UnevenEdge

Toonami's Influence On Netflix's 2018 Anime Craze

The1gairon

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/141989027305

he also said on twitter recently that they can't get Mob Psycho 100 at the moment either

A few things to keep in mind:

1. This ask.fm post was made 3 months ago.

2. 3 months later and still no MHA on Netflix, so it's somehow unlikely that 2nd sentence had anything specifically to do with MHA, and

3. The budget resets every year

Based on all that, I'd say it's somewhat likely we'll see MHA premiere on Toonami in 2018. Best case scenario, it would replace Lupin the 3rd in January. Depending upon what happens November 25th (marathon in 2015 but none in 2016), Lupin will end on January 14th or 21st. I would say that the following week an MHA premiere would be ideal, because there are 38 episodes out at the moment, which is slightly less than 9 months. Assuming normal marathons on Memorial Day Weekend, July 4th weekend (though maybe not next year because that would be June 30th), and Labor Day Weekend, there would be 41 weeks to get through all those episodes, and then a November simul-dub of MHA Season 3 would premiere on Toonami (as it's slated to arrive in October 2018). That way, Toonami could use 2018 leading up to the premiere of MHA Season 3 to catch up on Seasons 1 & 2.

But this is all just speculation at this point, it's important to note. And of course unless MHA Season 1 is relegated to 1:30 AM (a move that might not be too bad since it's not a dub premiere), that would also cause JoJo and/or Gundam and Hunter x Hunter to move down. Of course the other wild card is FLCL S2 & S3, but I believe the best course of action with those would be to whisk DBZ KFC off the schedule for 6+ weeks while each mini-season airs at 11:30.

In light of the fact that AOT S3 has now been announced for July, I might need to amend this. The status quo seems to indicate that DBZ KFC is done in April or May if it doesn't get interrupted (man, I thought we got to spend longer with Kid Buu!) I still say if FLCL 2 is an 11:30 show, the 6-week interruption in DBZ KFC would probably be best. However, with that, it would end in July and get replaced by AOT S3, while JoJo keeps on truckin' at either midnight or 12:30 depending upon whether or not they pick up MHA, which even in Season 1 might be a midnight show. But I really feel that if they try to get to simul-dub premieres of Season 3 in October, the best plan would be to start it in January after Lupin's ending with Season 1 at 12:30 or later, then maybe move it up with Season 2 in April, and then finally give it its best timeslot (11:30 or Midnight) with Season 3 in October or November.

It's probably the Funiroll deal. CR announced they would be dubbing their own shows, but then that deal happened, and so did delays. KanColle took its sweet time to come out on home video, and Kabaneri has followed suit.

Of course, there's no guarantee anything that streamed before the deal was made is locked up by Funi. :ghost:

Wow, the fact that there's STILL no dub for Re Zero is baffling!

Kabaneri was made around the same time as RE Zero, so maybe it's coming soon.

Danmachi and No Game no Life took their sweet times getting dubbed also, considering their popularity.

Meanwhile, a generic harem anime like  "In another World with my smartphone" gets simuldubbed.

Hey Tanya the Evil is great, it got simuldubbed, along with Worldend. Love Tyrant was a decent comedy, it got one. Akashic records as well.

I still think someone like Sentai got the rights to Re Zero and Konosuba. They always take forever.

These are just rumors I've seen on a few twitter accounts that aren't official sources. I misinterpreted what they were saying as an official announcement, so there is no official confirmation about this as of yet. And yes it would be awesome...

I dunno I just feel they are being run by people who don't have a passion for Anime, and it shows... if you can't be bothered to hire people who actually know what makes a good anime and what anime fans tend to like then you're not going to be doing anything but getting lucky on occasion...

