UnevenEdge

a Theory about the Okamas in one piece**spoilers**

mochi

Sandstone[/member]

statistically (and for someone who says he knows many gay men irl) it's odd that Eichiro Oda stereotypes all the gay men in the grandline as hideous Drag queens

however maybe he doesn't

I've been discussing the announcement that Luffy canonically has no sexual attraction to women with another One Piece Fan lately, and while it was never stated that Luffy likes men there's some things I feel worth mentioning

first off is that Luffy loves the Okamas

latest?cb=20150403170535

everyone else finds them creepy and horrible but Luffy thinks their fun and likes them

also, Luffy's not the only character with either an explicit indifference to women sexually and/or strong connection to the Okamas

first off is Crocodile,

maxresdefault.jpg

Emporio Ivankov. Queen of all the Okamas, says he knows a secret about Crocodile, which could be anything...but with Ivankov involved, implies its sexuality related (one theory is that Crocodile is actually a woman but I doubht that)

next up is Bellamy the Hyena

bellamy_pre_timeskip_portrait.png

I dunno much about Bellamy currently but it was confirmed to me that Bellamy never expresses an overt attraction to any women

then there's

katakuri

cahrlotte_katakuri___one_piece_860_by_nightangel35-db39gvt.jpg

the family he's a part of it's apparently common for them to be paired off in arranged marriages because their leader wants them to breed as much as possible...he however does not have a wife

and finally and most debateably, Smoker

4512231-9751141362-vice_.png

this one is most arguable because there's some MINOR shipteases with him and a woman....but mostly purely on her side, and otherwise their relationship seems purely proffessional (there was also a story arc where everyone switched bodies and he was the only character who didn't behave as if his masculinity was threatened when he switched bodies with a woman)

Smoker-in-Tashigis-Body-with-Cigar-One-Piece-589-Anime-Screenshot.png

Ironically all these characters have a stitched up facial scar in common

so my theory is that all these characters are Macho gay men and that the face scarring is meant as coy symbolism to imply that

Mochi, everyone in One Piece save Sanji is asexual.  Didn’t you get the memo?

that's not true

Nami periodically gets flustered by beautiful women, Absolam tried to rape Nami, Lola's on a never ending quest to find a husband, Ussop canonically has a girlfriend

270?cb=20130127225140

Donflamingo was recently confirmed to have fucked a woman and Franky and Brook both also canonically like women

I dunno much about Bellamy currently but it was confirmed to me that Bellamy never expresses an overt attraction to any women

There are over 1200 characters in the series, we'd never get anywhere if Oda stopped to mention every single person's sexual preference.

the family he's a part of it's apparently common for them to be paired off in arranged marriages because their leader wants them to breed as much as possible...he however does not have a wife

She has 85 kids, tons of them are not married yet.

and finally and most debateably, Smoker

idkakFV.png

Seen here, having a night out on the town with Hina.

so my theory is that all these characters are Macho gay men and that the face scarring is meant as coy symbolism to imply that

What about all the other dudes in the show with facial scars? Shanks, Garp, Rayleigh, Coby, Drake, Thatch, Issho, Jabra, Inazuma (who actually is queer, how did you miss that one?), Kohza, Hogback, Moriah, every single zombie on Thriller Bark, Brook, Absalom, Genzo, and probably several more I'm forgetting.

There are over 1200 characters in the series, we'd never get anywhere if Oda stopped to mention every single person's sexual preference.

idkakFV.png

What about all the other dudes in the show with facial scars? Shanks, Garp, Rayleigh, Coby, Drake, Thatch, Issho, Jabra, Inazuma (who actually is queer, how did you miss that one?), Kohza, Hogback, Moriah, every single zombie on Thriller Bark, Brook, Absalom, Genzo, and probably several more I'm forgetting.

fine have it your way every single gay man in One Piece is a Hideous drag queen :|

I would like to point out though that Smoker doesn't seem to want to be with her in that image

Mochi, everyone in One Piece save Sanji is asexual.  Didn’t you get the memo?

LoL....

No.

Here is a list of characters who have shown romantic and/or sexual attractions over the course of the show:

Some spoilers below as I have included short descriptions of characters which are introduced later in the anime or manga.... open tags at your own risk...

Boa Handcock:

Seriously in love with Luffy, wants to marry him and have his children and states as much on multiple occasions much to his chagrin and inconvenience.

Doflamingo:

Numerous sexual innuendos and flirting with women, especially Violet, which Oda confirmed to have actually had a sexual relationship with which is what Doflamingo references in the final battle on

Dressrosa while talking to Violet.

Kyrus:

Obviously sexual for a number of reasons including fathering another main character (Rebecca), and is shown being romantic with his wife in several flashbacks.

Sanji: Self-explanatory

Chopper:

Has several instances recently in the series of which he shows arguably romantic feelings towards certain Minks.

Nami:

Routinely flirts with men as a way to either get what she wants or to distract people.

Usopp:

In love with the lady Kaya before joining the Straw Hats and routinely goes to see her and tell her stories to make her feel better.

Most of the Minks:

Have a strange sexual/romantic attraction to other humans that are not minks (they call them hairless minks).

Brook:

Jokes aside asks to see women's panties on a regular basis among making other lude sexual jokes and comments.

Bartolomeo (not to be confused with the Warlord Kuma):

Has strong romantic like feelings as an innate part of his character towards Luffy and regularly expresses them to a degree that makes other characters uncomfortable (portrayal is in much the same type of "worship" behavior that Sanji is shown displaying towards Nami).

