UnevenEdge

what made anime such A Must Have for companies in the streaming age?

CountFrylock

Two of the most important numbers for any programming executive are 18 and 34.

If younger people go to, say, Netflix to watch Brand New Animal or Attack On Titan, they might look around and see other types of shows that interest them. More people using your service means more revenue, and if you can keep the pipeline steady, you can pretty much continue to make money because anime fans in theory aren't using your service to watch just one show.

3 minutes ago, Seight said:

Two of the most important numbers for any programming executive are 18 and 34.

If younger people go to, say, Netflix to watch Brand New Animal or Attack On Titan, they might look around and see other types of shows that interest them. More people using your service means more revenue, and if you can keep the pipeline steady, you can pretty much continue to make money because anime fans in theory aren't using your service to watch just one show.

that's the thing though....they gotta keep the pipeline steady and new anime content coming consistently otherwise it's gonna be hard to keep anime fans coming to your service instead of just hopping onto funimation

I Know HBO Max probably won't be able to keep a steady stream of anime coming in the near future

I associate with series that gained major mainstream attention such as AoT, MHA, and I guess Demon Slayer, that made the normies start opening up to it. Hell, I remember my last year in high school which was 2012, and not one single person aside from the weebs of the school would even acknowledge or imply that they watched anime. I still remember this one group of weebs that used to hang out near the entrance to the building every morning, right around the library and they would always be going on about anime this, and Japan that. They were a bunch of white kids, but would be using random Japanese words like baka in normal chat, and I guess they were all fans of Hetalia, cause they all had country nicknames for each other. I remember seeing my fair share of people at school that would make fun of that group, and would avoid them like they were lepers. I'm pretty sure those types contributed to a lot of people there either not liking anime at all, or being secretive about that.

But then because of those big shows, it caused anime to become normalized, to where a whole lot more people find it socially acceptable to watch it (that said, they'd likely only publicly talk about the super mainstream ones). Also the spread of social media I'd say also accelerated interest in that genre, to where it became something that no streaming platform wanted to miss out on, with everyone of them wanting to cash in on it. I think even Disney+ somewhat recently announced some anime they were gonna pick up (though considering it's Disney we're talking about, I doubt they'd handle any anime that well)

I think the tug-of-war between Netflix and Crunchyroll accrued interest in why Netflix is so quick to throw down on anime licenses.

Disney Plus likely jumped into the trend to both ape what Netflix is doing and diversify their otherwise odd hodge-podge of IPs.

The other streaming sites don’t have this luxury though. HBO Max and Hulu are dealing with CR and Fuji’s leftovers. 

Amazon’s been trying to break through for a while, but gave up when Anime Strike and Kabenari flopped hard.

Paramount hasn’t done much, but I can imagine dealing with Viacom’s leftovers meant resigning to the fate of only having Aeon Flux as their anime-esque representation. 

• Thanks 1

Relatively inexpensive programming that Netflix figured "Hey, let's stop treating this as if it only belongs in a very small, specific section of discussion," which exposed people who would have pooh-poohed it as "weebshit" (the course correction when every American studio tried to use surface elements in the work), and created a casual audience who saw it alongside their preferred programming.  

Add on that, when one company is successful with something, everyone wants to play follow the leader, and now here we are.

You simply could not advertise shows like Cobra Kai as being live-action shounen without people looking at you like you had smoking turds in your mouth, now that’s how Netflix does it.

Edited by Jman

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 1:03 PM, Chapinator_X said:

I think the tug-of-war between Netflix and Crunchyroll accrued interest in why Netflix is so quick to throw down on anime licenses.

Disney Plus likely jumped into the trend to both ape what Netflix is doing and diversify their otherwise odd hodge-podge of IPs.

The other streaming sites don’t have this luxury though. HBO Max and Hulu are dealing with CR and Fuji’s leftovers. 

Amazon’s been trying to break through for a while, but gave up when Anime Strike and Kabenari flopped hard.

Paramount hasn’t done much, but I can imagine dealing with Viacom’s leftovers meant resigning to the fate of only having Aeon Flux as their anime-esque representation. 

Paramount will try sooner or later....