UnevenEdge

Since One Piece is Dead (on Toonami) **spoilers**

mochi

here's the opening of one of the Arcs we aren't going to get to see, it contains Spoilers for the Arc we would be on right now if the show hadn't been dropped

spoilers are

Luffy Standing over is brother Ace's Grave

the straw hats undergoing training without Luffy

and a flashback to Luffy and Ace's childhood

I doubt it.

One Piece needs a weeknight timeslot to blow through all the previously dubbed material to get to dub premieres before returning to Toonami on Saturday night. Of course, it won't get it.

I think maybe when DBZ Kai ends, One Piece might be back. But the same arc it's leaving on? Doubt that. It should be a dub premiere.

That's a shame... if I'm not mistaken that's one of the more interesting story arcs (imo). Why did they axe One Piece again? I mean I understand if it was just a length vs. cost efficiency thing... it's one of the longest shonens in history.

Either way, I'd say just watch on Funimation.... they do a great job of simulcasting for free on a regular basis. One Piece is definitely what I refer to as an investment anime, which usually are either long or have the general understanding that follow up series are coming after to fill in the whole story. As it is, that investment is really paying off for me personally, I feel as though the show is finally revealing some of the more intricate and overarching answers that have been eluded to for many years but never fully explored.

That's a shame... if I'm not mistaken that's one of the more interesting story arcs (imo). Why did they axe One Piece again? I mean I understand if it was just a length vs. cost efficiency thing... it's one of the longest shonens in history.

Either way, I'd say just watch on Funimation.... they do a great job of simulcasting for free on a regular basis. One Piece is definitely what I refer to as an investment anime, which usually are either long or have the general understanding that follow up series are coming after to fill in the whole story. As it is, that investment is really paying off for me personally, I feel as though the show is finally revealing some of the more intricate and overarching answers that have been eluded to for many years but never fully explored.

it was dropped because of ratings

the show does better on streaming than it did on TV so Funi decided to stick just to the streams

Honestly, I can't say that I'm surprised. The core fandom of One Piece are long long time viewers that have been watching since childhood or adolescence. Funnily enough though I'm the opposite, I didn't even want to so much look at a One Piece episode for many years since first seeing how awful the 4kids dub was with my own eyes. And that was BEFORE I knew it was heavily edited from the original, I only started watching it several years ago. I still can't stand any American voice actors for Luffy or Sanji though, and so I can never watch the dubs. Sanji's Japanese rendition is imo one of the best performed male voices in any shonen, at least the ones I've seen and I've seen too many to count at this point. @__@

hopefully, after AoT season 2, IBO season 2, Tokyo Ghoul and DBZKai are done, they'll bring it back to continue the next arc. i wouldn't mind one piece coming off and on the lineup periodically (thugh id prefer they leave it on and remove Naruto)

that's still a long ways away....and even though some say it might come back differently I'd prefer if it didn't go so far that it skips marineford entirely

it's depressing that samurai jack can get reruns aired on a wednesday night for the final season but none of the toonami anime's could get that treatment....even DBZ!  I'd imagine one piece would be doing better if they reran the previous episode on a weeknight(Maybe Tuesday?)

anime's never gonna have premieres again on the weekdays but maybe reairing the most recent episode on a weeknight would do some good

more people are probably watching television on the weekday than the weekend since the weekend gives them other things to do and  honestly they wouldn't be stuck in front of the tv

Luffy Standing over is brother Ace's Grave

the straw hats undergoing training without Luffy

and a flashback to Luffy and Ace's childhood

So yeah remember last week when Luffy heard that Ace may be in grave danger and that he said Ace can handle it on his own?

.... ee-yeeeaaah.....

It was lying there for the past 4 years with ever-lowering ratings, and Toonami did everything they could to boost interest including holding a marathon, and airing it at 8:30 PM on Saturdays, and nothing worked. That, and it's basically just a slow-moving anime that anyone can just go online to watch the subs for already.  Which sucks because I really love the story and characters. 

and at least one piece had characters who weren't going to just give the villain a fair shot just because....

Looking at you goku...

Goku is like the worst anime hero ever  and yet he's the most popular anime hero...it's weird  he jeopardizes his family and loved ones constantly because he wants to fight the villains at their best

and at least one piece had characters who weren't going to just give the villain a fair shot just because....

Looking at you goku...

Goku is like the worst anime hero ever  and yet he's the most popular anime hero...it's weird  he jeopardizes his family and loved ones constantly because he wants to fight the villains at their best

Yes but since he's an alien it gets glossed over as "He can't help it."

Goku was actually going to let Frieza go after it was clear he was a mass murderer who wiped out planets for fun.

