UnevenEdge

Ninja Kamui releases 2 minute preview ahead of February 10 premiere

Jman

I've only seen the Toonami on the Green trailer and the 1:30 version of the dubbed one they released. From those alone, this feels like a show that's guaranteed to have an entry on this page, but will be entertaining as all hell regardless, a la Black Lagoon or Akudama Drive (while on a lower tier than those because, y'know, Toonami original). I'll probably enjoy it.

Edited by PokeNirvash

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

I've seen the first two episodes (in Japanese actually because that's what they sent)

Here's my thoughts

https://toonamifaithful.com/testing/ninja-kamui-preview/

If it can just get through its run without huge stretches of being boring, it can take the crown for best original thus far. That’s where every original so far has blown it, it reaches a point where I don’t care and the characters just drone on. At least mindless violence is something to have a laugh about. 

19 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I've only seen the Toonami on the Green trailer and the 1:30 version of the dubbed one they released. From those alone, this feels like a show that's guaranteed to have an entry on this page, but will be entertaining as all hell regardless, a la Black Lagoon or Akudama Drive (while on a lower tier than those because, y'know, Toonami original). I'll probably enjoy it.

Real ones watched Akudama Drive for Hoodlum, this entry is all wrong. 

I think what people seem to be noticing is just how generic the whole thing is.  It feels like the sort of anime made by someone who has issues with anime focusing on teens and twenty-somethings, as well as the sort of anime that seems made by someone who finds certain anime tropes more obnoxious than endearing.  

Basically DeMarco.  It's actually kind of funny to see that someone from Dorohedoro was involved in this, considering just how endearingly odd that show is vs. the rather generic setup here, not to mention Dorohedoro is clearly written by someone who likes girls that get physical vs. here where the only woman mentioned is the guy's dead wife.  

While we only have the previews and trailer to go off of, it feels that DeMarco has essentially made this "superior anime" that seems generic as hell, but generic in the way that someone who watched two minutes of Akira and Ninja Scroll would made a parody of anime in an issue of X-Men or something.  Congratulations DeMarco, you're kind of making me wish you saved the money and dubbed Chained Soldier.  At least Chained Soldier is kind of endearing in its goofiness (think Tenchi but without the baggage and with someone who simped for Esdeath).

Edited by Jman

Well, it is from the creator of Akame, so the Esdeath comparison checks out. (And, being one who considers her a "problematic fave", I might actually check out Chained Soldier at some point.)

As for Ninja Kamui and its genericness, I wasn't really expecting it to be a super-original take on shinobi anime like my own hypothetical effort (yes, I know, blatant advertisement), but as long as its brand of generic doesn't annoy me in practice as badly as Shinobi no Ittoki annoyed me with its (yes, I know, dead horse) , it'll be one of those aspects of the production that proves a non-factor in my final thoughts.

7 hours ago, Jman said:

I think what people seem to be noticing is just how generic the whole thing is.  It feels like the sort of anime made by someone who has issues with anime focusing on teens and twenty-somethings, as well as the sort of anime that seems made by someone who finds certain anime tropes more obnoxious than endearing.  

Basically DeMarco.  It's actually kind of funny to see that someone from Dorohedoro was involved in this, considering just how endearingly odd that show is vs. the rather generic setup here, not to mention Dorohedoro is clearly written by someone who likes girls that get physical vs. here where the only woman mentioned is the guy's dead wife.  

This is something I noticed with almost all of Crunchyroll’s original anime (all of them, not just the Toonami partnership ones), they feel like they are just there to fill in a quota. They don’t have that “western stink” that a truly fake anime would, but they are just entirely uninspired and leave no impact. Like someone opened a Make-an-Anime kit and rushed through it just to finish. The only sliver of deviation seen is when Demarco is involved he removes the fanservice element. 

Even if Ninja Kamui is enjoyable, I expect it to be forgotten as soon as it ends. Good action sequences can make the ride fun, but it that’s all it has to offer, no one will remember it long. 

On 2/7/2024 at 2:21 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

This is something I noticed with almost all of Crunchyroll’s original anime (all of them, not just the Toonami partnership ones), they feel like they are just there to fill in a quota. They don’t have that “western stink” that a truly fake anime would, but they are just entirely uninspired and leave no impact. Like someone opened a Make-an-Anime kit and rushed through it just to finish. The only sliver of deviation seen is when Demarco is involved he removes the fanservice element. 

Even if Ninja Kamui is enjoyable, I expect it to be forgotten as soon as it ends. Good action sequences can make the ride fun, but it that’s all it has to offer, no one will remember it long. 

Why do you think Crunchyroll mothballed their Originals line the second it was feasible to do so?  

It feels so paint by the numbers because it feels like people just go “this is what anime is” rather than making a story and making it interpreted by this Japanese crew to adapt their own flair.  Do you have something interesting to say or talk about?  If not, then we’re only here because Crunchyroll still doesn’t want to play with you.

• Like 1