UnevenEdge

tacos

MEXobiologist

The original tacos corn tortillas and cilantro,lemon, salsa sometimes onion, the good meats asada,carnitas,chorizo,alpastor and such

yeah, sometimes i toss on some salsa but usually not.

i dun fucks with the asada, carnitas, or chorizo though. ground beef or chix for mexitacs.

MEX:  I have texture issues too with hard shells. 

Everyone is different though.

heard that! for whatever reason, the less textured more soft foods, i have a harder time with even if the taste is good  :(

i don't much care for the actual hard shells either. its like they want to slice your mouth to bits and drop all their contents everywhere. a good fried corn shell to a nice chewy but not tough consistency though, omnomnomnomnom.

its a damn good thing its taco tuesday everywhere today. imma git down on it!  <3

I can only get really yummy tacos on weekends, so why are you guys making me so hungry now?  :'(

Crunchy corn shell with sour cream, lettuce, cheese, and red salsa:

Discada

Chorizo

Ground beef

I go to this taco place whose shells will still be crispy after ten minutes with those toppings.

Soft corn tortillas with onions, cilantro, and red salsa:

Asada

Chicken

Carnitas

I think fried fish tacos and Korean beef tacos are the only ones I'll eat with flour tortillas.

Recently I've been making Italian tacos and adding spiced rum towards the end. I use beef with extra fat (eg. 70/30) so it soaks up the rum. The seasoning itself consists of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary leaves, thyme, granulated sugar, cumin, basil, and I will occasionally add cilantro or marjoram.  Tortillas are flour and veggies are predominantly grilled bell peppers and onions.

• 1 month later...

I can only get really yummy tacos on weekends, so why are you guys making me so hungry now?  :'(

Crunchy corn shell with sour cream, lettuce, cheese, and red salsa:

Discada

Chorizo

Ground beef

I go to this taco place whose shells will still be crispy after ten minutes with those toppings.

Soft corn tortillas with onions, cilantro, and red salsa:

Asada

Chicken

Carnitas

I think fried fish tacos and Korean beef tacos are the only ones I'll eat with flour tortillas.

i have yet to try a bulgogi style taco... they simply do not exist where i live.

i would just make my own but every korean style meat dish i attempt tastes like shit. i can crank out most of the veggie dishes deliciously... but somehow always fuck up the meat. should get back to trying soon though. when the weather gets nice, i'm having a cabbage kimchi making party with a girlfriend from work and her sisters. their mom is korean and always buys about five pounds from me because it apparently tastes exactly like her mothers did. so as a surprise, i'm going to teach them and let it ferment here. it would be nice to have some success in bulgogi at that point so i can make the tacos with my own fresh kimchi slaw.

Recently I've been making Italian tacos and adding spiced rum towards the end. I use beef with extra fat (eg. 70/30) so it soaks up the rum. The seasoning itself consists of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary leaves, thyme, granulated sugar, cumin, basil, and I will occasionally add cilantro or marjoram.  Tortillas are flour and veggies are predominantly grilled bell peppers and onions.

holy shit that sounds delicious and i've never heard of such a thing.

must. try.

thank you. thank you very much for opening my eyes to this....  <3

I could never be particularly choosy about a taco. I usually gravitate towards soft corn or flour tortilla, but I get cravings for crunchy. If it involves either jalapeno, hot sauce, lime, or guacamole, I'm set. The only thing I'd turn down is sour cream or plain onion.

sour cream is a total deal breaker to me in terms of taco. 

i have yet to try a bulgogi style taco... they simply do not exist where i live.

i would just make my own but every korean style meat dish i attempt tastes like shit. i can crank out most of the veggie dishes deliciously... but somehow always fuck up the meat. should get back to trying soon though. when the weather gets nice, i'm having a cabbage kimchi making party with a girlfriend from work and her sisters. their mom is korean and always buys about five pounds from me because it apparently tastes exactly like her mothers did. so as a surprise, i'm going to teach them and let it ferment here. it would be nice to have some success in bulgogi at that point so i can make the tacos with my own fresh kimchi slaw.

