UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Nichijou 1-3
Wonder Egg Priority 2/3
To Your Eternity 14/15
Holy Knight 1
The iDOLM@STER Series Concept Movie 2021 『VOY@GER』

Pretty nice stack. Holy Knight was the unknown instigator that really annoyed me, to quote the ratings post. Not only did I actually buy it, but I even preordered the new BD from Media Blasters, expecting the same wonderful kusoge experience I remembered from Crunchyroll. But then I watched it and didn't like it as much, on top of screwing up actually giving it a rating. Expect a redo (or a re-redo, I guess) of that in the thread at some future date.

Anyway, go big or go home.

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Episode 4: "Everyday life, really full of joy!"

Spoiler

It's been a while, hasn't it? Another while... but it's no big deal. Just another one to throw on the pile. Anyway, the Starlight Stage mobile game is now six years old. There was an anniversary event, this year themed to space, and I liked it very much; mostly the outfits with their tight clothing and conspicuous lack of breathing apparatus. The song's alright, but I mostly like the crunchy bassline and strange percussive tapping once it gets past the intro. And to celebrate, they even came out with a PC version of the game... which has almost no gameplay whatsoever. Huh. You can download it if you go about making an account with DMM, a Japanese game service, but I recommend going with a phone if you're a new player.

So, anyway, episode recap time. This one starts with the three idiots watching the tape of their performance at Mika's live, which itself is fired through the lens of a video camera. It's time to make a PR video! They're going to be doing short interviews with all of the Cinderella Project girls, although some of them might be hard to work with. To start off, Mio takes the handycam and gets some prime shots of the Cinderella Project office. And who better to suddenly barge in but Miku, who's sleepy but suddenly transitions into idol mode like a pro. It's wonderfully dorky. And then we head downstairs to Miku's lesson, which also features Rika and Miria. The former tries to act older again, even singing Mika's solo, which is pretty cute. After using their boundless energy to mug for the camera, Uzuki, Rin and Mio leave to try and track down the other girls. They find Kirari in a big kaiju suit, but somehow still keeping up her passionate cute demeanor, as well as Anzu, who manages to break free of the beast and run away to laze out. And outside, a planned trip to the cafe gets derailed when the main three spot Chieri and Kanako. The latter made sweets, which they try out, before she passes along a cryptic note from Ranko, which will apparently be how they track her down for an interview. "A device that catches souls"? How romantic.

The best part of the episode comes next, where what should be a pretty underwhelming visit with Minami and Anastasia, from here on abbreviated as Anya, suddenly turns into an athletic showcase with Minamers in her usual lacrosse garb and Anya, as sinful as it may sound, dressed as a cheerleader. It gets intense, and Anya's seemingly stilted Japanese talk makes it even cuter. Nothing but smiles here. And it helps that Minami is able to provide advice on where to meet Ranko: in the garden, at the fountain, near the voice that tells all the good children (adjective not mine) to go home. Yeah, turns out the soul-catching device was the camera they had all along. We get the usual chunni bullshit from her before the sun sets and the main three head back to the office. All that's left to find are Riina, whom they manage to get a short interview with that exposes her poser status, and Anzu, hiding under the sofa. But Kirari is able to get her out with a Super Happy-Happy Candy Shower, a surprisingly clutch moment of sakuga for a show that embarrassed itself right at the start of the last episode. Too bad all Anzu wants to do is talk about how she doesn't wanna work, followed by springing a trap on the other idols and barring herself in a room with Miku's stuff she needs to take home. Yoof.

To end the episode, who else but TakeP returns, with Chihiro in his party. He has an announcement to make: CD debuts! Anya and Minami are getting one, as well as Uzuki, Rin and Mio. How exciting. Now, in lieu of the usual rambling, I'm going to keep things brief.

Idol roundup:

• Mika Jogasaki: 17, Passion-type. Dirty gyaru, and you know it. Loves her sister very much, and even appeared in a song with her. The only SSR of hers I have is her CinFes card, where she's posing on the Brooklyn Bridge. You know, she wasn't even in this episode, but I really should've included her in the previous post. Sorry about that.

Music reviews:

• Nothing! Small wonder. As a compromise, here's the MV of "Seikan Sekai", the new anniversary song. I've linked a reupload of it rather than the official one because it's locked to Japan.

Gratuitous CG meme of the week month?: This could be sus but you playin'.

Rated TV-G.

Edited by Blatch
Various small edits, including fixin' the text. Ergh.
  • Like 1