UnevenEdge

made some of those adult push pops

wacky1980

if you've been alive anytime in the last few weeks, you've probably seen those alcoholic push pops selling online at $100 for eight. well, that's a fucking rip-off. but the idea is clever enough that we thought we'd try to duplicate them and sell them at the bar. so we spent the last week working on a recipe for our first one, and i think it's ready to go. the consistency after being frozen is the toughest part to get right, because the slushy goodness needs to be soft enough to eat without utensils, but solid enough that it can be pushed out of its cup and still hold its shape. after a few batches, we settled in on a recipe that hits all the check boxes and is pretty tasty to boot. anyways, the recipe:

1 lb fruit, cut up and frozen (we used a mix of peaches, pineapples, mango, and strawberries)
4 oz simple syrup
6 oz vodka (avoid the cheap stuff, it makes a huge difference)

combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. immediately pour mix into push pop moulds, cap, and put in the freezer upright overnight. makes eight 3-oz push pop servings.

oh, the push pop cups are on amazon. they're kinda chintzy but they only cost like $12 for two dozen. if you don't freeze the fruit, the mix is too runny when you add it to the push pop and it runs out the bottom (also, freezing the fruit first kinda helps with the consistency). our total cost for a single batch comes out to about $30, or $1.25 each (including the containers and all ingredients). the push pops are technically reusable, but we're not gonna do that when we sell them in the bar.

nutritional data (as made from the above recipe): 10% ABV, 100 calories. if you want to boost the alcohol, add 9oz of vodka for a 15% ABV treat at 125 calories per.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 1:19 PM, tsar4 said:

Not saying you should, but you could cut up the fruit and let it soak in everclear before removing & freezing it.

But then you might have to call all your patrons a cab to get home.

it's a great idea, and i'd do it in a heartbeat. problem is, if you bring the alcohol content up too high, they don't freeze very well. and if you don't have enough sugar in there, they don't stay creamy while frozen. i can maybe squeeze a couple more percentage points into the ABV before i need a deep freeze to get the consistency right, but then they turn to mush before a person gets them half eaten.

if you want a fruity everclear beverage, jungle juice is still the way to go.

• 5 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, 1pooh4u said:

It's magical how people get alcohol to freeze, (I'm excluding beer and low alcohol content drinks.)

At my job we've had a bottle of grey goose in the freezer for a year, never freezes

pure ethanol (the alcohol in yer booze) freezes at -173F. so if you have an 80-proof vodka like grey goose, a lot of boring science says the freezing point would be around -17F. most freezers don't go too far below 0F, so you'll never get that vodka to freeze.

now, when you dilute the vodka with water, sugar, and puree'd fruit, the freezing point climbs considerably. or more accurately, the alcohol solution is thinned out enough to allow ice crystals to form that are large enough to trap the alcohol in suspension and create the "slushy" consistency needed for a freeze pop.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, wacky1980 said:

pure ethanol (the alcohol in yer booze) freezes at -173F. so if you have an 80-proof vodka like grey goose, a lot of boring science says the freezing point would be around -17F. most freezers don't go too far below 0F, so you'll never get that vodka to freeze.

now, when you dilute the vodka with water, sugar, and puree'd fruit, the freezing point climbs considerably. or more accurately, the alcohol solution is thinned out enough to allow ice crystals to form that are large enough to trap the alcohol in suspension and create the "slushy" consistency needed for a freeze pop.

I keep a sample size bottle of vodka in my freezer when I need to paint on fondant with food coloring gels. ::nods::