UnevenEdge

Lupin the 3rd OVA: 'Is Lupin Still Burning?' Discussion

3ngag3

3 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

worth it for the final lupin fun, at least until they make more

Is all of the old Lupin dubbed, or even available to watch stateside?  The completionist in me makes me wants to go back to it, if I get the chance and the spare time.  And apparently Adult Swim did not even air all of the Part 2 series?

aside from its brilliant portrayal of alien beings and an alien ecosystem, scavengers really gets me because it makes me think of the sheer amount of observation, trial and error it would have taken fr these two humans to orchestrate this  event and bring about the desired conclusion. and that being just a few seconds of consciousness on earth with their fellow humans. and even after having seen it three times, i'm just now noticing that the progress is cyclical. that the final piece of the puzzle is the first piece of the next puzzle.

• Like 2

Just now, ben0119 said:

Is all of the old Lupin dubbed, or even available to watch stateside?  The completionist in me makes me wants to go back to it, if I get the chance and the spare time.  And apparently Adult Swim did not even air all of the Part 2 series?

Stateside the entire Part 1 series is on dvd and all of the Part 2 series is in process of being released in dvd box sets (It may already be completely released, which was well over 100 episodes for Part 2)

I think Part 3 had also already been put on dvd

No idea if it's all on a streaming site or not

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

Stateside the entire Part 1 series is on dvd and all of the Part 2 series is in process of being released in dvd box sets (It may already be completely released, which was well over 100 episodes for Part 2)

i could be mistakn, but i believe part 3 is on hulu

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

This is probably the full list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_the_Third#Anime_series

Don't think part 1 ever got dubbed.

A couple more of the OVAs recently got dubbed and released on blu-ray (and dvd?) by Discotek.

I know Discotek's been releasing Part II on DVD too recently.

Edit: Yeah, like CorbeauKarasu said, looks like HULU and VRV have the dub for Part II. Looks like they dubbed through ep 79. Though I've only seen what Toonami got through too.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

36 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i could be mistakn, but i believe part 3 is on hulu

27 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

This is probably the full list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_the_Third#Anime_series

Don't think part 1 ever got dubbed.

A couple more of the OVAs recently got dubbed and released on blu-ray (and dvd?) by Discotek.

I know Discotek's been releasing Part II on DVD too recently.

Edit: Yeah, like CorbeauKarasu said, looks like HULU and VRV have the dub for Part II. Looks like they dubbed through ep 79. Though I've only seen what Toonami got through too.

Oh ok, so everything but part 1 and past episode 79 of part 2 got dubbed of the actual series?  I looked into Lupin last week I think and a LOT of stuff has been made.  There's been a whole bunch of TV specials.  Also I think some of the movies and stuff use different dub VAs?

So only part 2 is on streaming out of the old shows?  I can look more later I guess.  But there sure is a lot of Lupin content out there!

16 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Oh ok, so everything but part 1 and past episode 79 of part 2 got dubbed of the actual series?  I looked into Lupin last week I think and a LOT of stuff has been made.  There's been a whole bunch of TV specials.  Also I think some of the movies and stuff use different dub VAs?

So only part 2 is on streaming out of the old shows?  I can look more later I guess.  But there sure is a lot of Lupin content out there!

You know what, it just hit me, I don't think we've ever gotten Part III in English at all? At least I don't think I've seen it anywhere.

So I guess main series dubbed we've got Part II (1-79), Part IV, and now Part V dubbed.

Also pretty sure some of the OVAs and Movies we're still missing (probably a bunch not even just subbed either) so far. But I don't know them all lol.

Looking at the wiki there's so much and I've mainly just seen ones that have made it onto Toonami, Fujiko Mine, Cogliostro, and a couple of the recent OVA releases that have started getting dubbed with this crew I'm guessing thanks to the success of Part IV on Toonami.

Like I'm pretty sure that the Lupin and Case Closed crossover movie(s?) haven't been dubbed.

Edited by DangerMouse

Familiar faces... I assume they are familiar to the characters and not the audience. Or these are from the old shows that I haven't seen.

Fujiko going to take the statue LOL.

Not much I love more in TV shows and movies but races. Wacky Races, That Peanuts race... Herbie goes to Monte Carlo. Good times and good memories.

Not a fan of the cars being cg, but they look better than most cg cars out there.

Yeah that Fiat would not be able to contend with that Shelby Cobra. Not sure what the other cars are.

Lol the other cars and this race did not last long.

Fujiko in that catsuit oh my god.

Well that statue was stolen easily... wait, it's a trap.

Oh so it's just tickling. More innocent than those pictures would suggest. Nope nevermind lmao. It may "just" be tickling, but that is a fetish, and it's going a bit beyond that after he pulled Fujiko's zipper down and "turned up the power."

Don't know who Mr. X or Mamo are either, or the guy who jumped into Lupin's car.

Mamo's voice is deep as fuck.

What did he do? Zap Lupin through the screen? So there's a drone or something?

Noticed his jacket change heh.

LOL ran over by Zenigata. But it looks like Zenigata went back in time too?

Oh yeah, this short with all the crazy animation. Looks like we go through every iteration of Tom, and some made up ones. The mecha one was pretty cool. Not sure if supposed to be a Gundam or Transformer. Tom looked like a Decepticon there to me.

