UnevenEdge

I'm a chem major, ask me stuff!

CaptainStarwind

How often do you make meth?

I don't need to make any myself.  My college town is unofficially considered the meth capital of central Pennsylvania.

And how much are you selling it for?

They never usually get past the cooking stage before their houses blow up and they end up looking like Jackson Pollock painted the sidewalk.

A friend of ours became a pharmacist, you can get a good job fast if you aren't tied down to a specific area.  Crazy amounts of money, he is getting 90k a year, and after five he said something about it being raised to 135k a year. Right now he has been there for 3 years.

Yeah my friend says he won't have any problem finding a job once he graduates.  I was considering pharmacy when I initially went to college, but decided against it at the end of my freshman year.  My focus is inorganic chemistry now.

Uhh...that mean you create battery acid?

You mean like car battery acid?  That's just sulfuric acid, so yeah I guess I could make that.  Although it's used with such frequency that it's easier just to buy it.  It's like $380 for half a liter of it, which in the long run isn't that expensive.

This DOES remind me of the one time I accidentally made TNT in lab, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

did you get ever to work with dimethymercury?

or methymercury?

You mean dimethylmercury and methylmercury?  No, I can't say I have.  The safety officer for our school is a real stickler for anything that might seem slightly dangerous, and pretty much doesn't let anybody order chemicals that sound like they might kill you. 

What are your thoughts on civil engineers, be it the students themselves or the subject they study?

Actually, up through my sophomore year of high school, I had wanted to go to college and study to be either a structural engineer or an architect.  It wasn't until I took AP Chemistry that I became seriously interested in Chemistry and decided to go to college for it. 

As for my opinion on it, I believe that civil engineering as a subject is important.  We live in a society dominated by artificial structures, be it structures for transportation (such as bridges or roads), structures for living (buildings),  or other structures (dams, for example).  In making these structures, there are so many things that have to be taken into account: What is the foundation like in the area?  Is the area earthquake prone?  Does the area flood easily?  And then perhaps there are special considerations that one needs to abide by when building the structure: perhaps they want the structure to complement the natural landscape, so how do you build the structure to do that?  All of these things are very important, and a slip up in even one area can have drastic consequences in the future (the New Orleans levees in 2005 come to mind).  As such, I find civil engineering to be important.

As for students?  Harder to say.  I haven't had much contact with Engineering or Physics students, as my school has two separate buildings for the sciences: Chemistry and Biology are in one building, while Math, Physics, and Engineering are in the other.  From what contact I have had, they seem nice.  I definitely don't have a beef against them or anything.

You mean dimethylmercury and methylmercury?  No, I can't say I have.  The safety officer for our school is a real stickler for anything that might seem slightly dangerous, and pretty much doesn't let anybody order chemicals that sound like they might kill you.

I always forget that L

its pretty fun stuff hella dangerous but it makes some neat stuff happen

what do they let you do

I always forget that L

its pretty fun stuff hella dangerous but it makes some neat stuff happen

what do they let you do

Well the research I'm currently doing is mostly spectroscopy based, analyzing different things with LIBS.  Before that I did organic synthesis work, which was okay, though a bit boring.  My hopes for graduate school are that I can do Inorganic Synthesis; I took a couple labs while here for that and I loved it.

What do they have us do?  Well, the intro labs for inorganic are very theoretical now, or the professor just demonstrates the reaction for the class.  I remember that we weren't allowed to do any reactions with white phosphorous because, A. It was "too dangerous" for sophomores to be handling, and B. They were nearly out and the safety officer wouldn't let us order any more.  The organic labs were a bit better with actually doing lab work, though they never worked with anything that was flammable or could easily explode.

The higher level labs were a bit better, though a lot of it had to be done in secret.  I did a lab where I took an gas phase IR of acetylene, but we couldn't tell anyone we had acetylene because we weren't supposed to even have it.

So all in all, the chem department at my school is kinda fucked up.

• 4 weeks later...

If I mix 20 kg of potassium chloride with 8 gallons of hot nitric acid, how many people can I dead?

What grade of nitric acid?  I'm assuming off the top of my head that you mean 70%, since that's lab standard grade, but you also have fuming nitric acid which is 90%.

Nitric acid is nasty stuff.  I worked my sophomore year on a nitration mechanism involving nitric acid and sulfuric acid and it wasn't fun.

• 2 months later...

Will it ever be cost effective to synthesize gold? From my understanding gold was created from star dust being compressed then expelled during a nova. A nova is essentially Nuclear fission, so knowing the elements that make up star dust, would it be possible to make gold, and at a cost efficient price? As well would the resulted gold be somewhat moot due to any lingering radioactive residue.

Not remotely.  You can definitely transmute gold atoms from lead (or more easily, bismuth) using a particle accelerator, but you'll literally produce no more than a handful, and probably won't even be able to pick out the non-radioactive isotope gold-197.  This article cites a production cost of a quadrillion dollars per ounce.  So yeah, go dig it up. :P

Not remotely.  You can definitely transmute gold atoms from lead (or more easily, bismuth) using a particle accelerator, but you'll literally produce no more than a handful, and probably won't even be able to pick out the non-radioactive isotope gold-197.  This article cites a production cost of a quadrillion dollars per ounce.  So yeah, go dig it up. :P

Pretty much this.  Turning lead into gold is possible but is widely cost inefficient. 

And even if it could be done cost effectively, all that would do is drive the price of gold down significantly, at which point it would no longer be worth it.  The price of lead would probably go up, though.  But don't quote me on that; I know chemistry, not economics.

Speaking of which, I graduated undergrad last Saturday, so I guess I'm just a chemist now.