UnevenEdge

Attack On Titan The Final Chapters, Part 1: the "Say Goodbye To Daylight" Re-Discussion!!!

Just now, CorbeauKarasu said:

I don't think I noticed that Ramsay's hand had been cut off in this encounter. i saw a post about shows considered so interesting that one would watch them more than once...but watching shows more than once is how you gain real perspective on things

I love how many things you can pick up on in re-watches of these rare shows like this one, FMA/FMAB, Babylon 5, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, I can't believe we're down to just one more "movie" and it's over.

Overall loved this series and gonna miss it.

TBH I completely lost the thread about midway through and it felt kind of disjointed to me, but it's always solidly ranked on MAL which makes me think i really need to sit down and re-watch.

In your opinion does the the plot make sense all the way through and is the writing solid? I feel like I could be missing something great.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, saito34 said:

TBH I completely lost the thread about midway through and it felt kind of disjointed to me, but it's always solidly ranked on MAL which makes me think i really need to sit down and re-watch.

In your opinion does the the plot make sense all the way through and is the writing solid? I feel like I could be missing something great.

I think it does make sense and the writing is generally very good. It's also still really exciting and intriguing even on re-watch in my opinion, since the tone and action animation are so well realized right from the start along with the mysteries, even despite the show's age. Plenty of things to pick up on in a re-watch too.

Seasons 1-3 are super tight and I think even though it IS a big shift with season 4, it's not out of nowhere, even the evolution of the story away from survival against the titans toward the politics and war of "human vs human" was gradually becoming more present as the titan reveals played out, even if we hadn't realized the extent of it yet or Marley's existence. You'll certainly have an advantage being one step ahead already knowing a lot of things, but I think it'll also be less disjointed for you not having to wait those few years between seasons 1/2 and then being able to go right from Eren experiencing Grisha's memories to season 4 without the big breaks we had to take. One thing that I guess helped me was that I re-watched seasons 1-3 a couple of times before season 4 started both on my own and by watching a bunch of reactors go through the show on youtube (mainly the ones doing the dub).

I still overall really liked this challenging twist in storyline begun with season 4, even if I think overall I preferred the more "rootable" gritty epicness of seasons 1-3.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Episodes 1 and 80 tied together well! I would certainly say that, while I never would have predicted the direction the show went in in Season 4, this encounter made it make perfect sense.

• Like 2

I think it does make sense and the writing is generally very good.

Even the evolution of the story away from survival against the titans toward the politics and war of "human vs human" was gradually becoming more present as the titan reveals played out, even if we hadn't realized the extent of it yet or Marley's existence. You'll certainly have an advantage being one step ahead already knowing a lot of things, but I think it'll also be less disjointed for you not having to wait those few years between seasons 1/2 and then being able to go right from Eren experiencing Grisha's memories to season 4 without the big breaks we had to take. One thing that I guess helped me was that I re-watched seasons 1-3 a couple of times before season 4 started both on my own and by watching a bunch of reactors go through the show on youtube (mainly the ones doing the dub).

I still really liked this challenging twist in storyline begun with season 4, even if I think overall I preferred the more "rootable" gritty epicness of seasons 1-3.

Yeah the gaps and breaks between seasons were a huge factor. I don't know if there's an anime less suited for long breaks between seasons. It really screwed with the overall cohesion and made the tonal shifts and twists feel even more disorienting. I was really captivated by the the gritty, mystery vibe present in the earlier seasons, so when they switched it up I was genuinely disappointed. It seemed like the elements I enjoyed most were kind of intentionally de-emphasized. But now that it's all said and done and the show has maintained it's solid critical reception, I definitely want to give it another shot.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Episodes 1 and 80 tied together well! I would certainly say that, while I never would have predicted the direction the show went in in Season 4, this encounter made it make perfect sense.

Cool, so I'm not alone in my surprise at the abrupt change of direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

7 episodes?

Ironically it will end up being the same length as Mugen Train!

I was about to say, Mugen Train trailer! 

But yea, it should have been done as a final cour and not slow fed to us. I read the manga a while ago and do not like how they have chosen to air the anime haha just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Yeah the gaps and breaks between seasons were a huge factor. I don't know if there's an anime less suited for long breaks between seasons. It really screwed with the overall cohesion and made the tonal shifts and twists feel even more disorienting. I was really captivated by the the gritty, mystery vibe present in the earlier seasons, so when they switched it up I was genuinely disappointed. It seemed like the elements I enjoyed most were kind of intentionally de-emphasized. But now that it's all said and done and the show has maintained it's solid critical reception, I definitely want to give it another shot.

Yeah, I too was particularly captivated by the gritty action mystery vibe of seasons 1-3. I do think this part has been very well done, but by design it's pretty different and a more "challenging watch" since everything is designed to make it harder to "root" for the "side" we've been following from the beginning even though overall Marley still sucks ass.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, saito34 said:

The anime' 'release schedule' was what really got me, so I just finished the manga instead and honestly, I think that is the best way to take this story in. I am not a big fan, and am very critical of AoT, but I feel that reading the manga is the best way to enjoy the story.