UnevenEdge

“The Venture Bros: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart” Discussion

Just something for the Friday night airing on [as].

I’m just gonna dump my Toonzone review(s) from before and leave it at that.

Spoiler

What was once is now lost

Yet could never die

[The Venture Bros: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart]

*submitted not long after digital release*

The past few hours staying up late has been a complete whirlwind. I was not prepared.

The revise of No Vacancy reminded me of the show I fell in love with all those years ago.

So much was cut (fuck you, Warner. Fuuuuuck you.) from this film. And yet, mysteries I’ve been following for decades... just out there now. Theory became reality.

They’ve been treading this ground just last season, but this was so much more. This is really how it ends.

Just days ago, because I saw Phantom Limb in one of the trailers, I had a silly thought that maybe they would revisit him. What a goddamn idiot I was to even care the slightest about Phantom Limb.

Doc & Jackson lamented having less Brock for this movie. One of the most satisfying moments for me from this entire flick was Samson sticking up for Rusty. 

Of course there was always love and loyalty there, and that was all brushed off by OSI laughter. I don’t know why I consider that A definitive closer for Brock. “Operation PROM” is obviously going nowhere. It’s just, full circle. Brock started out from the beginning as the killing machine reasonably not taking Doc seriously. In that moment, faith was placed onto Rusty. It felt good. It felt meaningful.

Hank goes through his own trials, as to be expected. Him, along with Orpheus being Orpheus was just the kind of humor I was looking for. And even that reached a heartfelt resolution.

All of Hank’s lovable imaginary personas, something he had to let go. Was time for him to grow up. And for the silly cape man to teach him this as well.

I honestly thought Monarch was going to die. And it’s scary how prepared I was for such to happen. Like saving the day would mean he’d have to pay his dues.

As I’ve said, theory became reality here. No loose ends. It’s all over and my brain’s still long exploded.

I’m not selling this the best way, and I’ll touch on this some more soon. I’m probably gonna watch this movie like five more times in less than a week. Sorry to dump this way.

Until then,

Go Team Venture.

*One week later*

Got my physical copy just today!

I flipped on the commentary and it was so nice hearing Doc & Jackson shoot the breeze about this series again. Even when it’s the end, it won’t be the last time they’ll talk about it. They’ve made that very much clear.

Creators hashed out the odd fascination with Brick Frog (we didn’t get any Scare Bear for that matter) and it’s hilarious how dismissive they are of him. The best thing really was having Phantom Limb and all those guys be fanboys for a sec.

The scene with Brock & Red Death getting into it was something that made the rounds in general. It inflates Brock’s status as a warrior one last time, only Brock is honest enough to give Red Death some credit.

Red Death was more calm and comedic than usual. Think that was the right move. You can have another scene where he shows off a blood thirst...... or you can just say “fuck it. Let’s make him a horse.”

Bobbi St. Simone & Debbie St. Simone were both endearing new leads to explore. Both had an equal part in cleaning up two loose ends pivotal to the world of Venture Bros.

And to that point: Both did so subversively enough to where it fits with the ultimate picture and the very status quo of this series.

By the time you’re finally introduced to Bobbi, you really felt she was always there. In fact, she was.

Where as Rusty (and Jonas Venture Sr. before him) always dabbled into grey areas, Bobbi St. Simone is only upfront in telling both the boys, and the audience, that she’s not the shadowy figure we were looking for.

In spite of that, Bobbi retelling her grand story to Hank Venture was one of the most stellar narratives to ever be put out by this team.

Fitting her in with THE Force Majeure. To find out by Doc & Jackson that we could’ve got a whole Majeure season was gut-wrenching.

That was Bobbi’s story to tell. 

Debra St. Simone in contrast to that was someone you thought would have the key between Rusty and the Monarch. Far from it. In this series all about villainy, she took on the ranks. And she did so by getting to the original female villain. The one we once knew long ago as Dr. Girlfriend.

