UnevenEdge

Well, it's official. Attack on Titan's 3:30 AM replacement is...Attack on Titan

OwlChemist81

http://www.toonamisquad.com/toonami-to-start-attack-on-titan-over-from-episode-1-season-1-starting-march-2nd/

Like, REALLY!? Gundam fans can't seem to catch a break. Well, at least we've got our Unicorn continuation movie NT on the big screen this Tuesday night!

[now come on origin]

Disclaimer: not yet corroborated anywhere else but Toonami Squad. I suppose it's possible they could still pull a 180 and announce something different.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

http://www.toonamisquad.com/toonami-to-start-attack-on-titan-over-from-episode-1-season-1-starting-march-2nd/

Like, REALLY!? Gundam fans can't seem to catch a break. Well, at least we've got our Unicorn continuation movie NT on the big screen this Tuesday night!

[now come on origin]Creative

Disclaimer: not yet corroborated anywhere else but Toonami Squad. I suppose it's possible they could still pull a 180 and announce something different.

Creative move.

Don't quote me on this as anything 'official' but I think this is being done as a lead-in to the 50th episode's dubbed version airing on Toonami later this year. 

So it's possible that seasons one and two will aire late at night giving anyone who wants to stay up late [ or TiVo / dvr for that matter ] a chance to catch up / review things and season three will get moved to an earlier slot when it becomes necessary. 

Damn, but if that's the case, how far into the year will it even come out? 50 episodes is next year. I'm thinking June myself. That would be around the time Megalobox's replacement would end if it's Mob Psycho 100 Season 2.

UNLESS it gets a weeknight run, but they wouldn't do that, right?

And what's really scary is if it does simply get IBO'ed and cut off in the middle of its run when Season 3 Part 2 is available, without a regular rerun to end the night, Shippuden would end up at 3:30 AM. Are we ready for that?

Well, it is official. I got on my on-screen up and it does indeed say, for March 3rd "To You In 2000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1".

What's really funny is ELSEWHERE on Adult Swim, they still think Adventure Time, Tigtone, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force are airing on weeknights, when they've been replaced by Samurai Jack (yay!), American Dad, and The Boondocks.

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Damn, but if that's the case, how far into the year will it even come out? 50 episodes is next year. I'm thinking June myself. That would be around the time Megalobox's replacement would end if it's Mob Psycho 100 Season 2.

And what's really scary is if it does simply get IBO'ed and cut off in the middle of its run when Season 3 Part 2 is available, without a regular rerun to end the night, Shippuden would end up at 3:30 AM. Are we ready for that?

That’s just the way it’s going to have to go if we need to slot Titan in there AND have a replacement for Megalo. We can’t be too upset for the “old timers” to get pushed late. Their audiences will find them 

My biggest fear is that they’ll either rerun Megalo at 1 or put another rerun in that slot until Titan is ready

Nah, and this pretty much confirms that MegaloBox isn't getting a rerun anytime soon unless they get the 4 AM hour back, which MIGHT not be so far-fetched once we get past the DST changeover on March 9/10. Currently Megalo has 5 episodes left so it's scheduled to end on March 23/24. I guess that means I get its finale for my birthday!! But after that, regaining the 4 AM hour with Megalo/Gundam IBO back-to-back MIGHT not be THAT far-fetched. At this point, Gundam IBO's rerun has 18 episodes left so they COULD roll with it through early summer before losing the rights. At this point, a jaded Gundam fan can only hope...

But as for tonight, DAMN am I looking forward to that Gundam movie in a theater!!

Also, I'll be shocked if we don't get Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 to replace MegaloBox on March 30th.

Edited by OwlChemist81

I think Toonami is pretty solid where it is. The only feasible expansion is to 10:30 for the next batch of new Titan episodes, just because of how simple that is.

If Megalobox is replaced by a new one-cour series, that would end (accounting for marathons) in June, and probably late enough in the month that an Independence Day marathon would be an issue. Now, three weeks after the sub premiere is most likely for the premiere of AoT S3P2... but that's the weekend before Memorial Day, which also muddies the waters. They might just wait until after that and premiere on June 1, or it could be two weeks after the sub. Either way, I separate these ideas from each other.

41 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Nah, and this pretty much confirms that MegaloBox isn't getting a rerun anytime soon unless they get the 4 AM hour back, which MIGHT not be so far-fetched once we get past the DST changeover on March 9/10. Currently Megalo has 5 episodes left so it's scheduled to end on March 23/24. I guess that means I get its finale for my birthday!! But after that, regaining the 4 AM hour with Megalo/Gundam IBO back-to-back MIGHT not be THAT far-fetched. At this point, Gundam IBO's rerun has 18 episodes left so they COULD roll with it through early summer before losing the rights. At this point, a jaded Gundam fan can only hope...

But as for tonight, DAMN am I looking forward to that Gundam movie in a theater!!

Also, I'll be shocked if we don't get Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 to replace MegaloBox on March 30th.

You really want IBO back don’t you lol? You know they have the whole thing on GundamInfo on YouTube?

8 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I think Toonami is pretty solid where it is. The only feasible expansion is to 10:30 for the next batch of new Titan episodes, just because of how simple that is.

If Megalobox is replaced by a new one-cour series, that would end (accounting for marathons) in June, and probably late enough in the month that an Independence Day marathon would be an issue. Now, three weeks after the sub premiere is most likely for the premiere of AoT S3P2... but that's the weekend before Memorial Day, which also muddies the waters. They might just wait until after that and premiere on June 1, or it could be two weeks after the sub. Either way, I separate these ideas from each other.

I think it’ll be June for the simple reason that launching the show right before MD would probably not be the best move. If they can forgo a 4th marathon again this year, they can knock out the whole 2nd half in one go without a break 

20 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Not necessarily. 

