I guess it's has been ready for a while) would suffice for a gag relating to that show, but then again they already did that with Smiling Friends S1 outside of the holiday.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

To quote someone on the [as] community we all left behind, the biggest prank they pulled in 2022 was getting people to watch Birdgirl.

It’s been nearly a year and I’m still steaming that I sat through an entire episode of Birdgirl and didn’t even catch the ONE edit in the episode because it was so quick and decently hidden. 

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

And 2020 was just a bunch of sneak peeks hosted by Post Malone. Maybe Gemusetto the previous year is going to be the last memorable April Fool's thing [as] ever does, but I hope not. They had a pretty good run going in the late 2010's between that, Bushworld Adventures, and of course the Rick & Morty S3 stealth premiere.

A Royal Crackers marathon of all the new episodes (since I guess it's has been ready for a while) would suffice for a gag relating to that show, but then again they already did that with Smiling Friends S1 outside of the holiday.

I give them a pass on 2020. April 1 was peak Covid mania, so the fact that they rolled anything at all out was commendable. I’m sure Post and pals had recorded all that months prior but still. At least they actually did something. I doubt he charged a fortune but Post is pretty prominent these days, cashing in a favor or whatever they did to get him there made it seem like they cared. And Post had a couple good one liners about some of the shows. 

21 and 22 felt like AS tasked interns with the job a week beforehand. I’m actually glad R&M is a hot button right now because just maybe they will do a prank that doesn’t heavily revolve around it.

• Like 1

I still don't get how Birdgirl got a second season. I do understand that Jellystone! and Warner's desire to use the Hanna-Barbera characters for something besides satire and stoner shows made everything people liked about Harvey Birdman off limits, but still, Birdgirl is a pointless show when you get down to it on the level of AfterM.A.S.H.  

With that being said, April Fools, if it occurs on Saturday or Sunday, might just go with an old reliable airing of The Room or some other low-budget film clumsily edited for the joke.  The running of Adult Swim feels so chaotic lately with the ratings fails and the other stuff that a big, elaborate prank feels like their last priority.  You can do that when you're on top, not when it's all hands on deck because the company's CEO keeps writing off your shows for the tax benefits.

6 hours ago, Jman said:

I still don't get how Birdgirl got a second season. I do understand that Jellystone! and Warner's desire to use the Hanna-Barbera characters for something besides satire and stoner shows made everything people liked about Harvey Birdman off limits, but still, Birdgirl is a pointless show when you get down to it on the level of AfterM.A.S.H.  

Easy, the same way Velma is getting a S2. They took the initial batch of episodes, cut it in half, and are marketing the second half as a second season so it makes the show not look like the huge mistake everyone said it was. Once those air, it will be quietly cancelled.