If they were really smart, they would move their time slot earlier two hours and air their less violent or dark content earlier, it would get better views that way. The Early block could be DB Kai, DB Super, HxH, and Shippuden if they really wanted to keep it if you put those on at 9 pm and 10 pm respectively you'd be seeing a lot higher ratings than you do now. Save weird stuff with mature content like Jojo for 11 pm or later. It will still get good ratings because it has good content and they could avoid the restrictions of primetime that way. They could also still air their variety like DB or Gundam vs more violent or mature stuff like Berserk (assuming they'd ever pick it up) or Overlord in a later slot.

I have a small list of anime I would love for them to consider:

Quality stuff they could invest in that few or no one has (Evening Slots):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MHA - this is a given I think for anyone that knows about it.

Made in Abyss

Ancient Magus Bride

Tiger and Bunny

Mob Psycho 100

One Punch Man season 2 (when it ever gets made)

Yuri on Ice (this would almost deffinitely never happen for multiple reasons)

Beelzebub

Katekyo Hitman Reborn

Ushio and Tora

Clannad (if they wanted slice of life)

Shaman King

Magi

Quality stuff they could invest that few or no one has (Late Night):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overlord

Berserk (might be considered too graphic)

Steins Gate

Claymore

Bungou Stray Dogs

Monster (might be considered too graphic)

Elfen Lied (probably would never happen cause it is very graphic)

Gantz (probably would never happen cause it is very graphic)

Drifters

Blade of the Immortal

Arslan Senki

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (probably too graphic)

Darker than Black

Now and then Here and There (almost definitely too graphic or upsetting)

They probably are not even aware of a quarter of the above shows, which is indicative of the underlying problem.

Don't post FAKE NEWS! :P

Demarco, Gill, and the others definitely have a passion for anime and have been longtime fans.  You obviously don't know them very well, or Toonami in general.  I think the issue is more that they have a love affair with certain series and franchises and will favor them over others, and they'll also only air shows that they themselves like too, so they claim.  If you look at Toonami's run, once they hit their stride, they were hitting it out of the park as far as getting in demand, popular, and fairly recent series.  But the past year or so they've dropped the ball and been caught with their pants down so many times it's not even funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Toonami

Look at the table on the right and compare 2013 through 2016 to 2017 and it's like night and day.  Hell I think the decline may have even started later in 2016.

Don't know if the issue is just straight up bungling, or if they are getting destroyed by the competition in terms of acquisitions.  I mean, they have acknowledged when asked that they were aware of certain shows that people wanted before they aired, like JoJo and One Punch Man, etc. but they can't say anything as far as whether they are looking into airing them, of course.  Besides just the legal and business reasons, it's now become apparent that if Demarco so much as sneezes the name of an anime, someone else buys it out from under him.  He had said not too long ago that if Netflix finds out they are interested in a series, and he probably doesn't even have to say anything publicly either, mind you, they offer double what Toonami bid and snap it up.  So, if he's not talking about recent shows, there's a good reason for that.  Maybe it is simply that the rest of the anime market has grown that much, that Toonami isn't having as easy pickings as before, or they are just making bad decisions.  It's hard to say.

People have been requesting Tiger & Bunny for a while, or were.  I would say it is too late, but they aired other shows a few years after the peak of their hype, as well.  The new Berserk anime is supposed to be horrible and cheap looking.  Also, depending on how old a show is, or looks, the "too old" factor comes into play, in the event you are talking about the old series.  It's similar to how some people won't watch black and white movies because they're black and white, or "it was before my time can't relate to it" or "it's cheesy and melodramatic" etc. whatever.  Such shows don't do well with the general audience, sadly, so that puts them out of the running.  Monster was a great series, but already aired on SyFy, and isn't an action series.  Yuri on Ice is not an action series, unless some sort of Steven Seagal stuff goes on I don't know about.  Steven Seagal movie with ice skating as the backdrop?  Hmmm. :D From what I understand Steins Gate is not action, either.  Now and Then Here and There aired on SyFy.  Probably has enough action, but not sure what kind of ratings it would get.  It could possibly go in the niche pick department a la Lupin or Michiko, but I'd say it's a longshot.  Ushio and Tora gives me InuYasha vibes so I'm kind of interested in it and it has been suggested before.  Magi was requested for years, not sure if they will pick it up at this point, and I think it's on Netflix. 

