UnevenEdge

Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion

17 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wrong. This is it for the cour. If there was one more episode, they wouldn't be going on hiatus!

You're thinking of Food Wars. That inexplicably only has one episode left in The Second Plate!

Oh you are right.  I misread the episode list.

But this wasn't supposed to be a mid-season finale as this hiatus wasn't intended.  One of the guys on the production team was having mental issues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

well, i did always like sinon

Yeah

Was good having Kirito gone being a vegetable all season so far, made it more enjoyable. Sucked having Asuna being an ineffective placebo (she got nothing done in the real world aside from finding Kirito and has been weak in the virtual) but even more so how stupid, easily, and pathetically Alice got captured despite being the MC of this arc. Reki gave her little respect against her opponent compared to the shit he'd let Kirito pull off.

Edited by DangerMouse

LOL he has a grudge against Asuna.  And Kirito too apparently.  Going to use his SAO account?

But who was this guy in SAO?  It's not the other Death Gun as he looks nothing like him.  And that guy said he was the last of Laughing Coffin guild.  I suppose he could have been wrong.

Just now, ben0119 said:

What do you mean?  Sinon and Suguha logged in at that other facility on the mainland.

I presume he's going for another machine in the base. Like the second one near Kirito that Asuna used. I thought stuff like that was locked down when they locked the lab to keep the soldiers out.

11 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Very american though to think that PC outcry culture affects Japan. It's funny how brainwashed people are with that shit. Like the American anime market is nothing compared to japan, and people for some reason think that we're a huge fanbase. I think it's because companies like Funimation have tired to sell the idea that we actually support the anime industry. A few years back I did an ass ton of math and the world excluding japan only makes up like 8% of all anime related sales. The other 92% is all Japanese, america is something like 2 point something percent from what I remember. Our opinions matter not. 

yes, we already know you're an idiot.

8 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Very american though to think that PC outcry culture affects Japan. It's funny how brainwashed people are with that shit. Like the American anime market is nothing compared to japan, and people for some reason think that we're a huge fanbase. I think it's because companies like Funimation have tired to sell the idea that we actually support the anime industry. A few years back I did an ass ton of math and the world excluding japan only makes up like 8% of all anime related sales. The other 92% is all Japanese, america is something like 2 point something percent from what I remember. Our opinions matter not. 

I don't know if those figures are correct, no time to look them up now, but they will take extra money if they can get it, however very little.

Anyway, Reki did say he would change things after feedback he received from American fans.  But none of those effects would be seen until after this arc.  This was written years ago.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-21/sword-art-online-author-reki-kawahara-says-female-characters-should-not-be-treated-as-trophies/.142337

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

I presume he's going for another machine in the base. Like the second one near Kirito that Asuna used. I thought stuff like that was locked down when they locked the lab to keep the soldiers out.

He's using his old SAO account probably.  I didn't get the idea he needed another machine for it.

Just now, ben0119 said:

I don't know if those figures are correct, no time to look them up now, but they will take extra money if they can get it, however very little.

Anyway, Reki did say he would change things after feedback he received from American fans.  But none of those effects would be seen until after this arc.  This was written years ago.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-21/sword-art-online-author-reki-kawahara-says-female-characters-should-not-be-treated-as-trophies/.142337

I'm aware....we'll see if that holds true eventually but....this arc is leaving a hideously bitter taste in my mouth

12 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

He's using his old SAO account probably.  I didn't get the idea he needed another machine for it.

Oh okay I thought he was smirking because he was going for one of those machines instead of whatever regular device they've been using.

Edited by DangerMouse

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

The lions share of money comes from localization companies licensing the shows from Japan. From all the localization deals it pretty much just covers the production cost of the series. All profit sales are within the country bought by Japanese. As well anime is far more expensive in Japan. I posted a load of examples back then of box sets over there being $300 for 12 episodes is pretty normal. I also used DBS as a reference. Judging by how Japan sells only a few episodes at a time rather than box sets like we do over here, it would have been over $4k usd had they bought every episode at the time of release and we weren't even into the tournament of power yet. Anime is just insanely expensive in Japan that it offsets sales in other countries by a gross margin. As well when you buy anime from a western distributor you aren't giving money to the Japanese anime industry "directly". You're paying companies like Funimation who used that money to pay themselves and buy new series. So you're more supporting the western dubbing and distribution industry than the animation studios.  

