UnevenEdge

Comic writer Gail Simone says that X-Men was shounen manga before shounen was a thing and that My Hero Academia has replaced X-Men for the average consumer

Jman

Gail Simone is a...mostly well respected writer even if people view a lot of her habits as why people left comics, but she has a pretty long list of stuff here.  Given my own comparisons of MHA and X-Men I thought her argument was worth reading -

Her points boil down to the following -

1.  X-Men stuff dwarfed sales of everything else back in the 80’s and 90’s, making it the big Shounen of those time periods.  Complete with animated adaptation!

2.  Many of the traits of classic X-Men runs are found in shounen manga.

3.  Marvel de-emphasizing the mutants after the rights were sold to Fox for movies and the comics spiraling into irrelevance led to people picking up manga to replace the X-shaped hole in their reading.

4.  Numerous MHA characters could be X-Men characters with little to no changes.

She does encourage people to look at the current X-Men runs, which...

8 minutes ago, Daos said:

I read some semi recent X-men stuff. It's just a bunch of convoluted crap and will never be popular again.

Until they do a reboot and make actual good movies. No more Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix style screw ups.

This here.

Marvel has successfully destroyed their comics over the past decade. The sales for all their comics were garbage, the X-Men comics supposedly were the only ones that were able to stand above the others, but even that was degraded. My absolute favorite thing is how they handled the infamous love triangle with Logan, Jean, and Scott by having them be a polyamorous couple. Although not sure if they expanded on just how cucked Scott is, if it's a thing where all three of them are fucking each other, or if Logan is the one boning Jean while Scott sits off to the side and waits for his turn.

One thing that's really boosting MHA's standing above X-Men is the fact that the series creator isn't bowing down to twitter puritans, there being a lot of twitter meltdowns over things like Bubble Girl getting tickled, or that one girl in the big 3 having bigger boobs than in the manga, and then there's the outrage of that one doctor having a name referencing those gruesome govt experiments (the way I see it though is considering what the character does I find it fitting). All of that stuff, and more; and not once has the creator bent over to the twitter puritans.

In comparison to making X-Men comics as diverse and inclusive as possible (even though the funny part is X-Men has always been the most inclusive Marvel comic, modern day Marvel turning it to 11 by changing pre-existing characters races/sexual orientation/etc)

Edited by I am the Senate

8 hours ago, Jman said:

Gail Simone is a...mostly well respected writer even if people view a lot of her habits as why people left comics, but she has a pretty long list of stuff here.  Given my own comparisons of MHA and X-Men I thought her argument was worth reading -

Her points boil down to the following -

1.  X-Men stuff dwarfed sales of everything else back in the 80’s and 90’s, making it the big Shounen of those time periods.  Complete with animated adaptation!

2.  Many of the traits of classic X-Men runs are found in shounen manga.

3.  Marvel de-emphasizing the mutants after the rights were sold to Fox for movies and the comics spiraling into irrelevance led to people picking up manga to replace the X-shaped hole in their reading.

4.  Numerous MHA characters could be X-Men characters with little to no changes.

She does encourage people to look at the current X-Men runs, which...

She ain't wrong. I've seen many discussions like this before about shounen manga once it started whooping regular comics' asses, but MHA really did nail the tropes that both fans of X-Men and shounen were asking for. The big American companies never learn though. They only want shitty stories with barely any creativity to them, I've heard they're a nightmare to work for unless you're in one of their little boys' clubs that have problems with sexual harassment/racism, and they ignore so much awesome talent who said fuck them and made bank publishing their own comics. And as for that nonsense under your post, those sorry attempts at being more inclusive were bullshit usually written by white dudes who didn't respect women or ever spoke to any minorities, and that showed in their work. That's why when people want more inclusive stories, the requests are from a top-down level which means writers, artists, and editors. Which again, the big companies just don't get and put out weird ass failures that are just insulting.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, I am the Senate said:

and then there's the outrage of that one doctor having a name referencing those gruesome govt experiments (the way I see it though is considering what the character does I find it fitting). All of that stuff, and more; and not once has the creator bent over to the twitter puritans.

...You mean the name that he publicly apologized for using, and immediately changed to something different that fit his intentions for the character without referencing horrific war crimes? What the fuck are you even talking about?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Daos said:

I read some semi recent X-men stuff. It's just a bunch of convoluted crap and will never be popular again.

Until they do a reboot and make actual good movies. No more Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix style screw ups.

Western comics have become such a convoluted embarrassing disaster that rumors spark up every now and then of Disney and WB saying “fuck it” and killing the comic producers. It cannot be overstated how popular X-Men was, and how Marvel pissed all that goodwill down the toilet because Fox had the movie rights.

In another universe, this is airing on Toonami -

Until a reckoning occurs in how Western comics are fundamentally consumed (aka no one is going to pay $5 for 22 pages tied to a hilariously convoluted ongoing universe) people will continue to go to manga like My Hero Academia for the stories X-Men, New Mutants, etc used to provide to kids who would spend a buck-$1.25 on them coming home from school when they got a drink from the 7-11.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i like the new x-men comics. hickman's run is really great.

plus, MHA doesn't really address the discrimination theme that was at the heart of the X-Men. it' more like a comic set in the world the X-Men are wishing for. like if house of M never ended.

Totally different world. Mutants are what... 1 in 10k? People without quirks are like 1 in 5. The only people who would be discriminated against are the quirkless.

Plus, I don't think X-men ever made the case against discriminating against Mutants. A lot of them were psychotic aholes walking around with the powers of a WMD. This is something people are going to want to keep tabs on.

Tokyo Ghoul tried to do an X-men style discrimination thing but failed horribly.