Goku was actually going to let Frieza go after it was clear he was a mass murderer who wiped out planets for fun.

Vegeta is a better hero than Goku, Super goes out of it's way to stress that

while simultaneously not letting Vegeta actually have the spotlight

from what I've seen large parts of Super are dedicated to pointing out that Goku is a sociopath incapable of feeling anything other than a lust for battle and that Vegeta is genuinely a sweet but self hating man doing his best to make ammends for his past actions who really loves his family and wants to protect them from all the horrible things GOKU keeps deliberately luring to their planet to fight

so far it's been confirmed that

1. Goku can't control his strength and has no desire to ever do so, whereas Vegeta's apparent weakness in comparison to him is because he's got too much control over his

2. Goku does not love his wife while Vegeta definitely loves his

3. Goku at least in one case purposefully told a villian to attack earth just because he wanted to fight him (and he was fully aware this was a bad thing to do because he told Vegeta not to tell Chichi he did it)

Superman is an alien.....yet he doesn't have some bullshit warrior's mentality of "I Want My Opponent at their very best so I'm Gonna Give them a fair shot in this fight"    so to say  Yeah Goku gets a pass because he's a space alien is total bullcrap

Superman is an alien.....yet he doesn't have some bullshit warrior's mentality of "I Want My Opponent at their very best so I'm Gonna Give them a fair shot in this fight"    so to say  Yeah Goku gets a pass because he's a space alien is total bullcrap

Yes but Superman's people were a civilized and mostly peaceful race, while Goku's race is a race of violent lunatics who commit genocide on a daily basis.

So when Goku does insane stuff it's chalked up to... well he's a Saiyan. Can't help it.

Another example. During the Buu saga.. Vegeta destroys the Potara earrings. Universe is on the line, he destroys them. Goku holds back because he wants Vegeta to get a chance to fight Buu... and runs out of power. They also refuse to fight Buu both at the same time.

And this is with the fate of every living thing in the Universe on the line.  They completely half ass it or pass up obvious ways to win just because.

I think Goku is just dense to be honest. I mean... I like him but there are sometimes if I wonder if he's autistic (no offense to autistic people) because he literally does not understand social queues. For instance (If you haven't watched the DB Super subs then probably shouldn't click this spoiler as I have no idea how far behind Toonami is):

Goku is going to train with Whis for the Multiverse Tournament and it is conveyed that Bulma is pregnant with Vegeta's second child. Goku asks Vegeta if he's coming with him to train, and hard ass Vegeta has to actually explain to him that he can not go with him because HIS WIFE IS ABOUT TO GIVE BIRTH, and Goku's response is "Well you're not pregnant she is!". Like really????? I mean let's put aside all of the vast quantity of dumb nonsensical things Goku has done, not even counting doing idealist heroic stuff like trying to make villains see the errors of their ways and always giving extra chances to those that don't deserve it, that has to take the cake on the dumbest of dialogue interactions in any anime ever. It's so dumb that even Vegeta is basically like I can't believe I have to explain this to you....

Also there is:

The numerous interactions with Zen-Oh, that show Goku has absolutely no concept of the dangerous and extremely powerful nature of the being he's talking to, which is probably why Zen-Oh likes him, because he is apparently the most innocent and child like character in all of existence. Goku does countless dangerous things in playing with a being described as being able to "delete the universe" multiple times, including encouraging the creation of multiverse tournament in which multiple universes are in peril of being completely deleted if they lose. And yet he seems to think this is ok, as long as he gets to fight. Again the whole "does not understand social queues" thing is a bit of an understatement here. There is having no fear and then there is not being aware of things that are dangerous in the first place. I strongly believe Goku is the later.

Vegeta doesn't even have that mentality and he's the same species as Goku, Vegeta's mentality seems to be "kill your enemy fast so they cannot kill you or anyone you care about"

Well that and the whole Saiyan honor thing, he seems to believe that might should be displayed in full force at all times without mercy, because that's the way his people are raised. I think he would have been more noble even if he was all Klingon about everything still, had he not been abducted as a boy and had his father murdered in front of him by an intergalactic warlord. It's the kind of thing that tends to give you serious emotional and rage issues it seems.

Vegeta doesn't even have that mentality and he's the same species as Goku, Vegeta's mentality seems to be "kill your enemy fast so they cannot kill you or anyone you care about"

Um, this is literally exactly what Vegeta did with Cell, i.e. "imma let my enemy power up to his Perfect Form just so I can then proceed to get my ass handed to me in ten seconds."  DBZ has any number of pants-on-head stupid moments in it, but that one just about takes the cake.