With all the threads to tie, what they’ve done with Mrs. Monarch felt distinguished. 

Sheila’s been through hell. She’s had plenty of ups and downs with both the field she’s in, and her relationship with Monarch. In the end though, she’s loyal to both. 

Dr. Mrs. Monarch really earned her place, and with how heavy the two main plot points to this finale were, I’m delighted they were able to reach this conclusion with her so gracefully.

For the bulk of the movie, Hank & Dean were the two characters I was really on the edge of my seat for. Arguably more so than the situation with Rusty and Monarch. At first, that is.

Going back to what I’ve seen with these boys for decades, it felt like this was the only true way. 

From beginning to end, VB was committed to the boys not having a mom. As sad as it is, Rusty was forever so bitchy and feminine that I think I’ve always liked the idea of him channeling a mother.

And none of this will ever change how brave the boys are for all the shit that was inflicted upon them. For this movie, they did make Dean revert back to his wimpy qualities for comedy sake, but the point still stands. 

The outcome of Rusty & Monarch’s results messed me up. For hours, that was wrapped all over my mind. All I could say here at the time was dumb shit like “theory became reality.” 

Lots of people called it. You already knew of the long-standing, undeniable parallels between the two.

And after twenty years of being entertained by this show, it’s officially set in stone that they’re the same person. 

*With one having Baboon DNA*

There’s no way to ever look at Monarch the same after this. It’s incredible. It’s like EVERYTHING he’s ever done has a whole new meaning now.

I was rewatching “Dia de los Dangerous” just awhile ago. It’s only very interesting now that the first episode involves Monarch wanting to become a dad for the kidnapped brothers. On count of how lousy Rusty was from the start.

It does a little more to humanize Monarch; but it’s a two-way street. The scene with him and Doc in the elevator together was golden. It was good for Rusty to really turn around and be like “well, fuck you too!”

You got the best type of closure with both pairs of the Venture clan.

The idea of them not breaking the cycle, but continuing on their feud, as it’s just what they do. That’s something to stick with you.

Really helps the heart of this show go round-and-round. Even after just being eulogized.

With how fucked up I already felt within those final minutes, the post-credits scene, and the last VB scene I’ll ever see for that matter... could not have hit the nail on the end any better. 

H.E.L.P.eR’s festive chirping made it even more emotional. It was a wholesome way of taking you back to where it started. 

It showed the creation of the Venture brothers. It showed you how Hammer & Publick’s love-child was born.

No matter how much Warner makes my skin crawl, nothing will take away from Venture Bros being a whole quarter life of a artistic accomplishment. You have many talented people to thank for that.

One last time: Go Team Venture!

Also, I still got a free web copy of the movie for anyone that wants it.

5A126715-C958-4FC3-87B3-EA0CE614685A.jpeg.4dfbf89f0f2a69382be0f9cd7e2c7189.jpeg

Whoever gets to it first just let me know you got it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

Just something for the Friday night airing on [as].

I’m just gonna dump my Toonzone review(s) from before and leave it at that.

Reveal hidden contents

What was once is now lost

Yet could never die

[The Venture Bros: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart]

*submitted not long after digital release*

The past few hours staying up late has been a complete whirlwind. I was not prepared.

The revise of No Vacancy reminded me of the show I fell in love with all those years ago.

So much was cut (fuck you, Warner. Fuuuuuck you.) from this film. And yet, mysteries I’ve been following for decades... just out there now. Theory became reality.

They’ve been treading this ground just last season, but this was so much more. This is really how it ends.

Just days ago, because I saw Phantom Limb in one of the trailers, I had a silly thought that maybe they would revisit him. What a goddamn idiot I was to even care the slightest about Phantom Limb.

Doc & Jackson lamented having less Brock for this movie. One of the most satisfying moments for me from this entire flick was Samson sticking up for Rusty. 

