UnevenEdge

Has anyone watched Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress?

molarbear

OOOOOOOOooooooohhhh, cool

so it's kind of like how everything the staff of Sailor Moon did immediately afterwards were like their own interpertation of Sailor Moon (namely Utena and Princess Tutu)

Yeah I think Araki did Kabaneri because he knew it was gonna be another year or so before we had enough of the manga to do AoT season 2

Kabaneri is more of a blockbuster action series than Attack on Titan

Kabaneri is actually pretty good. Kind of falls apart in the second half but still decent.

It's basically AOT with Iron zombies instead of titans.  The characters aren't as memorable though.

Last I heard it was actually more popular in Japan than Re Zero, don't ask me why since Zero dominates the rankings pretty much everywhere else.

Yeah I mean, it's definitely one of the top anime for that year.

It had two things going heavily against it though.

Derided as a not quite as good as AOT knockoff.

Competing with RE Zero.

Off the top of my head I can name a few characters from AOT ....Mikasa, Erin, Armin, Levi.

Quick, name 4 characters from Kabaneri off the top of your head! No cheating.

The only thing that really bugged me was they got these zombies with armored cases covering their hearts, why is it that some 12 year old is the only one that thought of developing armor piercing bullets?

Then you got this whole group of people who are notorious for killing the zombies and are famed and idolized.... but no one bothers to go "Hey!  how'd you do that?  We've been using the equivalent of air soft guns and rubber swords." 

The only thing that really bugged me was they got these zombies with armored cases covering their hearts, why is it that some 12 year old is the only one that thought of developing armor piercing bullets?

Then you got this whole group of people who are notorious for killing the zombies and are famed and idolized.... but no one bothers to go "Hey!  how'd you do that?  We've been using the equivalent of air soft guns and rubber swords."

NOT ONLY does he figure out the armor piercing thing.... but he figures out how to survive being bitten without turning as well... IN THE SAME DAY.

Plots got a few holes, lets just say that.

When you're a genius main character in a steampunk world surrounded by zombies, everything is bound to be coming up you.

The show seemed to take a bit more of an '80s OVA tact where the writing was concerned. Also, the character designs. And if you've seen any '80s OVAs, you know that storyline or characters weren't necessarily well conceived, or fleshed out, or made any sense.