UnevenEdge

toonami's status/lineup the rest of 2020

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

I hope not. DeMarco said they still have great surprises coming this year.

Do you really believe him though? i mean no network has really managed to salvage this situation caused by the pandemic(especially not the major ones)

so it seems unlikely toonami would do any better...

47 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Shippuden will always be in premieres, though I'll admit a 3-hour block of reruns back-to-back followed by one premiere would be beyond bizarre (no pun intended).

And you have to think at some point we'll get Food Wars and the like back.

it all depends on how the covid-19 pandemic progresses in japan.....

nobody's really confident things will be back to normal until a vaccine comes out(which would be a long time from now.....so if toonami has to stall until then...well toonami is screwed)

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Do you really believe him though? i mean no network has really managed to salvage this situation caused by the pandemic(especially not the major ones)

so it seems unlikely toonami would do any better...

He's told the truth before.

10 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

do you think we'll eventually reach a point where it's entirely reruns or do you think it won't get that bad?

I doubt it will drop below 3 premieres. They’d probably maintain 4 if not for MHA’s production issues. They can hold off on replacing MHA until July due to rerunning 84-86.

JoJo ends in August and Clover could run out of episodes by September. I’m sure one or both can be replaced by block premieres by then.

As I said in a prior thread, I figure they are spreading out their budget this year so that they don’t end up with mostly reruns by September. 4 premieres now and 4 later is better than 6 now and 2 later.

• Like 1

They have resumed dubbing on Black Clover and they're only eight episodes behind the sub. Once they get MHA finished, which definitely seems like their top priority and should be in about three weeks if they keep up their current pattern, they'll have more resources available and BC will probably come out faster.

I definitely think Mob 2's on the horizon. I'd like to see Jojo get a full rerun from the beginning, because I think we all need more Speedwagon in our lives.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

I doubt it will drop below 3 premieres. They’d probably maintain 4 if not for MHA’s production issues. They can hold off on replacing MHA until July due to rerunning 84-86.

JoJo ends in August and Clover could run out of episodes by September. I’m sure one or both can be replaced by block premieres by then.

As I said in a prior thread, I figure they are spreading out their budget this year so that they don’t end up with mostly reruns by September. 4 premieres now and 4 later is better than 6 now and 2 later.

don't doubt anything....this is 2020   you gotta remember that

the world isn't normal...not even close to it

i think what many people don't realize is that this isn't just a minor nuisance that will fade away

it's here and it's gonna be here for the long haul

we just have to figure some way to co-exist with this virus in a safe manner

Edited by CountFrylock

On 5/20/2020 at 7:36 PM, Sketch said:

As things currently stand, we would get episode 87 on 6/13 and 88 on 6/20, which means we would then still need a 30-minute filler on 6/27. That could mean either sheepishly rerunning MHA #88, or perhaps a mega-cut of The Forge. I will be shocked if Toonami doesn't do a marathon on the 4th of July, when it ends up on a Saturday, but they may not this year. If they learn from 2019, they'll still do one then but not Memorial Day (they're not) or Labor Day Weekends since the ratings both of those weeks were decent last year. But the regular lineup on July 6th, despite having the premieres of Gundam The Origin and Food Wars, stunk to high heaven, so a marathon on July 4th seems academic to me.

12 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

As things currently stand, we would get episode 87 on 6/13 and 88 on 6/20, which means we would then still need a 30-minute filler on 6/27. That could mean either sheepishly rerunning MHA #88, or perhaps a mega-cut of The Forge. I will be shocked if Toonami doesn't do a marathon on the 4th of July, when it ends up on a Saturday, but they may not this year. If they learn from 2019, they'll still do one then but not Memorial Day (they're not) or Labor Day Weekends since the ratings both of those weeks were decent last year. But the regular lineup on July 6th, despite having the premieres of Gundam The Origin and Food Wars, stunk to high heaven, so a marathon on July 4th seems academic to me.

Honestly, what I'm surprised by is that the Toonami crew never thought of a more creative replacement than "UHHH--UHH---J-J-JUSTRERUNTHEPASTEPISODETH!!!!" They could've reaired past TIEs. They could've picked up an old action show from before Toonami was canceled. They could've got another movie on the cheap like they did with Mind Game.

2 hours ago, elfie said:

Honestly, what I'm surprised by is that the Toonami crew never thought of a more creative replacement than "UHHH--UHH---J-J-JUSTRERUNTHEPASTEPISODETH!!!!" They could've reaired past TIEs. They could've picked up an old action show from before Toonami was canceled. They could've got another movie on the cheap like they did with Mind Game.

...they had literally days' notice on a few of these episodes not being ready, and probably no discretionary budget to grab something unplanned out of the blue.  The fuck do you want them to do?

• Like 2

The situation is literally unprecedented.  

Most of these studios, if all goes well, should be back to work by July, since that’s the best case scenario to reopen and put in proper tools and protocols for social distancing.  The problem is of course, filling the time with Toonami’s cut budget.  That means older shows since asking Crunchyroll for stuff is right out as per DeMarco.  They also can’t upheave the production process like Netflix does and go “Well, we want someone to make a Gigant anime.”  (Not to mention Gigant wouldn’t get past standards anyway).

Expect to see the old standbys and maybe older stuff like PA.  

20 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

...they had literally days' notice on a few of these episodes not being ready, and probably no discretionary budget to grab something unplanned out of the blue.  The fuck do you want them to do?

Replaying gen:LOCK would be a start, especially since now they could probably run it uncut at the back of the block!

Then again, maybe the fact that 3 reruns are leading the block right now is just a testament to how topsy-turvy 2020 really is??

• Like 1

The thing is, until sports return en masse Toonami will be able to skate by on reruns. This should take them to a point where they can reasonably begin to reintroduce the new content they have lined up; shows such as Dr. Stone, Fire Force, MHA, Blade Runner (later on obviously) and any other popular pick-ups they might get. (Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer etc.)

The budget cuts are not necessarily indicative of performance, but rather a reflection of the overall direction of ATT. ATT doesn't see anime as anything beyond a niche market, hence the reduced budget.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ginguy said:

The thing is, until sports return en masse Toonami will be able to skate by on reruns. This should take them to a point where they can reasonably begin to reintroduce the new content they have lined up; shows such as Dr. Stone, Fire Force, MHA, Blade Runner (later on obviously) and any other popular pick-ups they might get. (Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer etc.)

The budget cuts are not necessarily indicative of performance, but rather a reflection of the overall direction of ATT. ATT doesn't see anime as anything beyond a niche market, hence the reduced budget.

i really wish companies like that would quit thinking anime's just for losers and weirodo's who have no life whatsoever

9 hours ago, Ginguy said:

More specifically, they’re already investing their anime money in Crunchyroll.  Toonami feels like a third wheel.

This is admittedly why I worry that the higher ups may make Toonami an extension of CR.

I agree with the sentiment that Toonami won't go into straight rerun mode.  They will have premieres, though I think the question is what kind of premieres they'll have.  If they want to conserve budget, then I'll bet we're gonna some more low key shows as the year goes on, or at least shows that haven't aired on Adult Swim before.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

with no update on the progress of the last two episodes of S4 for MHA....what will toonami do if funimation has not made any progress by next week?

they surely can't repeat the gentle criminal battle again....

Rerunning it a third week would definitely be a gentle crime.