Of course there was always love and loyalty there, and that was all brushed off by OSI laughter. I don’t know why I consider that A definitive closer for Brock. “Operation PROM” is obviously going nowhere. It’s just, full circle. Brock started out from the beginning as the killing machine reasonably not taking Doc seriously. In that moment, faith was placed onto Rusty. It felt good. It felt meaningful.

Hank goes through his own trials, as to be expected. Him, along with Orpheus being Orpheus was just the kind of humor I was looking for. And even that reached a heartfelt resolution.

All of Hank’s lovable imaginary personas, something he had to let go. Was time for him to grow up. And for the silly cape man to teach him this as well.

I honestly thought Monarch was going to die. And it’s scary how prepared I was for such to happen. Like saving the day would mean he’d have to pay his dues.

As I’ve said, theory became reality here. No loose ends. It’s all over and my brain’s still long exploded.

I’m not selling this the best way, and I’ll touch on this some more soon. I’m probably gonna watch this movie like five more times in less than a week. Sorry to dump this way.

Until then,

Go Team Venture.

*One week later*

Got my physical copy just today!

I flipped on the commentary and it was so nice hearing Doc & Jackson shoot the breeze about this series again. Even when it’s the end, it won’t be the last time they’ll talk about it. They’ve made that very much clear.

Creators hashed out the odd fascination with Brick Frog (we didn’t get any Scare Bear for that matter) and it’s hilarious how dismissive they are of him. The best thing really was having Phantom Limb and all those guys be fanboys for a sec.

The scene with Brock & Red Death getting into it was something that made the rounds in general. It inflates Brock’s status as a warrior one last time, only Brock is honest enough to give Red Death some credit.

Red Death was more calm and comedic than usual. Think that was the right move. You can have another scene where he shows off a blood thirst...... or you can just say “fuck it. Let’s make him a horse.”

Bobbi St. Simone & Debbie St. Simone were both endearing new leads to explore. Both had an equal part in cleaning up two loose ends pivotal to the world of Venture Bros.

And to that point: Both did so subversively enough to where it fits with the ultimate picture and the very status quo of this series.

By the time you’re finally introduced to Bobbi, you really felt she was always there. In fact, she was.

Where as Rusty (and Jonas Venture Sr. before him) always dabbled into grey areas, Bobbi St. Simone is only upfront in telling both the boys, and the audience, that she’s not the shadowy figure we were looking for.

In spite of that, Bobbi retelling her grand story to Hank Venture was one of the most stellar narratives to ever be put out by this team.

Fitting her in with THE Force Majeure. To find out by Doc & Jackson that we could’ve got a whole Majeure season was gut-wrenching.

That was Bobbi’s story to tell. 

Debra St. Simone in contrast to that was someone you thought would have the key between Rusty and the Monarch. Far from it. In this series all about villainy, she took on the ranks. And she did so by getting to the original female villain. The one we once knew long ago as Dr. Girlfriend.

With all the threads to tie, what they’ve done with Mrs. Monarch felt distinguished. 

Sheila’s been through hell. She’s had plenty of ups and downs with both the field she’s in, and her relationship with Monarch. In the end though, she’s loyal to both. 

Dr. Mrs. Monarch really earned her place, and with how heavy the two main plot points to this finale were, I’m delighted they were able to reach this conclusion with her so gracefully.

For the bulk of the movie, Hank & Dean were the two characters I was really on the edge of my seat for. Arguably more so than the situation with Rusty and Monarch. At first, that is.

Going back to what I’ve seen with these boys for decades, it felt like this was the only true way. 

From beginning to end, VB was committed to the boys not having a mom. As sad as it is, Rusty was forever so bitchy and feminine that I think I’ve always liked the idea of him channeling a mother.

And none of this will ever change how brave the boys are for all the shit that was inflicted upon them. For this movie, they did make Dean revert back to his wimpy qualities for comedy sake, but the point still stands. 

The outcome of Rusty & Monarch’s results messed me up. For hours, that was wrapped all over my mind. All I could say here at the time was dumb shit like “theory became reality.” 

