UnevenEdge

Remembering the scene from Moral Orel that probably got the show canceled

Jman

I've seen this one listed as a solid reason too. 

The depiction of regression caused by sexual trauma was considered a little too real and potentially triggering. So fair warning for anyone who hasn't actually watched Moral Orel, especially the last season where each episode was specifically written to explore the darker side of 'morality' . 

I thought it was because of that one episode with that older woman (librarian or something? I don't remember) and how she gave herself a coat hanger abortion that caused the show to be canceled.

Overall though the series dealt with a whole lot of fucked up and heavy things.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Lazzo requested a darker tone, and Dino gave it to him. It was less a case of being "not funny" and more one of being "too bleak".

Dino: *Makes Season 3 darker, as requested*

Mike: "...fuck what have I done?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DBAss said:

I thought it was because of that one episode with that older woman (librarian or something? I don't remember) and how she gave herself a coat hanger abortion that caused the show to be canceled.

Overall though the series dealt with a whole lot of fucked up and heavy things.

That was the same episode as the clip I posted came from.

It was Orel's teacher Sculpthem who got pregnant from rape, the abortion resulted in her being unable to ever have kids again. Her backstory was going to be gone into deeper but the script was denied outright so her story is told in mini-form in the same episode as Bendy's. 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

That was the same episode as the clip I posted came from.

It was Orel's teacher Sculpthem who got pregnant from rape, the abortion resulted in her being unable to ever have kids again. Her backstory was going to be gone into deeper but the script was denied outright so her story is told in mini-form in the same episode as Bendy's. 

I've been wanting to rewatch MO for awhile now. Also the original Aqua Teen series, those two were the shit back in the day.

20 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Lazzo requested a darker tone, and Dino gave it to him. It was less a case of being "not funny" and more one of being "too bleak".

Lazzo has gone on record that he disliked heavy serialization because it made it harder to be funny (case in point, his vehement hatred of Metalocalypse) and some of the season 3 episodes barely had five jokes between episodes.

It could easily be a case of both, but when Lazzo was in charge, jokes came first, and if you didn’t bring the funny, you were gone.

16 hours ago, Jman said:

Lazzo has gone on record that he disliked heavy serialization because it made it harder to be funny (case in point, his vehement hatred of Metalocalypse) and some of the season 3 episodes barely had five jokes between episodes.

It could easily be a case of both, but when Lazzo was in charge, jokes came first, and if you didn’t bring the funny, you were gone.

Then how do you explain the five billion Tim and Eric shows and the other five billion unfunny live action shows? 😝

Just now, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Then how do you explain the five billion Tim and Eric shows and the other five billion unfunny live action shows? 😝

Tim and Eric are considered “a comedian’s comedian” in much the same way Andy Kaufman was.  They’re not trying to tell a drama about a broken marriage and a fucked up conservative town.

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

That garbage doesn't tell a story over several episodes. It's basically a one-n-done thing so that every episode can be re-aired in any sequence they feel like and nothing of value will be lost.

Except brain cells.