UnevenEdge

Atheism

Insipid

5 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

I hope we make a comeback beyond being lumped with neckbeards because Christians and Catholics alike never stopped being harmful cunts.

Well, Christopher Hitchens book on Henry Kissinger recently became a bestseller on amazon again when the bastard died. That's something, right? I'd much rather be associated with socially awkward neckbeards than ancient pederasts anyway.

I stay far away from Twitter, but I opened it up the evening Norman Lear died.

The very first thing I see on my screen was a bunch of antisemitic shit cheering his death because, get this; his comedy wasn’t fucking nice to Christianity.

I’ve tried to tone down my god-bashing a bit out of maturity, but these people really know how to make me wanna burn bibles all over again. They’ve always been heinous pieces of shit and I wish I could’ve crucified Christ myself. FUCK being accepting, they never accept anyone else ever so fuck asking me to do the same.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Lynnrael said:

You know what's really funny? When you say you're agnostic atheist and random ass people get all upset about it because they want them to be mutually exclusive for some reason

The reason being that acknowledging one can not know the existence of a deity makes it logically impossible to deny that deity's existence.  You're can't both at the same time, but you can evolve between the two.

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The reason being that acknowledging one can not know the existence of a deity makes it logically impossible to deny that deity's existence.  You're can't both at the same time, but you can evolve between the two.

atheism isn't necessarily a positive assertion that gods don't exist, merely a description of a position in which one doesn't believe in a god or gods. one can accurately consider themselves an atheist from the position of "i don't know for certain, but i have no reason to believe or act as if any deity exists". 

agnosticism also covers more topics than just the existence of a god or gods. there's the question of a soul, for example, which one can be agnostic towards. i don't feel that simply saying I'm an atheist would be accurate enough because I'm agnostic on the matter of those other topics. 

of course, i also use these labels decriptively, not definitively

Edited by Lynnrael
auto fill failed me
  • Like 1

Describing one’s beliefs is always going to be difficult, but that’s why it’s especially perilous to use existing labels when up against a more rigidly defined belief.  I really only point it out because a good many atheists are academic intellectuals who adhere to a more precise definition of the term.  It’s part of their identity, much in the same way highly systematic faiths like Catholicism, Islam or Hinduism tend to be toward their adherents.  Suggesting that God can exist independent of one’s perception would be offensive to a scientist simply by being irrational.