Lots of people called it. You already knew of the long-standing, undeniable parallels between the two.

And after twenty years of being entertained by this show, it’s officially set in stone that they’re the same person. 

*With one having Baboon DNA*

There’s no way to ever look at Monarch the same after this. It’s incredible. It’s like EVERYTHING he’s ever done has a whole new meaning now.

I was rewatching “Dia de los Dangerous” just awhile ago. It’s only very interesting now that the first episode involves Monarch wanting to become a dad for the kidnapped brothers. On count of how lousy Rusty was from the start.

It does a little more to humanize Monarch; but it’s a two-way street. The scene with him and Doc in the elevator together was golden. It was good for Rusty to really turn around and be like “well, fuck you too!”

You got the best type of closure with both pairs of the Venture clan.

The idea of them not breaking the cycle, but continuing on their feud, as it’s just what they do. That’s something to stick with you.

Really helps the heart of this show go round-and-round. Even after just being eulogized.

With how fucked up I already felt within those final minutes, the post-credits scene, and the last VB scene I’ll ever see for that matter... could not have hit the nail on the end any better. 

H.E.L.P.eR’s festive chirping made it even more emotional. It was a wholesome way of taking you back to where it started. 

It showed the creation of the Venture brothers. It showed you how Hammer & Publick’s love-child was born.

No matter how much Warner makes my skin crawl, nothing will take away from Venture Bros being a whole quarter life of a artistic accomplishment. You have many talented people to thank for that.

One last time: Go Team Venture!

Also, I still got a free web copy of the movie for anyone that wants it.

5A126715-C958-4FC3-87B3-EA0CE614685A.jpeg.4dfbf89f0f2a69382be0f9cd7e2c7189.jpeg

Whoever gets to it first just let me know you got it.

Well, I tried it, and it worked for me.  

Dammit, my one friend (who’s no longer with us) loved VB.  He even got the shirts direct ordered during that last season, like the Blue Morpho shirt.  He would have loved this.

• Like 2

Well fuckin' played, writers, for stringing that along so well. Honestly. The twist was one of those "fucks' sake, that should've been obvious this whole time."

Hell, at this point it just leaves me asking: "Ok, we know the boys are clones. But clones of whom?" Hell, even Rusty said he doesn't know his own mom. It's just fuckin clones all the way down, isn't it?

It just finished up!

I really liked it. Everything was wrapped up in a way that I am satisfied with. I give it a solid 9/10.

While I am dismayed that it could not have been done as an entire final season, I am also kind of glad that it was done as a movie. The production and execution was very well done and spreading it out over a season may have not allowed them to go as all out as they did in the movie. I would have been happy either way and am just glad we were even able to get this. Only thing I wish we got to see in the finale was something that might show or hint at who Scare Bear is. But maybe it is better that we never know. 

I wish this was in a theater near me, it would have gotten me out to see it in person for the first time in like 3 years. 

Going to have to rewatch the whole series from start to finale now, it has been a couple years since I have watched it in a continuous sitting. One of my favorite over all [as] series, and this was a great finale. 

With all shows and stories that I like, I am sad that it is over, but so happy with how it was done. 

GO TEAM VENTURE!

• Like 1

Seriously, tho.. we know the boys are clones, and now we know Rusty.. "incubated" them.. are we absolutely sure they're not just clones of himself?

And for that matter, now knowing Malcolm (and probably Rusty?) are both also clones.. are we certain they're not actually just clones of Jonas?

Because that feels like an oddly appropriate conclusion. The whole family being one super-scientist's botched attempt at "living forever" and each generation is raised unaware yet somehow accidentally stumbles into the same outcome.

Which can also explain why each generation seems... intellectually diminished. Just typical clonal degradation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Seriously, tho.. we know the boys are clones, and now we know Rusty.. "incubated" them.. are we absolutely sure they're not just clones of himself?

