UnevenEdge

Will toonami ever recover from the budget cuts of 2020?

CountFrylock

having a smaller budget is something i can understand for that period but it seems like those budget cuts just aren't going away

loss of ad-revenue from live sports was one of the reasons things had to be cut across the board....but those have been back for awhile now

the packaging budget was noted to have been slashed recently(explaining the weirdness around bumpers lately)

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Every time you doompost about the block, their budget gets cut another $100.

Be Serious for one damn moment....i know that might be impossible for you but just....for once don't call this needless hatred for the block and everything on it

budget this budget that has always been in the conversation for one reason or another....not enough money  lack of money and I'm not bringing it up to even humor the idea that toonami's dead or dying

I'm bringing it up because the factors that led to reduced budgets across the board aren't the same as they were in 2020

we don't have comic book publishers unable to release new titles with The Main Distributor shutdown anymore

all live events aren't off the table and canceled anymore

theaters aren't closed down ghost towns anymore

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Sad 1

Adult Swim has always run a tight budget compared to other major networks like TBS and TNT. WarnerMedia’s ad-revenue got shot to hell when they lost live sports for a while and when they got them back a lot less people had cable to watch them. WarnerMedia’s TV ad-revenue will probably never be what it was and focusing on HBO Max all but assures that.

I suspect that the bosses looked at how much money Toonami was using and how often they were producing new CG for bumpers and determined it was time to dial that back. Possibly as a trade off for a healthy budget for originals as well as more for acquisitions so they avoid another Fall 2021 scenario.

According to DeMarco, the network is satisfied with the performances of Fena and Black Lotus and is giving Toonami lots of support. From the look of it they are making almost as many hours of original anime for Toonami as they are making for animated comedies per year. They clearly value Toonami. But look at the rest of AS. They scrounged enough to get King of the Hill and Futurama back but the network looks far from healthy and the CN side looks as bad or worse. So it’s understandable that they aren’t letting Toonami spend so much money on packaging. I love that stuff but they can make do with reusing more of what they have already made.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Adult Swim has always run a tight budget compared to other major networks like TBS and TNT. WarnerMedia’s ad-revenue got shot to hell when they lost live sports for a while and when they got them back a lot less people had cable to watch them. WarnerMedia’s TV ad-revenue will probably never be what it was and focusing on HBO Max all but assures that.

I suspect that the bosses looked at how much money Toonami was using and how often they were producing new CG for bumpers and determined it was time to dial that back. Possibly as a trade off for a healthy budget for originals as well as more for acquisitions so they avoid another Fall 2021 scenario.

According to DeMarco, the network is satisfied with the performances of Fena and Black Lotus and is giving Toonami lots of support. From the look of it they are making almost as many hours of original anime for Toonami as they are making for animated comedies per year. They clearly value Toonami. But look at the rest of AS. They scrounged enough to get King of the Hill and Futurama back but the network looks far from healthy and the CN side looks as bad or worse. So it’s understandable that they aren’t letting Toonami spend so much money on packaging. I love that stuff but they can make do with reusing more of what they have already made.

It'll Be Weird Never Having another lineup promo (i understand when things got too hectic those became unsustainable)because it did a decent job of frequently promoting the lineup through out the week during regular adultswim hours

although I'll  really miss seeing those "Next Time On" Promo's they used to do for more shows especially since they tend to cut out the episode preview clips that happen after the credits in every anime

the exception being attack on titan

if it's merely the bumpers experiencing a budget cut....then that makes me a little more optimistic as the last thing i wanted to think about was the possibility of them having to do some outlandish stuff if The 2020 Budget Cuts were still wrecking havoc on acquisitions  in some way shape or form

things did get chaotic near the end of last year....i can agree we don't want another situation like that

although i wonder  why after saying there were still 2 or 3 more shows left to announce(before attack on titan was announced)demarco then went on to treat the 2/12 schedule as if it's the permanent schedule moving forward

doubling up a show has never been a permanent fixture on the block....typically it's to stall for time so to see double one piece treated as something normal did surprise me

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

It'll Be Weird Never Having another lineup promo (i understand when things got too hectic those became unsustainable)because it did a decent job of frequently promoting the lineup through out the week during regular adultswim hours.

