UnevenEdge

Attack On Titan The Final Chapters, Part 1: the "Say Goodbye To Daylight" Re-Discussion!!!

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, I too was particularly captivated by the gritty action mystery vibe of seasons 1-3. I do think this part has been very well done, but by design it's pretty different and a more "challenging watch" since everything is designed to make it harder to "root" for the "side" we've been following from the beginning even though overall Marley still sucks ass.

True, I honestly cant comment on the exact political message they were trying to convey because there were significant sections I completely glossed over. The general vibe seemed to be mainly about creeping fascism. I actually think it's cool that they introduced more challenging and ambiguous story lines. It's one of the reasons I want to re-watch it. Apparently the underlying message has been misunderstood and misappropriated by the typical internet chuds.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

The anime' 'release schedule' was what really got me, so I just finished the manga instead and honestly, I think that is the best way to take this story in. I am not a big fan, and am very critical of AoT, but I feel that reading the manga is the best way to enjoy the story. 

I wonder if the author has any thoughts on the best way to experience the story or if he feels anything got lost in translation along the way. There's definitely a risk of that happening when you wade into overt political territory.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I wonder if the author has any thoughts on the best way to experience the story or if he feels anything got lost in translation along the way. There's definitely a risk of that happening when you wade into overt political territory.

Not sure on Isayama's thoughts on that but the reason I prefer the manga is that you can just read it as you want to, and not have to wait for a studio to decide they are ready to produce/release the material. It is all there already haha 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's really funny that 2 weeks ago, we pretty much said NOTHING about FLCL: Grunge, but this discussion is ROCKING!

Uh oh, they're in the Coordinate!

They're rebounding a bit with the line-up too so thats reassuring. I mean it's nothing groundbreaking but at least it's new stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

I was about to say, Mugen Train trailer! 

But yea, it should have been done as a final cour and not slow fed to us. I read the manga a while ago and do not like how they have chosen to air the anime haha just my opinion. 

Would have loved a full last season of eps but weren't there not enough chapters left to fill out a full cour or two for that?

Even though I couldn't read the details due to avoiding spoilers (hell, I'm still avoiding them since we've still got the last part to go!), I do remember there was a ton of theorizing about how they'd choose to animate and release the ending due to the amount of content left and heavy amount of "action animation work" supposedly needed (things like that brutal port battle at the end of last season, the large scale scenes in this part and supposedly big ones still coming up in the finale, plus animating the rumbling itself).

So I guess two "movies" kind of makes sense.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Would have loved a full last season of eps but weren't there not enough chapters left to fill out a full cour or two for that?

Even though I couldn't read the details due to avoiding spoilers (hell, I'm still avoiding them since we've still got the last part to go!), I do remember there was a ton of theorizing about how they'd choose to animate and release the ending due to the amount of content left and heavy amount of "action animation work" supposedly needed (things like that brutal port battle at the end of last season, the large scale scenes in this part and supposedly big ones still coming up in the finale, plus animating the rumbling itself).

So I guess two "movies" kind of makes sense.

I do not think there was enough material for a full standard cour but it would have been better to release the finale as a final single movie or several episodes. IDK I just do not like the execution haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

THIS is why streaming insanely popular shows as exclusives is a terrible idea: streaming is limited by bandwidth availability, while cable and satellite are pretty much limitless.

Of course, foreign-language media such as anime have other challenges, too.

Yea, servers were crashed so I did not watch it until this afternoon. Just finished it now. 

All in all, I thought the anime adaptation of the ending was better in a cinematic sense. But I still prefer the manga over the anime in general. though, I feel that way about most stories: I prefer ingesting my stories through manga haha. While I am not the biggest AoT fan, and am critical of many aspects of the story, there were many things that I thought the anime ending did better than the manga. I loved the OST in the finale. The music was definitely giving goosebumps many times through the final chapters. Many scenes were extended or elaborated on and made the ending much more impactful and easier to follow, even if it seemed that they were basically spelling some things out for the viewer. There were also bits of dialog that were slightly changed or added that I thought made the ending much more understandable and flow better. 

There were a few scenes that were still just a bit cringy, as when I read them in the manga, but that is okay, I tend to find some of those in most manga and anime that I read/watch.

I prefer the animation (and the illustrations in the manga) earlier on in the story. But the animation in the final episode was stellar good!

Of course, I preferred if the finale was not dripped to us. I wish it were done as a short cour or just a single 2–3-hour long movie, but I am also glad that MAPPA spent the time to put some effort and pizazz into it! 

The final credit and post credit scene that follow the last couple pages of the manga were done particularly well IMO and was honestly my favorite thing about this adaptation. 

IDK, after it is all said and done, I am as about as satisfied with this adaptation finale as I could expect to be. It was not terrible, and already not being a huge AoT fan I would give it a solid 7.5-8 out of 10. Definitely give it watch whether you like the show or not: It is one of the most popular anime from the last 10 years and has become such a large part of the community. Plus, there was a lot of effort put into it! 

Cannot believe that after 10 years, it is over!