UnevenEdge

Girl rescued from free fall

1938 Packard

Fox Radio news reported that a teenage girl fell from an amusement ride and was caught in mid free fall by a crowd of people who held their arms out for her.  She has no major injuries.

I don't get the mechanics of that.  How fast was she falling, how much did she weigh and how was even a group of people able to stop her fall without breaking their own arms?  I can only guess it has something to do with very meticulous weight distribution. 

The crowd should get some sort of community hero award.

Fox Radio news reported that a teenage girl fell from an amusement ride and was caught in mid free fall by a crowd of people who held their arms out for her.  She has no major injuries.

I don't get the mechanics of that.  How fast was she falling, how much did she weigh and how was even a group of people able to stop her fall without breaking their own arms?  I can only guess it has something to do with very meticulous weight distribution. 

They broke the fall probably by moving down with her at a slower velocity gradually decreasing the rate of movement as they go down, basically mitigating the momentum. To clarify, the force is decreased because they move in the same direction instead of against. And having multiple people divides the force of impact among everyone making contact, reducing the force put into any single person. Nothing especially metoculous about it. To break an arm, you'd have to be the sole idiot moving in the opposite direction of the girl.

If you don't understand basic physics, you really shouldn't pretend to be a global warming expert.

made up story

there's your answer

Like Naraku said, it's just impulse.  The change in an object's momentum is equal to the force acting on the object multiplied by the length of time it acts.  For any given collision, like a person in free-fall coming to a stop or a car crash, the change in momentum is a fixed value: you're going from your current velocity to 0.  As a result, lengthening the time over which an impact occurs inversely decreases the force experienced.  People's arms have way more give than concrete, so the girl felt far less force and was able to survive.  The same principle is what makes a car's airbags effective.

Like Naraku said, it's just impulse.  The change in an object's momentum is equal to the force acting on the object multiplied by the length of time it acts.  For any given collision, like a person in free-fall coming to a stop or a car crash, the change in momentum is a fixed value: you're going from your current velocity to 0.  As a result, lengthening the time over which an impact occurs inversely decreases the force experienced.  People's arms have way more give than concrete, so the girl felt far less force and was able to survive.  The same principle is what makes a car's airbags effective.

Seems similar to the car's shock absorbers.  I see your point.