UnevenEdge

Netflix takes Junji Ito for new anthology series

Jman

3 hours ago, Blatch said:

And here you thought Netflix was going to make a Yakuza series to ride Shenmue's coattails. Guess this works too. Also, it's a nice way to override that older Ito anthology series.

Friday is all about video game adaptations.  They could still surprise us.

Realistically, now that Sega optioned a Yakuza movie, I don’t see an anime being made.

Edited by Jman

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

why does it always feel like netflix is desperately trying to seem cool with the anime crowd while saying "How Do You Do Fellow Otaku's? I Sure Do Love me  some pocky pocky sticks!"

As opposed to Toonami -

Netflix’s animation head meanwhile is a weeb, but one of those weebs that thinks the 80s and 90s was the best time for the medium and rolls his eyes at socially conscious fans on Twitter and Tumblr.  Why do you think the Western cartoons got eviscerated (“Fuck Wings of Fire, Fuck Bone, and fuck anything where the creator uses hair dye!”) but they keep hiring studios to make more stuff like 80s and 90s OVAs?  “Yeah, let’s make a Cyberpunk show and have the chick with three boobs from Total Recall in it!”

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Jman said:

As opposed to Toonami -

Netflix’s animation head meanwhile is a weeb, but one of those weebs that thinks the 80s and 90s was the best time for the medium and rolls his eyes at socially conscious fans on Twitter and Tumblr.  Why do you think the Western cartoons got eviscerated (“Fuck Wings of Fire, Fuck Bone, and fuck anything where the creator uses hair dye!”) but they keep hiring studios to make more stuff like 80s and 90s OVAs?  “Yeah, let’s make a Cyberpunk show and have the chick with three boobs from Total Recall in it!”

Toonami Doesn't Have Anywhere near the amount of money that netflix does so don't try and act like the toonami crew's lack of content lately is due to laziness or incompetence

it's due to Sony Having a stranglehold on the distribution market and toonami having very few options in terms of shows they can actually obtain

so quit acting like Toonami Did this to themselves when it's something they had no control over

Ya know unless you count One Piece (which is surely a Toei contract), Netflix hasn't added anything under the Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Aniplex umbrella in a while. I think the last addition was SAO Alicization War of Underworld. I don't think they've picked up anything from Sentai all that recently either.

I was thinking like season 1 before it, Demon Slayer season 2 would come to Netflix after CR/FUNi finished streaming the dub but so far that hasn't happened. It could still happen later this year but if it doesn't then I think we can take that as a clear sign that Toonami isn't the only platform that Sony isn't making new deals with.

Also the first batch of anime licenses from Aniplex and Crunchyroll on HBO Max expired recently. Seems unlikely they will let the contracts be renewed no matter what HBO Max is willing to pay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...