UnevenEdge

The UnevenEdge Book Challenge!...

Because why the hell not. :D:D:D

This thread is the bastard love child of a thread in FFA on reading more in 2020 and keeping track and all that fun stuff.

To participate : 

1. Just say how many books you plan on trying to read this year. You can always decide to add more [ or reduce your goal if crap happens ] as the year goes on, no fears. The point is you set your goal and try to reach it. 

2. Update the thread whenever with what you've finished reading. You don't need to update it every day or even after every book finished. It's when you have the time to do so. Please list the book title and author of the book[ s ] you've finished when you do update though. That way if you've read something that someone else thinks sounds interesting they'll have enough info to hunt it down themselves. You never know when someone will post something interesting that you didn't know existed.

3. No summary is needed unless you feel like it. This is mainly a 'list' thread vaguely on par with those 'What Are You Listening To' threads. It's for the users to have fun. 

5. You are responsible for keeping track of whether you've met your personal challenge. :D I'm not counting! Totally not it on this! :D

Discuss!...

• Like 1

100 is my goal for the year as well. Yes manga counts and there's probably going to be a lot of it for me <_<

1. Assassination Classroom 1 - Yusei Matsui
  2. Animal Farm - George Orwell
  3. My Hero Academia: School Briefs, Vol. 1 - Anri Yoshi
  4. Assassination Classroom 2 - Yusei Matsui
  5. Assassination Classroom 3 - Yusei Matsui
  6. Assassination Classroom 4 - Yusei Matsui
  7. Assassination Classroom 5 - Yusei Matsui
  8. Assassination Classroom 6 - Yusei Matsui
  9. Assassination Classroom 7 - Yusei Matsui
  10. My Hero Academia 21 - Kohei Horikoshi
  11. My Hero Academia 22 - Kohei Horikoshi
  12. My Hero Academia: Vigilantes 1 - Hideyuki Furuhashi
  13. My Hero Academia: Vigilantes 2 - Hideyuki Furuhashi
  14. Stupid Perfect World - Scott Westerfeld
  15. Again, but Better - Christine Riccio (I kind of regret choosing to read this one tbh. I breezed through it but only so I could just be done with it and spend more time reading something that's actually good)
  16. Assassination Classroom 8 - Yusei Matsui
  17. Assassination Classroom 9 - Yusei Matsui
  18. My Hero Academia: Vigilantes 3 - Hideyuki Furuhashi
  19. Assassination Classroom 10 - Yusei Matsui
  20. My Hero Academia: Vigilantes 4 - Hideyuki Furuhashi
  21. My Hero Academia 23 - Kohei Horikoshi
  22. Just Breathe - Cammie McGovern
  23. One of Us is Lying - Karen McManus
  24. 1984 - George Orwell
  25. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
  26. Assassination Classroom 11 - Yusei Matsui

74 to go

Edited by Athena 92
  • Like 1

i average at least 3 manga/week, more time reading on one depending on the story of said manga. light novels are a different beast since those can take days to read through. so, at least 150 by the end of the year is my goal.

currently reading The Quintessential Quintuplets vol. 5, next up is vol. 6.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Satou Kazuma said:

does manga/graphic novels count?

Yes. :)

They are books after all! :D Plus, sometimes people only have enough time for something light and fun due to things outside their control like work schedules. So yep, they count and this is like Athena said, for funs for the board folks. :)

2 minutes ago, mthor said:

I'm in, and 100 sounds good.

1) I, Claudius by Robert Graves (annual re-read - do I get to count that?)

Yes, re-reads count as long as you aren't re-reading the same book over and over and over again for the entire year. :D WE ARE NOT MONKS! But re-reading a book that you read last year counts because it's a new year. 

Hell, I have a number of Heralds of Valdemar novels on the re-read pile and Harry Potter is probably going to make an appearance again if I can remember which locker I put the set in. :D

17 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Yes, re-reads count as long as you aren't re-reading the same book over and over and over again for the entire year. :D WE ARE NOT MONKS! But re-reading a book that you read last year counts because it's a new year. 

Hell, I have a number of Heralds of Valdemar novels on the re-read pile and Harry Potter is probably going to make an appearance again if I can remember which locker I put the set in. :D

Oh, good - I re-read that and Claudius the God every winter. Kind of like a visit to and old friend; the really fun thing is that, in my head, Claudius' voice isn't Derek Jacobi, it's Terry Jones (or some years, Graham Chapman) in drag.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

:D

No. :| Request denied! >:(:P:D 

There are too many people who watch episodes of anime in Japanese with the English subtitles going. 