A lot of those questions that Mangaka get will usually be answered with the least confrontational answer. There are only a few I know who outright said read/play something else if you don't like it. Hell the creator of One Punch Man caught shit in Japan for being overly rude by saying that "Everyone worked hard on season 2, but not everything was how I'd have envisioned it". This caught so much shit in japan, and people were saying that he's now difficult to work with etc. A lot of fans backed him up though because the animation staff was sub-par compared to season 1. Though saying something like that which in the west would  be closer to a constructive compliment, was viewed as the worst words uttered by man. This just shows that the Japanese have a very different way of wording things in interviews as to not rock the boat. If the creator of SAO is asked if he thinks women are trophies and likes rape, do you think they're going to just be like "Yes, I thought that was obvious. I was quite clear in my story didn't you even read it". No he's going to just say whatever won't cause conflict. 

22 minutes ago, mochi said:

I'm aware....we'll see if that holds true eventually but....this arc is leaving a hideously bitter taste in my mouth

Why? I don't even think there has been a rape in the series yet. There were some attempted rapes but nobody has gotten raped. The only problem I can find with it is that the mangaka is super limited in how to express evil in their mind. Like everyone just to try and show how evil they are is to just make them a sexual deviant rapist. It's like okay this guy has killed a bunch of people or is a bully, needs a little something else...Oh I know they also rape, brilliant!  Rinse and repeat every arc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Why? I don't even think there has been a rape in the series yet. There were some attempted rapes but nobody has gotten raped. The only problem I can find with it is that the mangaka is super limited in how to express evil in their mind. Like everyone just to try and show how evil they are is to just make them a sexual deviant rapist. It's like okay this guy has killed a bunch of people or is a bully, needs a little something else...Oh I know they also rape, brilliant!  Rinse and repeat every arc. 

IT RAPED MY SENSE OF PLOT COHERENCE AND VIOLATED MY BODY WITH POOR WRITING.

28 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I mean so far all it did was trade rape for racism

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The lions share of money comes from localization companies licensing the shows from Japan. From all the localization deals it pretty much just covers the production cost of the series. All profit sales are within the country bought by Japanese. As well anime is far more expensive in Japan. I posted a load of examples back then of box sets over there being $300 for 12 episodes is pretty normal. I also used DBS as a reference. Judging by how Japan sells only a few episodes at a time rather than box sets like we do over here, it would have been over $4k usd had they bought every episode at the time of release and we weren't even into the tournament of power yet. Anime is just insanely expensive in Japan that it offsets sales in other countries by a gross margin. As well when you buy anime from a western distributor you aren't giving money to the Japanese anime industry "directly". You're paying companies like Funimation who used that money to pay themselves and buy new series. So you're more supporting the western dubbing and distribution industry than the animation studios.  

A lot of those questions that Mangaka get will usually be answered with the least confrontational answer. There are only a few I know who outright said read/play something else if you don't like it. Hell the creator of One Punch Man caught shit in Japan for being overly rude by saying that "Everyone worked hard on season 2, but not everything was how I'd have envisioned it". This caught so much shit in japan, and people were saying that he's now difficult to work with etc. A lot of fans backed him up though because the animation staff was sub-par compared to season 1. Though saying something like that which in the west would  be closer to a constructive compliment, was viewed as the worst words uttered by man. This just shows that the Japanese have a very different way of wording things in interviews as to not rock the boat. If the creator of SAO is asked if he thinks women are trophies and likes rape, do you think they're going to just be like "Yes, I thought that was obvious. I was quite clear in my story didn't you even read it". No he's going to just say whatever won't cause conflict. 

I don't get the idea of pricing it so high.  They would have more sales from selling more copies at a lower price than a few copies at a high price.  I guess Aniplex must be using the Japanese pricing model for their releases.  Hmm from what I understand original creators would get royalties from those sales.  And the Japanese companies did try to combat piracy in the past with that website and initiative they started a few years ago.  Can't remember what it was called or if it's still going.

Oda told people to read another manga if they wanted romance stories and I don't recall him getting any flak for that.

