UnevenEdge

Global anime consumption has doubled since 2017 and supply has not kept up with demand

Jman

I think expectations ride high on what airs on a season-by-season basis. Out of all the anime that comes out per season, only a couple are kind of anime that could become universally beloved for mass consumption.

The sports, isekai, CGDCT, and children’s anime that come out might not be the next AoT or JJK, but hoping for twice the amount of anime on the off-chance of getting a couple more AoT/JJK-caliber anime per season is a pretty insane demand for an overworked and underfunded industry. 

I wish anime companies would try to market older shows that still hold up today just to try and lessen the burden and focus efforts on creating good shows at a tolerable pace. Inundating the market with a shit load of bad quality shows with a few gems to keep up with demand isn't sustainable. And good animators are stretched thin to the point that newer seasons of some hit series are looking like crap.

The whole "supply hasn't kept up with demand" statement makes zero sense to me. Anime isn't a tangible consumable good that can have supply shortages in the first place. Any single production can be watched by an infinite number of people without consequence.

And yeah, the anime industry needs to increase output like it needs a hole in the head. Pretty much every studio is stretched to the breaking point, and we've seen more and more productions completely fall apart as a result. What's really needed is a contraction, coupled with legitimate revenue-sharing so that animators aren't literally starving themselves to do what they love.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

The whole "supply hasn't kept up with demand" statement makes zero sense to me. Anime isn't a tangible consumable good that can have supply shortages in the first place. Any single production can be watched by an infinite number of people without consequence.

And yeah, the anime industry needs to increase output like it needs a hole in the head. Pretty much every studio is stretched to the breaking point, and we've seen more and more productions completely fall apart as a result. What's really needed is a contraction, coupled with legitimate revenue-sharing so that animators aren't literally starving themselves to do what they love.

... while it doesn't affect every anime, the COVID pandemic has severely cut down on the amount of anime coming out last year. Some were canceled, others postponed. Hell KyoAni had to quit making TV series for two whole years because their main studio was lit on fire an tons of staff died. It is POSSIBLE for some anime to not come out for whatever reason. So anime isn't tangile but it IS a consumable good! It is produced, traded in exchange for currency, and it depends on peoples' interest in it to be made.

I agree that we don't need more anime. We need HALF of the anime out now, and people have to accept that.