You're totally wrong about there being "only 2 dubbed things" on Netflix, by the way. :| And no way in hell would Netflix let them air dubbed versions of their subbed shows.  They like to have both and already do for many series and I see no reason for that to change.  But, Netflix had HxH subbed, first time it ever got officially localized in America, so I suppose such a scenario is possible, but I highly doubt any deal was negotiated between Netflix and Toonami.  More likely that's how the licenser chose to ship it out.

Anyway, that's about all the shows you suggested that I've seen or know something about that I care to comment on.

They probably are, but are getting beaten to the punch.  Or, Demarco chose to air a Gundam show instead. :P

OOOOH Tanya! Yes I knew I was forgetting something else from my favorites list. It would be perfect for them, plus I don't think anyone else has announced for those yet. It seems more and more like incompetent management to me though, as sad as that is. I'm not really sure how hard it is to hire one or two people who know anime to do Quality Control... or even hold a fucking poll ffs. We came up with multiple things better than like 60% of what they are currently airing in less than a few hours. I don't see why it is so hard, unless its just a matter of taste and willingness... :|

They do, and things like Tokyo Ghoul have won them. :| They got Tokyo Ghoul because people were requesting it in droves endlessly for years, though not sure why they waited until this long after the fact to pick it up...  If anything they rely on those polls and fan feedback too much.  Just because excited, diehard fans highly request something, or maybe even spam, doesn't mean everyone else will like it, or even they themselves will turn out to watch it.  Not Toonami, but we saw a similar thing happen with Eva.  "Internet Famous," but a dud on TV.  Or be good.  But keep in mind you'll probably rarely, if ever have a block where every show on it is good to you, and even shows that are bad to most of us, like Shippuden, can bring in monster ratings, so you kinda' have to have them around to keep the lights on, to then be able to air the quality shows which may or may not do well.

2016 was a bad year for them as well

Samurai Champloo

Dimension W

Hunter × Hunter (2011 series)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

One-Punch Man

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

6 shows. One was a ratings hit. Two of those shows have continued to be picked up for additional seasons despite being ratings duds.

Dragon Ball Super - Dud

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - Still retains well, but not nearly as popular as the first two sagas.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096- Dud

Samurai Jack (revival series) - Hit

Tokyo Ghoul - Dud

Lupin the Third Part IV - Massive dud

Tokyo Ghoul √A -  Dud and just awful quality wise.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Dud

Outlaw Star (uncut) - Dud .....After 60 something percent retention last week.. it's officially a dud

So that's two straight years of picking almost nothing but ratings duds. You say they're anime fans but I think they're "classic" anime fans. I don't think they have much interest in anything new or they wouldn't keep getting surprised by stuff like MHA blowing up and becoming popular.

Countdown to OwlChemist81[/member] asking how the cancellation of production on season 6 of House of Cards after Kevin Spacey was exposed as the latest Hollywood creep could impact Netflix's ability to buy anime and possibly give an advantage to Toonami. :|

.......... HOW????

How are the two remotely related??

I suppose you're personal friends with the Netflix people too??

Countdown to OwlChemist81[/member] asking how the cancellation of production on season 6 of House of Cards after Kevin Spacey was exposed as the latest Hollywood creep could impact Netflix's ability to buy anime and possibly give an advantage to Toonami. :|

Huh? If anything, not spending moolah on a new season of HoC would mean MORE money to spend on anime acquisitions!

:poop:

.......... HOW????

How are the two remotely related??

I suppose you're personal friends with the Netflix people too??

You know that was just me making fun of Alchemist right?  He likes to apply everything to "Toonami" and "ratings."  We call him a crackpot for a reason. :P

Huh? If anything, not spending moolah on a new season of HoC would mean MORE money to spend on anime acquisitions!