Nice try though. :D 

I would have cleared thousands......TENS OF THOUSANDS...........MILLIONS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

finished vol. 6 of The Quintessential Quintuplets. i currently have vol.4 and 5 of High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World! in my backpack, but i've already read these a few months ago. so, this weekend is a trip down to MoA's Barnes & Noble to pick up something new to read. and i should really take pics of my overflowing collection of manga, running out of space just to put them.

9 hours ago, Fortnite Guy Keanu Reeves said:

There's only one book worth reading.

Enlighten yourselves, mother fuckers.

bible6.jpg

The Old Testament was a good read (minus Leviticus and Deuteronomy, of course, although even they have their interesting points). Lots of murder, pillage, politics, betrayal, and treachery presided over by a god with more than a touch of narcissism. You can keep the New Testament - bunch of spin built around a guy who, if he actually existed, was just another Jewish dissident in a time that was rife with dissidents and messiahs.

2 hours ago, mthor said:

The Old Testament was a good read (minus Leviticus and Deuteronomy, of course, although even they have their interesting points). Lots of murder, pillage, politics, betrayal, and treachery presided over by a god with more than a touch of narcissism. You can keep the New Testament - bunch of spin built around a guy who, if he actually existed, was just another Jewish dissident in a time that was rife with dissidents and messiahs.

I do think Jesus was probably a real person, supposedly they found his grave or something, although if that is the case you'd wonder if that means they have a DNA sample. 

That said though I don't think he's magical and all that. If anything he was a normal human but had the same impact as Buddha in terms of being a cultural impact. 

my haul from two weeks ago:

- Himouto! Umaru-chan vol. 8 *done*

- Kaguya-sama Love is War vol. 12 *done*

- Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! vol. 2 *done*

- My Room is a Dungeon Rest Stop vol. 1 *done*

- Bakemonogatari (manga version) vol. 1 *in process of reading*

current count: 10 books already read

• Like 2

Kaguya-sama Love is War vol. 13

Hayate the Combat Butler vol. 35

Komi Can't Communicate vol. 5

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level vol. 1

Ghostly Things vol. 1

After School Bitchcraft vol. 1

How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift? Vol. 1

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro vol. 2

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Vol. 15

How to Train Your Devil vol. 2

Bakemonogatari vol. 3

How Not To Summon A Demon Lord vol.5-6

So, I guess I've read over 50-ish books, by the pace I'm going, I'll reach my goal by the end of April.

Edited by Satou Kazuma
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Satou Kazuma said:

So, I guess I've read over 50-ish books, by the pace I'm going, I'll reach my goal by the end of April.

That's one of the reasons I try to space out my manga reading by alternating with other books. I could blow through 100 mangas in a month easily but then I'd have all these other books staring at me sadly because I ignored them. :D 

6 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

That's one of the reasons I try to space out my manga reading by alternating with other books. I could blow through 100 mangas in a month easily but then I'd have all these other books staring at me sadly because I ignored them. :D 

i've got a pile of light novels i haven't read, like 7-8 of them. and a stack of manga i borrowed from the library i haven't touched since i bought new ones.

Revolutionary Witchcraft - Sarah Lyons

Under the Moon : A Catwoman Tale - Lauren Myracle

Psychic Self-Improvement for the Millions - William Wolff

64 to go...

If quarantine happens...how many of us would end up burning through our entire year's reading goal at this point? :D:D:D *raises hand

Finished the first of the  3 comics in the book.

I read the novels based on the comics when I was a kid, forgot how much I disliked the canon they established before Prometheus.

Nothing against making the world a dystopian nightmare, but this is Aliens. If Earth is shit I don't care if it gets swarmed by aliens.

Espescially when the aliens were brought there by a psychic cult that never actually explained where they came from.

And the main plot, ugh. 

A few years after Aliens- "Hey, we found the aliens home planet! Let's go bomb it! Oh no, we're dying. Psych, we're robots. What? Earth's been infested? Oh no! Hey wait a minute, one of those squid-faced dudes that ran the derelict space ship in the first movie. He'll save us!"

I don't recall what the next one is about, but I seem to recall it was better.

• Haha 1