And for that matter, now knowing Malcolm (and probably Rusty?) are both also clones.. are we certain they're not actually just clones of Jonas?

Because that feels like an oddly appropriate conclusion. The whole family being one super-scientist's botched attempt at "living forever" and each generation is raised unaware yet somehow accidentally stumbles into the same outcome.

Which can also explain why each generation seems... intellectually diminished. Just typical clonal degradation.

The specifics might have been left open for us to speculate over, but it is probably a reasonable assumption that Rusty is a clone of Jonas, and the brothers are clones of Rusty, maybe spliced with bits of other DNA, like Malcolm is with the Baboon DNA haha but I guess we will never know.. for now.. maybe.

Edited by atomicinumatt

On 9/4/2023 at 1:31 AM, atomicinumatt said:

The specifics might have been left open for us to speculate over, but it is probably a reasonable assumption that Rusty is a clone of Jonas, and the brothers are clones of Rusty, maybe spliced with bits of other DNA, like Malcolm is with the Baboon DNA haha but I guess we will never know.. for now.. maybe.

The boys initial DNA is Rusty plus the 'bits' of stuff that Debra was 'never going to use'. She basically implies that she paid for her powers with her genetic materials. So the original boys were as 'original' as they could be under the circumstances - they have two different genetic donors which is why they are twins but fraternal. And Hank got all the crazy genes. :D 

I managed to catch it on Friday on the tv because Amazon didn't deliver my copy until Thursday after I was already in Atlanta. -.-; And then on Sunday, the people who were going to host the Venture Bros Trivia Panel had an unfortunate complication happen and couldn't so I ended up being one of the people pulled in to host 'something'. So...we ported the movie to the big screen and anyone that showed up to attempt to win a prize got to see the movie on the big screen instead. And then there was a quick 10 question open audience trivia after where people won gold Monarch pins from the People's Republic of Venture booth so it still was trivia night. <.< >.> 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

The boys initial DNA is Rusty plus the 'bits' of stuff that Debra was 'never going to use'. She basically implies that she paid for her powers with her genetic materials. So the original boys were as 'original' as they could be under the circumstances - they have two different genetic donors which is why they are twins but fraternal. And Hank got all the crazy genes. :D 

I managed to catch it on Friday on the tv because Amazon didn't deliver my copy until Thursday after I was already in Atlanta. -.-; And then on Sunday, the people who were going to host the Venture Bros Trivia Panel had an unfortunate complication happen and couldn't so I ended up being one of the people pulled in to host 'something'. So...we ported the movie to the big screen and anyone that showed up to attempt to win a prize got to see the movie on the big screen instead. And then there was a quick 10 question open audience trivia after where people won gold Monarch pins from the People's Republic of Venture booth so it still was trivia night. <.< >.> 

I happened to also catch the west coast airing of Sunday nights (was way too drunk Friday night to coherently watch it haha) and on the second viewing I did notice Debra's comments about giving Rusty her 'bits she was never going to use' and assumed that it was spliced into the boys. I guess that is also where Hanks blond hair comes from! 

I wish I was able to go to this event thingy in Atlanta but had no idea about it haha ya lucky bastard! But I am happy that it sounds like you guys had a good time! 

• Like 1

So....for those that have managed to watch the movie [ I wanted to wait a little before posing this question ]...

What do you think 21's 'very specific fetish' porn stash on his phone was? :D:D:D He obviously had a lot on there because it was a running joke for that whole bit and the Monarch had to do a lot of scrolling to get to the bottom of the screen. But it must not have been something so frickin' horrible that the Monarch felt like doing more than a side-eye with no comment. 

My guess is cheerleader feet. I absolutely refuse to google that to see if it exists because I don't want my computer to get herpes but I'm sure it exists and that would be very specific. :D:D:D 

And if the answer is given in the commentary, spoiler your real answer. I haven't had a chance to hook up the blue-ray thingie yet to watch the extras.

• Haha 1

• Top Gun unpinned this topic