:poop:

Well, they're going to lose money from having everything set up to film and then having to shut it all down, possibly pay people for not working, etc.  Then there's the revenue lost from Season 6 not being on their service. :D

Samurai Champloo

Dimension W

One-Punch Man

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

6 shows. One was a ratings hit. Two of those shows have continued to be picked up for additional seasons despite being ratings duds.

Dragon Ball Super - Dud

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - Still retains well, but not nearly as popular as the first two sagas.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096- Dud

Samurai Jack (revival series) - Hit

Tokyo Ghoul - Dud

Lupin the Third Part IV - Massive dud

Tokyo Ghoul √A -  Dud and just awful quality wise.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Dud

Outlaw Star (uncut) - Dud .....After 60 something percent retention last week.. it's officially a dud

So that's two straight years of picking almost nothing but ratings duds. You say they're anime fans but I think they're "classic" anime fans. I don't think they have much interest in anything new or they wouldn't keep getting surprised by stuff like MHA blowing up and becoming popular.

One Punch Man and JoJo were in big demand online, and got a lot of discussion and buzz.  Not sure why JoJo didn't do well, which is unfortunate.  Maybe it wasn't as popular as we thought, and the fans were just really active and excited?  Don't care if it was a ratings dud, though, since it's awesome.  Gundam... they have a Gundam fetish.  Gundam really hasn't been relavent in the U.S. since the early to mid 2000s, and that's probably being generous.  So, doesn't make much sense to go to such lengths to negotiate and possibly put themselves in a long term contract for multiple Gundam series when... no one cares.  Hunter x Hunter is another example of their fetishes.  It was one of those shows they "always wanted to air" so as soon as it became available, they pounced on it.  And they got it so long after the fact because it took forever to get licensed, probably because no one in America cared and Viz took pity on it or got desperate.  So, yeah, 2016 was pretty bad too.  Only shining spots there for me are One Punch Man and JoJo.

Super is a dud now, really?  Most people don't like Gundam, and Unicorn was hilariously horrible.  Tokyo Ghoul bombed too?  So glad they listened to those fan requests for a show several years after it was new that sucked just for us to have to suffer through it and have it suck in the ratings.  At least we had fun making fun of it, though. :P Lupin is known to be niche.  I like Lupin, but again, this is another series they have a fetish for.  They wanted to get Fujiko Mine and didn't, so they got Lupin Part IV, because they "always wanted to air a Lupin series." Both Tokyo Ghouls were awful quality wise, lol.  Is Outlaw Star really doing that bad?  That makes me sad, since I'm really enjoying it.  It was one of the few Toonami or ASA shows that I missed from back then and I never got around to watching it, so this uncut airing was perfect for me.  It's unfortunate that the audience today seemingly isn't interested.  Maybe this falls victim to "too old" syndrome?  Doesn't look bad, but the art style is dated maybe?  Eh.

They are classic anime fans but they like the modern stuff too and definitely seem aware of what's coming around the curve.  Like I said, when asked at cons, etc about shows if they know about them, like JoJo and One Punch Man, which people really wanted on the block, they acknowledged they did.  It was a way of asking and them pretty much being able to say they are aware of a show and are likely looking into airing it, without actually saying so.  They would also be able to gauge possible hits to an extent by what is popular in Japan and in subs in the U.S.  This isn't always effective, as there's plenty of shows Japan doesn't care about that America does, and vise versa, and shows aren't always popular in both sub and dub, but between that, and just keeping their eye on something they think might appeal to viewers even if it's not even already huge (remember when Toonami used to make hits?), they should be able to get something decent and do better than this! 