Huh? What the heck are you babbling about now? It's true we haven't had a lineup promo in months but I missed them saying flat-out there would never be one again. We may not see one for at least a few more, but "never" is news to me.

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Huh? What the heck are you babbling about now? It's true we haven't had a lineup promo in months but I missed them saying flat-out there would never be one again. We may not see one for at least a few more, but "never" is news to me.

the packaging budget being slashed and them having to stretch it the best they can alongside big plans for toonami's anniversary

makes me think that

Edited by CountFrylock

About the packaging budget being cut, here's what I don't understand: do they really need new animation for each bumps refresh? At this point, given that the current version of TOM has been around since the end of 2019, they should have enough footage that they can recycle it every so often, and the casual viewer would never know. Just have new dialogue for TOM and SARA along with new clips from the shows. Heck, if they want to be really frugal, they can even except the former. I just want to tune in for a show and see footage in the bumps that isn't from the first episode, because that's what's happened with Fena and Black Lotus(?) and now MiA, and in the case of the latter, it's going to be odd once we get into the later episodes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blatch said:

About the packaging budget being cut, here's what I don't understand: do they really need new animation for each bumps refresh? At this point, given that the current version of TOM has been around since the end of 2019, they should have enough footage that they can recycle it every so often, and the casual viewer would never know. Just have new dialogue for TOM and SARA along with new clips from the shows. Heck, if they want to be really frugal, they can even except the former. I just want to tune in for a show and see footage in the bumps that isn't from the first episode, because that's what's happened with Fena and Black Lotus(?) and now MiA, and in the case of the latter, it's going to be odd once we get into the later episodes.

I felt the same way about Gundam: The Origin. The bumps never went past Episode 1 despite the fact that the show had regular timeskips. Just acknowledging that Casval/Char had  grown up in the bumpers would have been nice. But where that show did score big was its perfect promo. By far my favorite promo of 2019!

But I digress. I can certainly see Made In Abyss ending up the same way if more care isn't taken to it. The last 4 episodes have been fairly lighthearted with an air of foreboding. But the mood seems to be changing now...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, CountFrylock said:

Be Serious for one damn moment....i know that might be impossible for you but just....for once don't call this needless hatred for the block and everything on it

budget this budget that has always been in the conversation for one reason or another....not enough money  lack of money and I'm not bringing it up to even humor the idea that toonami's dead or dying

I'm bringing it up because the factors that led to reduced budgets across the board aren't the same as they were in 2020

we don't have comic book publishers unable to release new titles with The Main Distributor shutdown anymore

all live events aren't off the table and canceled anymore

theaters aren't closed down ghost towns anymore

Okay, real talk? I genuinely think you have an unhealthy fixation on this late-night cartoon block, to the point that your loved ones would be seriously concerned for your well-being if it got cancelled again. Like, damn near every post I see from you is worrying about the state of Toonami, the budget, acquisitions, you name it. There are 40 unpinned threads on the first page of this folder, you made sixteen of them, and the vast majority of those are to complain about something someone did or worry about the schedule and getting shows for it. That shit is exhausting just to read, I have no idea how you manage to function with what appears to be a severe level of anxiety over the block. Get a therapist, or a hobby, or a fleshlight, anything to focus on that isn't Toonami for a change. I'll hook you up with my favorite sex toy site if it'll get your mind off cartoons for twenty minutes!

It's clear that Toonami is a labor of love, and those involved are going to do everything in their power to keep it alive as long as possible. It may dwindle down to a two-hour block of Naruto premiers and original reruns, but it'll still exist in some form as long as they can keep it up. Worse comes to worst, I actually think it's more likely for HBO to absorb it as some kind of branding for DC and mature animation than letting it die entirely. Toonami fans are nothing if not loyal, and it'd be a waste not to try and milk that loyalty for whatever they can get from it. It's nothing short of a fucking miracle that Toonami came back from the dead in the first place; the thought of it one day running its course and returning to the graveyard from whence it came isn't too horrifying when you look at the legacy it'll leave whenever that day comes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1