Wow, spoil much with that bump, Demarco?

Green... that's more of a teal, but okay. Definitely not a "pure" green in any case.

Tongues now?! Also those aren't the MOST sensitive areas but okay.

Wrong hair color for Fujiko here?

I guess this part with Fujiko shooting Lupin because he killed that guy won't be explained at all.

Demented Space Man short. And I guess we have the REAL explanation for global warming here? :D

Things are a lot different. Assasin Goemon and Fujiko his partner. And hobo Jigen.

But they're still connected. :)

That wink from Fujiko. ❤️

Lupin is going to steal the time machine and steal his friends back?

Sent them to Jurassic era! :D

45 minute time slot but the credits rolled at 40? And then there was the Tom and Space Man shorts. Was this thing even longer than what would fit in a 30 minute block without those commercials and shorts, anyway?

Well, that is it for new content on Toonami until 2020!

On 12/15/2019 at 3:43 AM, DangerMouse said:

You know what, it just hit me, I don't think we've ever gotten Part III in English at all? At least I don't think I've seen it anywhere.

So I guess main series dubbed we've got Part II (1-79), Part IV, and now Part V dubbed.

Also pretty sure some of the OVAs and Movies we're still missing (probably a bunch not even just subbed either) so far. But I don't know them all lol.

Looking at the wiki there's so much and I've mainly just seen ones that have made it onto Toonami, Fujiko Mine, Cogliostro, and a couple of the recent OVA releases that have started getting dubbed with this crew I'm guessing thanks to the success of Part IV on Toonami.

Like I'm pretty sure that the Lupin and Case Closed crossover movie(s?) haven't been dubbed.

Yeah like I said there was a ton of content.  I'll have to look into all the localization status and availability of the Lupin stuff later at some point when I get the time.

All I've seen is what were on TV.  I was planning a Myazaki marathon for myself, and that would have included Castle of Cagliostro, but I haven't gotten around to it.  Also just seems wrong that the Ghibli stuff isn't on Disney Plus.

Yeah I heard 1-79 of Part II were dubbed but Adult Swim only showed the first 26 or something?  I remember it repeating a lot back then.  Also, I could be remembering wrong, but didn't that dub have some weirdness where the characters would reference modern pop culture stuff?  Or am I thinking of something else?  I always thought it was odd, because the show was obviously much older than the stuff the characters were referencing.

I wonder if they will ever go back and dub the old stuff.  I guess maybe Lupin isn't popular enough to justify it, or think people wouldn't want it due to their age.  Like that whole "too old" thing DeMarco would talk about with old shows not getting enough viewers.  Sort of like how people won't watch old movies because they're "before my time" or just because they're black and white, which is a shame.

But I'm really not sure how often old animes get dubbed years after the fact.  I know some shows will get re-dubs later on, but not so sure about ones that were never dubbed in the first place.

Edit - I looked around a little bit, on wikipedia, and the Lupin wikia.

https://lupin.fandom.com/wiki/Lupin_the_Third_Part_II

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_the_Third_Part_II

1-79 of Part II were only dubbed because Geneon went out of business.  And episode 3 "Hitler's Legacy" didn't get aired on TV.  And I was right about the modern pop culture references they put into the dub.  Also the current VA for Zenigata in the new shows is Doug Erholtz, whereas the Part II VA was Dan Lorge.  I didn't realize that.  It's been a while since I saw it but the voice sounds spot on to me.  It says on wikipedia that Lorge teaches acting now.  If that's accurate, maybe that's why he didn't return to the role.

It was released on DVD with all the existing dubbed episodes, but no more were dubbed.  Which is really odd because they put an interview with Richard Epcar on there, who was the dub director.

https://lupin.fandom.com/wiki/Lupin_the_Third_Part_III

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_III_Part_III

Part III sounds like it was a bit of an oddball.  They decided to make the art style more like the manga, then changed their minds.  It also has inconsistent tone according to this article.  The character designs also apparently change from episode to episode and even within an episode.  There's three sets of character designs.  I can find no real reason why the show was never dubbed in English, but maybe those reasons were part of it.

https://lupin.fandom.com/wiki/Lupin_the_Third_Part_I

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_the_Third_Part_I

From the Lupin Wikia -

The only countries that received the series dubbed were Italy, Spain and Brazil (under the name Cliffhanger). Due to the poor condition and missing archives of the sound to the point of even affecting the soundtrack releases, it is extremely unlikely that any future dubs including English will ever be made.

Well that is unfortunate.

Wow, I can't believe A Woman Called Fujiko Mine came out all the way back in 2012.

Anyway, the VAs aren't getting any younger, so if somebody wants to get the rest of the episodes from the various shows dubbed, it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

Tony Oliver is 61, Richard Epcar is 64, Lex Lang is 54, and Michelle Ruff is 52.  It will probably be Doug Erholtz reprising Zenigata, but anyway, he's 48 whereas Dan Lorge is 54.

Eh, Doug Erholtz also played Gin Ichimaru?  That's some great range!

But I gotta say, everyone still sounds the same pretty much as these characters!  Then again, some people's voices don't start sounding "old" til way later.  But, Michelle Ruff still sounds great, and I gotta say, doesn't look bad, either!

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1