As for what's going on now, I'd say it's a combination of baffling decisions, along with the competition getting much more fierce.  The indulge in their Gundam fetish endlessly even though no one cares, aired a rerun like Samurai Champloo, and various other older shows and shows people don't care about, like Hiatus, air Tokyo Ghoul years after the peak of its hype just because the fans wouldn't stfu, as opposed to getting some of the latest big shows.  I'd also imagine some of them got bought out from under them, as well. 

Really, they've been off their game badly from how good they were doing before.  It's gotten to the point where I've had to suspend my policy of saving shows for Toonami, because I can't rely on them to pick up the hits anymore.  Or, hell, anything that great.  Even though I've got backlogs of games, shows, tons of other hobbies and stuff I can do, so it made sense to do this, I couldn't take it anymore and went into anime withdrawal and had to start watching more stuff on my own again.  Sad.  :D

I repeat a point the Toonami Faithful Podcast crew said on a recent separate video they uploaded hours before last week's block:  .... all these show ARE stuff fans want to watch! .... but NOT on Toonami!

Link?

I mentioned blazing through Unicorn on YouTube while having ignored the Toonami run.  (Thanks GundamInfo!)

I repeat a point the Toonami Faithful Podcast crew said on a recent separate video they uploaded hours before last week's block:  .... all these show ARE stuff fans want to watch! .... but NOT on Toonami! 

Seriously.  Jojo is obscenely popular across anime fandom as a whole (you could flat-out drown in the memes), and HxH is a perennially-popular manga whose anime series is regularly held up as one of the best shounen adaptations ever.  Attack on Titan is obviously a juggernaut, and I have to imagine Super does gangbusters for FUNi in streaming viewership.  Gundam as a whole is admittedly more niche in the US, and Unicorn in particular relied on some foreknowledge of the Universal Century timeline, but within the fandom it's easily the most praised out of all the recent Gundam offerings (hell it's getting a giant statue in Japan), and Iron-Blooded Orphans had some decent buzz itself.  Even as abysmal as Tokyo Ghoul is, a ton of people out there like it, and I even saw its limited-edition release in the top sellers list on RightStuf.  Most of the shows Toonami picks up are relatively popular, but what seems to be a real crap-shoot is whether or not people actually want to watch/re-watch them on the block.  Personally I love seeing things I've already watched show up on TV and have fun talking with other people who are watching them for the first time, but I get the impression that I'm in a distinct minority.  A lot of anime viewers either don't rewatch shows in general, or don't care to rewatch them in English, or will just shrug their shoulders and rewatch via streams or home media at their convenience.  I'm not really sure how you get them to tune in.

(It's not like this is a new phenomenon for the block.  Evangelion is easily one of the most popular anime series ever created, yet it barely made a blip when it aired on the block a decade ago.  Or hell, look at Death Note, which is still plastered all over Hot Topic and was mainstream enough to get scare pieces on local news.  It didn't exactly haul in a ton of eyeballs on Saturday nights either.)

And when it comes down to it there's the underlying fact that Nielsen data is still fairly useless when it comes to measuring the impact of on-demand and delayed DVR viewings, which account for a pretty massive chunk of views these days.  The actual numbers we're seeing for linear viewers don't matter nearly as much as they once did, which is why I tend to be intensely skeptical of claims that a particular show's numbers represent a flat-out "bomb."  There are other occasional concerns as well: Super's Toonami numbers are obviously getting cut down by its before-the-block premieres, which I'm sure we have Toei to thank for.  Problem is that there's not much you can do about that.

Except Death Note, which didn't do well because it's a mostly non action slow burn psychological thriller.... I don't think any of those anime are particularly popular in the US. People are watching the hell out of Super... in Japan. Gundam? Japan. Jojo has a small and rabid US fanbase, same as HxH. But it's mostly Japan. Lupin and old reruns won't cut it either.

The Japanese in general are way more in love with long running Shonen anime than we are. They also love Mechs and classroom themed anime more than we do. Oh and anime about Idols and sports.

Angel Beats and Future Diary would probably beat the crap out of any of those shows in the ratings, even at their age.