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for them to continue running season 1 and 2 in the later slot while starting up season 3 in the earlier slot once that becomes an option. It would allow them to continue to run everything they have while they still have rights for it all, would finish up the series altogether, and placeholder both spots. Depending on how everything gets spaced anyway, season 3 could finish and then replay still in sequence after season 2 finished in that later slot. 

I don't see Titan getting a weeknight run. The hour they have to play with the most is the bridge between the CN evening stuff and the Fox reheats. That's not a spot that would do well playing a show where people get eaten and puked back up. :D Violent and very cartoony type things like Dragon Ball [ anything ] kind of work that bridge just fine but more realistic anime would probably give someone in programming heartburn. 

Well they're airing Boondocks at 1 AM these days--maybe AOT could follow that at 1:30? Though if you ask me the best Toonami show to attempt to pair with Boondocks is actually Megalobox, which I guess just makes its lack of topicals even more tragic because they finally have the perfect place to put them!

But hey, at least it had the full-schedule promo, which is some ways is even BETTER!!

Edited by OwlChemist81

7 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Not necessarily. 

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for them to continue running season 1 and 2 in the later slot while starting up season 3 in the earlier slot once that becomes an option. It would allow them to continue to run everything they have while they still have rights for it all, would finish up the series altogether, and placeholder both spots. Depending on how everything gets spaced anyway, season 3 could finish and then replay still in sequence after season 2 finished in that later slot. 

I don't see Titan getting a weeknight run. The hour they have to play with the most is the bridge between the CN evening stuff and the Fox reheats. That's not a spot that would do well playing a show where people get eaten and puked back up. :D Violent and very cartoony type things like Dragon Ball [ anything ] kind of work that bridge just fine but more realistic anime would probably give someone in programming heartburn. 

Though some people might dislike having two separate runs of the show going simultaneously clogging slots, I would prefer that to them just dumping the rerun as soon as the new episodes are ready.

I'm also not a fan of the idea that Hunter could get pushed all the way to 3AM if they simply shifted Attack on Titan earlier. That's a real lousy way to go out but it would be even worse if they decided to put it at 3:30AM because it's on the way out.

I wonder if they only recently re-obtained the ability to air season 1 on TV. Part of that season has been streaming on Adult Swim's website and app for years but we haven't seen season 1 on TV since September of 2015. It would have been a real good idea to rerun season 1 leading up to season 2 or at least rerunning season 1 and 2 before season 3 started. That probably would have helped Titan find some new viewers. But now the only two options are to cut off this rerun early or air season 3 part 2 and season 1 at the same time. It's not all that different from airing Super and Kai at the same time or Boruto and Shippuden but it's still kind of a waste of the single rerun slot. Frankly I don't care what airs at 3:30AM (or after that for that matter, I'm asleep by then) but it sure doesn't help Toonami's consistent lack of variety issue.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, it is official. I got on my on-screen up and it does indeed say, for March 3rd "To You In 2000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1".

What's really funny is ELSEWHERE on Adult Swim, they still think Adventure Time, Tigtone, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force are airing on weeknights, when they've been replaced by Samurai Jack (yay!), American Dad, and The Boondocks.

For the record AL, Toonami Squad is just as reliable a news source as the Toonami News twitter. Sometimes even more so because they verify schedule changes with Adult Swim public relations via e-mail. So you can trust their reports.

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, I get that. But this IS the network who advertised an interesting April Fool's Day and then did nothing. Even if it's only like 5%, that little swerve will always make me slightly suspicious.

That's totally fair, all schedules are subject to change and they make use of placeholders to avoid spoiling upcoming changes.

I'm just saying there's no need to skeptical of things posted on Toonami Squad that aren't also posted on Toonami News. Sometimes they're just faster at getting these things confirmed than we are.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Though some people might dislike having two separate runs of the show going simultaneously clogging slots, I would prefer that to them just dumping the rerun as soon as the new episodes are ready.

and of course inuyasha had two simultaneous runs going on asa before, though this is the first for anything on toonami.

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

That's totally fair, all schedules are subject to change and they make use of placeholders to avoid spoiling upcoming changes.

I'm just saying there's no need to skeptical of things posted on Toonami Squad that aren't also posted on Toonami News. Sometimes they're just faster at getting these things confirmed than we are.

part of the reason i made the tweet on the swimpedia twitter was because everything adjacent to it on tv guide was updated, and, obviously, they should have announced it themselves the previous day. it's so fucking insane anyone has to email them to verify things they should be announcing themselves.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, I get that. But this IS the network who advertised an interesting April Fool's Day and then did nothing.

Do you not get that advertising April Fool's stunts ruins the idea of there being one to begin with? Hence why 2016 advertised one that wasn't there. That was the prank in itself.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, korosu said:

and of course inuyasha had two simultaneous runs going on asa before, though this is the first for anything on toonami.

part of the reason i made the tweet on the swimpedia twitter was because everything adjacent to it on tv guide was updated, and, obviously, they should have announced it themselves the previous day. it's so fucking insane anyone has to email them to verify things they should be announcing themselves.

You mean this WOULD be the first, if they happen to run AOT S3B and S1 in the same block. As things stand now, we don't know for sure that's what will happen.

And yeah, that is quite preposterous. But they DID finally update the weeknight schedule so that it mentions Samurai Jack and The Boondocks tonight!!

17 hours ago, korosu said:

They need to stop being so secrective with the schedule and have something official that goes at least 2-3 weeks out. I don’t know why they do this. I know they have last minute changes, but this is basic stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, korosu said:

I guess they don’t see any reason to announce Titan is going back to season 1 because the schedule hasn’t technically changed.