Most of the Okamas and especially Ivankov:

make numerous references, jokes, and flirtations regarding sex and gender.

Kuala:

Shown as being flustered over Sabo.

Violet:

Basically falls in love with Sanji, after using her beauty and sexual flirtation to fuck him over at first.

Momo:

Perverted young Samurai the straw hats start travelling with that uses his cuteness of being a young boy to feel of women's boobs.

Big Maam and most of the Big Maam pirates:

Literally forces her kids to marry and have as many kids as possible to fulfil her dream of a Kingdom inclusive of all people (in her own warped mind that is), including the desire to make them all into Giants.

Begie:

Fathers a child and says and shows romantic affections towards his wife on a regular basis.

Baby 5:

Basically has borderline personality disorder, gets super attached to men easily and is practically a nymphomaniac in both her expressions and actions.

And many more which I don't have the patience to list or describe right now. I could fill at least 3 pages with the number of people who express sexual or romantic attractions/flirtations/commentary in One Piece. It is definitely common enough to make Luffy an oddball in terms of his direct aversion to sexual or romantic behaviour.

Also: mochi[/member] the guy from the manga you really should put that one in spoilers at least! He's brand new to the current manga arc.... people watching the sub and not reading manga haven't even seen him yet.

is he canon?

edit: yep he is

nice to know not all the Okamas look disgusting

I had forgotten about him, but I have seen so much of the show it's not surprising as it is hard to keep track of hundreds of volumes of manga and nearly 1000 episodes of anime at this point. He is indeed beautiful as far as Okama go.

Also, part of what makes the Okama such great characters is that they don't particularly care what other people think about them. It is what makes them a strong representation of lgbt characters in anime, imo, though some might disagree.

mochi[/member]

Your theory about the facial scars being symbolism is rather interesting, I would have never made that connection and I can definitely see the similarity. It's a bit wild, and I doubt it will ever be confirmed but it's a fun theory.

In regards to Crocodile, that is one of the great mysteries of One Piece plot dangled out by Oda but not yet explained (even to current manga arc). Oda does things like this as a routine with revealing hints or smaller details about things sometimes years in advance of actually explaining it.

Some of the most popular theories of what Crocodile's secret that Ivankov knows about are:

1. Probably the most popular is that he was a woman that was turned into a man by Ivankov by request.

* The general reasons for him wanting to be turned into a man vary widely. It is pretty much consensus that Ivankov only turns people's genders for two reasons: they are threatening (and are thus asking for it by forcing him to use his powers in defence), or they request him to do so as he is never shown changing someone's sex against their will without having a justifiable reason (such as defending the Okamas from the crazy dude trying to kill them in New Kama Land. There are issues with this one though because the picture we see of him as a child shows a rather masculine looking boy.

2. Second is probably that he had a gay lover/partner or had an Okama as a lover/partner.

* It is inferred that Ivankov knows about this secret that Crocodile doesn't want others to know because he knew him many years prior when Crocodile was still a rookie. There are no obvious cannon problems with this one although it is pure speculation.

3. Third is probably that he is related to someone in the Revolutionary Army or is a "D.".

* Thus he does not want anyone big to know about it (such as the other Warlords, 4 Emporers, or World government) as it could get him executed or just generally make his life and business practices much harder.

4. Fourth is probably that he is specifically related to Luffy and is something like his long-lost brother which Luffy doesn't know about and Crocodile didn't know until Ivankov brought them together in impel down.

* This one is particularly interesting but also weird as it hinges on the fact that Crocodile's behaviour and attitude toward Luffy mysteriously change entirely when Ivankov starts talking to them. He does not appear to begrudgingly help them but is actually shown as intentionally helping them although somewhat concerned originally by Ivankov. And it is due to his realization that Luffy is his brother as he learns that Luffy is also Dragon's son and puts the dots together. Why Ivankov would not bring this up to Luffy though is a bit of a mystery if that is indeed the case. Thought Ivankov does seem extremely surprised when Luffy reveals that he is Dragon's son himself as he didn't know.

* It is worth noting that in the Japanese anime and manga, Ivankov has a special honorific for Luffy "-boy" as in "Luffy-boy" with boy being pronounced in English. This is a bit peculiar as he only uses this term with him and 3 others in the entire series with Crocodile mysteriously being one of them "Croco-boy" the other two are Bon Kurei and Sanji (whom he hilariously refers to as Candy-boy). Leading to the theory that he only uses this as a term of endearment towards people whose family he knows personally (e.g. they are both sons of Dragon or Crocodile is also a son of one of the Revolutionary Army's Commanders or something).

5. Fifth is probably that Crocodile asked Ivankov to use his powers and make him more masculine (bigger beefier dude).

* This theory holds that he was originally a very dainty thin or waify "boy" of a young man. And Ivankov generously granted his request. Note some have stated that this is aging and since we know that canonically Crocodile viewed the execution of Gold Roger that puts him somewhere in his late 20s or early 30s at least. Most suggest it is not ageing however but rather body sculpting and thus Ivankov "juiced him" or gave him steroids lol.

idkakFV.png

This last one is also a good point lol. There are a ton of people with facial scars. And smoker is most definitely straight as per the manga. Oda does not goe out of his way to generally mention a character's sexuality unless it contributes to their personality, the story, or makes sense in context. So many characters could be said to be "unconfirmed" while many others have definitely confirmed romantic or sexual attractions to one sex or the other. Curiously I don't think there are any characters that have been shown as liking both though...