One of the few benefits of living in Georgia is that we have a decent Mexican and Korean population, so we have a bunch of Korean style taquerias. I'm too lazy when it comes to attempting my own because I have access to so many folks who do it well.

One of the few benefits of living in Georgia is that we have a decent Mexican and Korean population, so we have a bunch of Korean style taquerias. I'm too lazy when it comes to attempting my own because I have access to so many folks who do it well.

jelly!

we don't have much diversity in terms of food where i live :/

lots n lots of mexican food though

I've made some ground turkey with bulgogi marinade that went into lettuce wraps, but I'd imagine it'd be great in a taco. The Korean market around me is a little further away, but it's worth it because they've got a ton of restaurants in the area including a bar with Korean bar-food and experimental tapas. I need to drop by for a visit for some tukbokki, bulgogi ramen nachos, or whatever they made special since the last time I've been. Bulgogi tacos sound like they'd be amazing though, especially if they have diced kimchi.

The Italian tacos sound like they'd be great as well. Wonder if mixing sausage into the taco beef would be a good addition, but maybe the herbs kick it up enough as is.

I can't do sour cream on tacos. I don't heavily dislike sour cream itself, but for some reason I just don't like putting it on food that people like it on like potatoes or tacos. I usually aim to make tacos spicy and just drink water if I need to cool down.

I've made some ground turkey with bulgogi marinade that went into lettuce wraps, but I'd imagine it'd be great in a taco. The Korean market around me is a little further away, but it's worth it because they've got a ton of restaurants in the area including a bar with Korean bar-food and experimental tapas. I need to drop by for a visit for some tukbokki, bulgogi ramen nachos, or whatever they made special since the last time I've been. Bulgogi tacos sound like they'd be amazing though, especially if they have diced kimchi.

The Italian tacos sound like they'd be great as well. Wonder if mixing sausage into the taco beef would be a good addition, but maybe the herbs kick it up enough as is.

I can't do sour cream on tacos. I don't heavily dislike sour cream itself, but for some reason I just don't like putting it on food that people like it on like potatoes or tacos. I usually aim to make tacos spicy and just drink water if I need to cool down.

for whatever reason, 50% of the time i make tteokbokki the rice cake is hard. seriously do not know why that happens or what i'm doing wrong only half of the time >.<

if i want decent korean anything, i usually have to drive 45-60 minutes... markets or restaurants. you can't even find a place that sells soju (technically) unless you want to drive 3-4 hours. i mean, the korean markets that are 45 minutes away sell soju... just not to non koreans because they don't have a liquor license and do such illegally. i've tried and failed many a time  :D  such a shame too, its my favorite booze besides beer.

i am just not a huge fan of sour cream in general. like, i definitely use it in my cooking... casserole, dips, and the like but not as a topping. if something calls for it as a topping, i usually substitute it with plain greek yogurt.

The tteokbokki didn't come out good when I tried to make it at the house, but that's probably because I tried to zazz it up by stirring it in with bulgogi sauce instead of the spicy or cream sauces that it usually goes better with, and I couldn't be sure what was the best boiling point for them. I have to go to that specific restaurant for the softer ones.

The Korean market/restaurants by me a little closer than that, but because they're 20 minutes compared to a regular supermarket, I have to be strategic and come with enough money and a shopping list to come home with what I'd need so I won't have to drive near such a heavy traffic location that's difficult to get in and out of constantly. It's more of a special place to hit up when I have some free time or have to pick stuff up to cook for a special occasion.

I get thrown off by what is soju because they don't clarify which is which very well on the shelves. I'm able to identify the sake and fruit wine well, but they tend to have several varieties of rice/grain wines that I can only assume may or may not be soju. It might be easier to identify if I could read Korean, but because I can only grasp onto English and some Japanese, I can only guesstimate. There's the TyKu one at Total Wine, but their forte was always overpriced sake.