It made me think of how extremely nice and diplomatic Yuji Naka and some of the Sega guys were about criticizing the original Sonic design for the movie. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/12/13/the-original-creators-behind-sonic-the-hedgehog-react-to-the-new-live-action-movie-reveal/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/11/13/yuji-naka-gives-his-take-on-the-new-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-redesign/

That said, according to people following the current SAO arc in the novels -

Spoiler

He is giving some of the girls other things to do, like on their own adventures while the main stuff is going on. 

So it seems he meant what he said.

Anyway I think the way the women have been dealt with isn't nearly as bad as some have said.  But more screen time and adventures won't hurt.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh you are right.  I misread the episode list.

But this wasn't supposed to be a mid-season finale as this hiatus wasn't intended.  One of the guys on the production team was having mental issues.

Oh, that's how it went down?

Well, I guess this is one show that probably won't be affected much by the pandemic if we do indeed get to the other side by July...

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Oh, that's how it went down?

Well, I guess this is one show that probably won't be affected much by the pandemic if we do indeed get to the other side by July...

I detailed it in this thread.  The compositing director, an integral position, was having issues with depression.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-03/sword-art-online-alicization-war-of-underworld-anime-2nd-part-english-subtitled-trailer-streamed/.158280

Yup the last cour is still coming out later this month, just as they initially announced when the delay was announced.  So I guess production mostly wrapped before coronavirus hit Japan.

I have no idea what will happen with the dub or Toonami's airing, though.

4 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

y'know, creator, we only hate the OP when you give it to Kirito or to guys...when you give it to women, it's pretty cool....but no, i guess you're not ready for that...

Yup.

She's basically been out of the breath after a couple of moves the whole time so far.

Edited by DangerMouse

4 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

y'know, creator, we only hate the OP when you give it to Kirito or to guys...when you give it to women, it's pretty cool....but no, i guess you're not ready for that...

But if Asuna was able to use that power endlessly there would be no challenge in defeating Gabriel.  It's a literally a god power that lets her reshape the landscape (and heal her severed arm apparently.)

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I don't get the idea of pricing it so high.  They would have more sales from selling more copies at a lower price than a few copies at a high price.  I guess Aniplex must be using the Japanese pricing model for their releases.  Hmm from what I understand original creators would get royalties from those sales.  And the Japanese companies did try to combat piracy in the past with that website and initiative they started a few years ago.  Can't remember what it was called or if it's still going.

Oda told people to read another manga if they wanted romance stories and I don't recall him getting any flak for that.

It made me think of how extremely nice and diplomatic Yuji Naka and some of the Sega guys were about criticizing the original Sonic design for the movie. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/12/13/the-original-creators-behind-sonic-the-hedgehog-react-to-the-new-live-action-movie-reveal/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/11/13/yuji-naka-gives-his-take-on-the-new-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-redesign/

That said, according to people following the current SAO arc in the novels -

Reveal hidden contents

He is giving some of the girls other things to do, like on their own adventures while the main stuff is going on. 

So it seems he meant what he said.

Anyway I think the way the women have been dealt with isn't nearly as bad as some have said.  But more screen time and adventures won't hurt.

The thing is that otaku in Japan are addicts and will pay these prices so they have no reason to drop them. A lot of the way Japanese shop is similar to the K-Mart blue light special craze in the 90s. Things are usually sold in limited quantity and have an odd tradition about that process making getting an item more self validating. Like even fruit in Japan can be like this. They have stores that will sell apples graded like we'd grade a steak. I couldn't imagine paying $20 usd for a single apple, but enough Japanese pay for it to make it a viable market.  

As for Oda, I've come to realize that he's Oda and kinda gets his own set of privilege that come with it.  Editors and Jump seem to bend over backwards for Oda. Though mangaka like Kubo seem to have butted heads with his editors the whole time. Toriyama probable has the oddest relationship with his editors. Just about everything an editor tells him to do, he'll do something else to spite them; then he'll have regret. Editor told him to have Bulma end up with Goku, he had him end up with Chichi out of spite and hated writing for her so he regretted it. Editors keep telling him to use vegeta more because fans like vegeta, so he kills vegeta. The only regret he said he feels on that though is all the letters he gets from fans until he brings vegeta back to life. Pretty much all the androids were made because the editor didn't like any of them except for Cell, and Toriyama didn't like cell because he had too many shapes to draw and shade.