RE Zero was the top anime of 2016, except in Japan. They liked Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress better. Which is amazing, since it's an entertaining but completely forgettable anime.

I've said it before, but as soon as they get better at determining which shows blowing up big in Japan will work on US TV, Toonami will start doing better.

The other thing... they've gotta stop being allergic to breasts. There's a reason that 500 new harem anime get produced every year, there's a huge market for it.

The Hollywood Reporter puts things in context:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-netflix-is-disrupting-empowering-japans-anime-industry-1050297

And I still say a lot of Toonami shows would score big on Netflix and Hulu.  The problem in many cases isn’t the show (except in the case of Hiatus, it’s the show) but rather the distribution method.

Samurai Champloo

Dimension W

One-Punch Man

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Hey, wait a minute! THREE of those shows (Dimension W, One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter) could be considered "hits". Sure, Hunter x Hunter is a long-runner, and it has faltered toward the middle of its run (and yes, we are coming up on the midpoint of Hunter x Hunter), but it was a bonafide hit right out of the gate. Then again, so were Gundam IBO and even JoJo; they just faltered a bit later in their runs. And Samurai Champloo did damn good by today's standards for a rerun.

I don't know how binary decision-making plays into this, but if Jason says Part 3 of JoJo's is doing fine, shouldn't that mean it is not a dud? Just like most of us are not crackpots.

But I guess it would be easier to just name some currently-running anime that are doing well and/or Toonami won't get, such as Black Clover, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Juni Taisen, and Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji.

Hey, wait a minute! THREE of those shows (Dimension W, One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter) could be considered "hits". Sure, Hunter x Hunter is a long-runner, and it has faltered toward the middle of its run (and yes, we are coming up on the midpoint of Hunter x Hunter), but it was a bonafide hit right out of the gate. Then again, so were Gundam IBO and even JoJo; they just faltered a bit later in their runs. And Samurai Champloo did damn good by today's standards for a rerun.

I seem to remember DW taking the same fat 20 percent loss that most shows take after Kai. And they never ran it again. That's pretty bad for a hyped broadcast premiere. I looked at a random day in 2016 to check... 77 percent retention that night. That sucks.

HxH? Ehh I seem to remember it floundered when it was near the top of the lineup and got booted down. It's hard to argue that a show that was quickly moved down and ended up airing behind IBO, Jojo and TG is a hit. It also gets beaten by Naruto at least once a month.

Gundam IBO was a hit? I'm looking at a night with 69 percent retention. Jojo was definitely not a hit, a lot of people were puzzled by the low ratings and thought that it would do better once it got to the more well known parts. That didn't happen.

Champioo did good for a rerun. Couldn't really use the word hit though.

I seem to remember DW taking the same fat 20 percent loss that most shows take after Kai. And they never ran it again. That's pretty bad for a hyped broadcast premiere. I looked at a random day in 2016 to check... 77 percent retention that night. That sucks.

It might not have been a hit retention-wise, but having over a million viewers for most of its episodes is hit-worthy in its own right. So I'd say it was more middle-of-the-road.

HxH? Ehh I seem to remember it floundered when it was near the top of the lineup and got booted down. It's hard to argue that a show that was quickly moved down and ended up airing behind IBO, Jojo and TG is a hit. It also gets beaten by Naruto at least once a month.

Gundam IBO was a hit? I'm looking at a night with 69 percent retention. Jojo was definitely not a hit, a lot of people were puzzled by the low ratings and thought that it would do better once it got to the more well known parts. That didn't happen.

Champioo did good for a rerun. Couldn't really use the word hit though.

Didn't HXH get booted down because a new show was coming?

It might not have been a hit retention-wise, but having over a million viewers for most of its episodes is hit-worthy in its own right. So I'd say it was more middle-of-the-road.

Yes but this was back in the day when Champioo 2 slots down was hitting over a mil for half its episodes.