UnevenEdge

Japanese Pair Team Skates to Yuri on Ice Song

ben0119

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/02/09/winter-olympics-2018-figure-skating-yuri-on-ice-anime/

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-is-yuri-on-ice-japans-figure-skating-routine-song-has-twitter-super-excited-8171743

Johnny Weir even pointed out how the song came from "Yuri on Ice, a popular anime about figure skating."  That's right, the big A-word got said on network TV! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kept forgetting to reply to this.

But anime got even more of an unexpected spotlight later on!  They had a whole segment talking about Yevgenia Medvedeva and how she loves J-pop, K-pop, and anime, and how her favorite is Sailor Moon.  She's even performed as her before!  Sailor Moon is searching for an ancient artifact?  Been forever since I've seen it so I'm not sure.  But they said the sacred artifact Yevgenia is after is a gold medal. :) And there was an actual short animated sequence with her as an anime character!  Have no idea who did the animation.  I'll try to find video of it but don't know how fruitful I'll be.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:46 AM, Jman said:

People care about the Winter Olympics?

I gained an interest in hockey when it froze down here one year and even played roller hockey (badly) for a time, but I lost track of it and never got back into it after the shut out.  It took even longer for it get back on the good channels.  Stopped watching NASCAR after Dale Ernhardt died.  So really the Olympics is the only sports I even watch.  It's my duty as an American citizen after all! :P Besides, they're unusual sports and the Olympics is only once in a while.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:56 AM, Gina Szanboti said:

I hate that the IOC suppresses all the video, but won't make it available even on their own sites.  Hopefully I can catch it Tuesday, though it won't be as fun not being the first time.

It is annoying for sure.  For whatever it's worth there's a video on YouTube of them performing to the song at a different competition.