UnevenEdge

do you guys think this place will ever be as lively as IB or older asmb was

quebecelegy

this place already has more traffic than the other place did toward the end, which isn't saying a lot because toward the end there wasn't a whole lot going on over there.

but we probably won't reach quite the level of asmb at its height, because then they had a major cable network telling people to go there on-air.

Also we have to make sure we're on a stable server before we go for any kind of large-scale trolling for more members.

But I was just saying to volunteers that my current plan is more to slowly build.  I don't want to go out and spam the link everywhere.  Just kind of target individuals rather than groups, let word-of-mouth take its course.  We'll see what happens.

So far we started out small, got a big bump on the Proboard version of this, then started the SMF, lost a few of those folks, built things back up again a little bit, then went through a period where it was steadily falling again.  Then we started a gradual build, which is where we are now.  Just very very gradually/slowly we're gaining activity.

And right now we're doing literally zero to draw attention to the place (other than me posting links on my FB page, but I think most of those people are already here, or just not coming).

Eventually (actually hopefully pretty soon) we'll be working on SEO stuff, targeting specific fangroups with media news, starting an email thing that people can sign up for to remind them that we're here/let them know what new news has been posted, if I can get a game going, and get the PBP section up, that's a whole new reason for people to show up regularly and hang out, and gives us more specific groups to target when we're ready to do that.

so right now it's literally only word of mouth, that's the only real way people can find out about this place.

eventually we'll be showing up hopefully more in search engines, and we'll actually be out there inviting people to check the place out.

I'm not hip on 2012 cuz that was during my drop off time but i'm not really sure we could ever hit the post rate of, lets say, 2004-2007ish [asmb]... IB anyways. Then again, memory is a strange beast, so idk.

I have faith that we will gain more momentum as the gears turn tho :)

Guest The Hound

Probably not

most message boards are just dropping a bit

different times now

This.

Eventually we can just move to a subreddit if things get really drastic.

But I doubt we'll ever have to worry about that. We come from a generation of internet users that grew up on forums, and will most likely stay on forums.

Reddit isn't really a forum, its a bulletin board in the fullest sense.

Its slightly better now than it was in 2012 when I left, but that could just be because most of us are riding a nostalgia buzz, which when it wears off could lead to a significant reduction of posts.

That said more old users are returning and the board is a work in progress so while I don't anticipate things getting to where they were 8 years ago, things are likely to improve beyond what they currently are.

Guest The Hound

Why would anyone want that? Fuck, this place can barely handle 12 people.

lmao

the worst part is there's a hidden thing in the admin panel that's essentially an iframe version of the entire forum that loads instantly on every click.

but apparently according to a certain user i know nothing about anything on the internet, and no nothing about it totally is but apparently isn't stupid fucking cloudflare's fault

oh and this iframe bypasses cloudflare.

so

again i don't know anything  -_'

Guest The Hound

well all of the oldies are starting to filter in, so AS BIG? probably not-as SUCCESSFUL? I'd like to think so!

I mean... You're here now, and a few other people are apparently on their way. So... it's working out for now.

Its slightly better now than it was in 2012 when I left, but that could just be because most of us are riding a nostalgia buzz, which when it wears off could lead to a significant reduction of posts.

That said more old users are returning and the board is a work in progress so while I don't anticipate things getting to where they were 8 years ago, things are likely to improve beyond what they currently are.

i think that may be true for some of the newer signups. however, many, if not most of our most active users here, were still also actively posting when the [as] board switched a little over a year ago. of course there were some drop offs with that switch... but then there was also return users who stuck around and are here now after the death of that place. so in that case, i think the nostalgia phase would have worn off about a year ago.